Show off your latest purchase!

• Thread starter McLaren
  • 36,678 comments
IMAG0578.jpg

This is perhaps kinda lazy of me, but I'll post this here since my phone can't handle the Scale Model Thread. Yes that's my personal account (if it really matters to anyone).

I'm not all that greedy, I'll buy my own stuff I just need some one to properly teach me to use it. I couldn't take a decent photo to save my life. But that looks like a bunch of high cost stuff...

3k8s8iws.jpg

Lowepro Vertex 300 AW. Big enough for a DSLR with a big lens or two DSLRs with medium lenses attached.
Great purchase! I had this exact same bag and absolutely loved it in every way.
Sadly, it was stolen in March 2012, along with all my cameras, lenses, filters, etc. :(

This is perhaps kinda lazy of me, but I'll post this here since my phone can't handle the Scale Model Thread. Yes that's my personal account (if it really matters to anyone).

Getting the first one, that must be luck.

Go get a lotto ticket and if you win, can you spare some scratch for ol fox?

stp40987.jpg

Been eyeing a high back chair from IKEA, but a peer who works in the Chairs department of Staples suggested to avoid mesh because of sagging.

Staples had this on their yearly "50% off chairs" event, but it would seem like the original price of this chair wasn't $350. IIRC It was indeed somewhere near the $170 range at regular price, so if this is true, Staples is as much of a scumbag as Canadian Tire.

@Shaun how are the grounds from the grinder you have? Does it transmit a lot of heat from the motor to the blades.

I can always tell a poor grind by the bitterness of taste.

Also is the espresso machine all metal and are the fixtures nice and firm? All the machines I've had the pleasure of seeing have been cheap and have plastic bits all over them.

@Sprite

Grinder does a pretty good job of not transferring too much heat, you do get a little bit but no where near enough to invoke any bitterness. It's not a commercial grade machine for sure but with a combination of grind time and coarseness I've managed to get the coffee dose very accurate to within a gram consistently using scales.
It did take a bit of time and wasted beans but was worth it in the end.

The machine for the most part is metal with the odd not so important bits being plastic, the under part of the drip tray for example.
Also feels very well made.
It is however a huge step up from my old machine and being dual boiler (not single thermoblock) is a massive step up in itself and with much better temperature control.
The ability to steam milk and extract espresso at the same time is also great.
Once getting my dose and tamp correct the machine will make cafe quality coffee with ease and in the right hands out do what many cafés serve up. Right now after a few days with it I'm very close to the quality that my roaster/café serves up.

Surprisingly for a home machine my biggest issue in the beginning was actually steaming the milk too quickly which wasn't giving that nice velvety texture. After playing a bit with how far to open the steam valve I'm almost there also. 👍

@Shaun thanks for the info. Coffee is hard to get spot on, with so many things to go wrong.

I really want a decent machine when I move. I love a decent cup and at the moment have to rely on either cafe bought or use my stove top espresso maker.

image.jpeg

The issue with one of those is the heat gets to the coffee before the water and as such scorches then making the drink bitter.

On the subscription for this. Box #1 has arrived, and the Tie Fighter Pilot with the red stripes is actually the chase version which is currently going on eBay for around $80 US. Kind of wish I had received the Captain Phasma shirt instead.

20151125_130544.jpg

Back