Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,628 comments
a sneak peak of what i splurged on today :sly:
Very nice. 👍 If I had a few hundred dollars sitting around, that is precisely where it would go.
LOL, you fell for it.
Fell for it? You asked a question and he answered it. :confused:
I'm probably going to get a comment from a mod that it is not a constructive comment and I need to refrain myself from making them in the future, :D
So then instead of hitting Submit Reply, step back, review your post and see if it's even worth posting. Don't leave it to a Mod to tell you that.

And I want a picture of this Yacht with the jet flying overhead and you sitting on the hood of the RUF. Oh, yeah. And the bananas. Almost for got the bananas.

Thanks for your comments, guys. :)

G.T
My parents bought a 52" version about a week ago, and have found out quite a lot about the telly since I've been watching my Dad set it up to his "perfectionism" standards. :P

It really is better than I expected. The blacks are really deep, still impressed after seeing Pioneer's latest Plasma model - they really aren't that far off. The detail is amazing in Blu-Ray movies, and in the few games I've seen running on it. To be honest, the games don't look a hell of a lot different to the 5 year old Pioneer that the parents were using, but the detail has somewhat improved and especially the black levels. 👍 Plus, it doesn't have that screen flicking that the Pioneer suffers from badly when you sit near it.

The Standard-def quality is only average really, but is pretty good for an LCD - I've seen better on Plasmas. You may have to go into the color balance settings to get rid of some of the dominant colours you get, like reds.

The other interesting setting is the "Motion Plus" 100hz, which gets rid of the jittering you get in scenes that pan across the screen. I think it doubles the framerate of a normal movie's 24fps. I personally do not like it since it makes the picture look unatural and it occasionally jitters, so we have it set to "low", which is preferable. It certainly shows off how far TV processing has come though. 👍

There are one or two issues with it though, some you may not care about. One is the inperfect 100hz simulation (unatural and jitters occasionally - I'd definitely have it off in games), and the current Firmware has a focusing issue which makes some details in scenes become out of focus when the scene is moving, and then snaps back into focus when it stops. There is an update for this, so my Dad called an engineer out to upgrade it, but he seems to have bricked the TV so it doesn't turn on anymore. :ouch:

Anyways... enjoy the TV. 👍

Thanks for that comment, James.
Yeah, I noticed the tendency towards red right away during 'House' and the 'I Am Legend' DVD, but it was easy to fix with a little tweaking.

As for SD quality, I have to say that, of the sets I compared it to in the store (LCD's - I didn't even consider plasma sets because I'm going to use it for playing PS3 a lot), it handled SD signal better than most, and only another set was apparently as good as this one. but it's subjective, especially on a store and with the way they have the TV's set up.
Bottom line, I have a very good image quality at home with cable, and it does look fantastic. Crisp, vivid, excellent black levels (none of the other 1080p LCD's I tested got this kind of black levels, it's like a new generation of LCD TV right here).

As you got a 52", probably some minor details get more noticeable than on a 40" set, could that be it?

Also, what are these guys referring to when they say this (on a review I saw online): "we have to urge you to avoid the ridiculously OTT Dynamic picture preset the TV ships with, for this can seriously mess up noise and colour tones." ?
What does OTT stand for? I looked on the menus and the Bible-thick manual and none of the functions goes by that name. Anyone knows what it is?

a sneak peak of what i splurged on today

*stuff me wants bad*
Congratulations, great buy. 👍

Also, what are these guys referring to when they say this (on a review I saw online): "we have to urge you to avoid the ridiculously OTT Dynamic picture preset the TV ships with, for this can seriously mess up noise and colour tones." ?
What does OTT stand for? I looked on the menus and the Bible-thick manual and none of the functions goes by that name. Anyone knows what it is?
OTT - over the top. Most TV's come shipped with the intention of looking good in a big, brightly lit warehouse type store competing for your attention with 20 other TV's so they jack all the brightness levels and contrast to make theirs look better. Picking up something like this will help with TV and audio calibration. I haven't used this new one, but a coworker has the first one Avia put out and I've used it for every piece of equipment I've purchased since working with him. Highly recommended as it is a foolproof way of getting the most out of new HT wares.

OTT probably means "over the top". It certain is pretty vibrant on its standard setting, but my Dad likes it this way. :P All he did was turn the backlight down to 6 turned the contrast down to 85 and turned the brightness down by 5.

There's loads of settings you can try. There's a list of them on AVForums:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757072

Where would be the best place to see some good settings for my 46" Bravia X series? im just useing defaults, but wouldnt mind getting some "perfectionists" settings and seeing how they look.

This might be a good place to start, S_F. Bear in mind that with (currently) 3813 posts, I didn't look at it too closely.

In addition to my previous post, I was going to show off my new bananas tomorrow :D but the surprise has been ruined! :(
it had better be a bunch of mini-red bananas or I won't be impressed. ;)

On a serious note, I suspect most who view and participate on this thread are not "showing off" (despite what the thread title says - and wish it didn't), but rather let the community of similar minded people know what they have purchased that others may also have some interest in and thus either offer ideas to others, or share their opinions about the products they bought.

I know I've used this thread in the past to discover a product I had never heard of before, or to PM the owner to get their frank opinion about the quality of the product.

In that sense, I think this can be a very useful thread.

BTW: Great camera choice Bubble Bunny! 👍

TB
Fell for it? You asked a question and he answered it. :confused:
So then instead of hitting Submit Reply, step back, review your post and see if it's even worth posting. Don't leave it to a Mod to tell you that.
you are sooo wrong! LOL :lol: I don't need to read my post again, maybe you have to read it again?

Ever heard of the word sarcasme/jokes? And before someone make a comment, yes I know what it means.
And I want a picture of this Yacht with the jet flying overhead and you sitting on the hood of the RUF. Oh, yeah. And the bananas. Almost for got the bananas.
:guilty: Don't have bananas. :( TB, if you read this, this is also a joke, get it, no, read it again!

Good bye to all!

I don't need to read my post again, maybe you have to read it again?
No, I don't.
Ever heard of the word sarcasme/jokes? And before someone make a comment, yes I know what it means.
[sarcasm] I'm not familiar with sarcasme. Care to explain it to me? [/sarcasm]

Trust me, kikie. If there's one thing that you don't need to explain to me it's sarcasm. The only problem with text based sarcasm without the appropriately placed smilie is no one can tell that it is indeed sarcasm. Especially when you didn't use any smilies at all.

No smilies = serious

:dopey:, :sly:, :P, [sarcasm] and on occasion ;) and :D = joking

Edit: I better put in my own sarcasm tags so you know I'm not completely serious. ;)

I got a new phone, a Samsung SCH-u410. I like it quite a bit more than my old LG.

8538-5748-167-175-250x275.jpg

Speaking of the Touch of Colors...

I gots me one of these:

410v818%2Bp8L._SS400_.jpg

41KXGuDo88L._SS400_.jpg

Samsung T220 22" widescreen LCD. The red accent around the edges looks really nice in person. It has a touch sensitive power button and it lights up the red accent near it just like my LNT4665F.

No pics yet but my last purchase was:

1992 Eagle Talon TSI AWD.
92k miles on the clock.
Needs a new tranny.
$900.
4g63T power.
I have big plans for this sucker (Read: 450+ awhp)

Here I come GT35R!

Pics. Now.

Always good to see another DSM'er. Go pay a visit to Shep, and you'll never deal with Second again :sly:
(Of course, I'm still on my original transmission. Shifts okay once it's warm.)

Recent purchase as of last Sunday:

Man%20Utd%20H%2007-08.jpg
4924_1_b.JPG

PortHSS0809.gif
ADI_40237_A.jpeg

Euro Cup fever!!!!! Will be supporting Portugal and Spain all the way (with Ronaldo and Torres playing for their respected countries :drool:)​

I got them for a bargain as well!!!! :D

Intel Q6600
M-Audio 192 soundcard with Midi in
Evga 8800gt
Antec 640w power supply
Asus p5k
Coolermaster CM940 (I think?). It's ugly, but functional
2 x 1g Corsair Dominator ddr2-1066
DSC_1720.jpg

Mamiya 645
Mamiya.jpg

Soon to buy some AKG 240s.
As much as I hate work, it has it's benefits. Consumerism is fun.

redwdpassport.jpg

£80, 250GB.
Just got me one of them too. In black to go with the PS3.

lg-flatron_m228wd-440x330_1.jpg

LG M228WD 22inch PC/PS3 monitor with built in digital TV.

I also got me one of these to make videos from GT5P (and other PS3 games)

pinnacle-video.jpg

I'm a bit late as it would have come in handy for the UKGTP, but it'll make the trip to the next one.

Creative Zen 16GB with extendable memory. Let's hope this doesn't break like everything else I have bought recently...

00231_creative-zen-pmp.jpg

panasonic-viera.gif

32" Panasonic Viera LCD-screen.

After our Nokia broke down after nearly 20 years of service (that TV was so full of win!), we bought an LCD TV. But it was useless; the proportions were wrong, the colours were too intense and the image was too unsharp. So that one got removed and we ordered a new TV :)

The Panasonic came in yesterday, and it looks much nicer than on images, some of you may think 32" is small, but being rational, smart, and not being a complete LCD-fanboy, a 32" is just perfect for the distance betweent the TV and the sofa at our place 👍

Latest Posts

Back