SNAIL - Endurance Series (Archive)

• Thread starter BradESPN
  • 3,788 comments
Regarding the new format. I was going to make a comment after last weeks race but it was the inaugural event so I figured it was par for the course. I wasn't expecting the aggressive driving on the opening lap. Maybe I need to adjust my expectations.

Last week the final front runners had gotten well out in front in the first third of the race. I was expecting something similar would happen tonight at some point. But then I decided it was just not going to be very fun driving 19-3/4 laps by myself after getting a busted rear diffuser and ending up in the gravel. I don't have a replay yet, the race is still in progress. I'm not trying to assign blame.

Can the guys starting in the back rows be a little more patient? I know I'm talking to people above my skill level - maybe I'm being impertinent. On tonights course the spread between D1/D4 fast laps in October (shortened course) was 5 seconds with no tire wear. The standard deviation across all divisions was somewhere over 1.5. I have no illusions about competing with D1 drivers even in a reverse grid. I will try and find places where I can lift and let you by when you're obviously closing at a rapid pace. I'd like to have a chance to do that.

Respectfully, Duc

Regarding the new format. I was going to make a comment after last weeks race but it was the inaugural event so I figured it was par for the course. I wasn't expecting the aggressive driving on the opening lap. Maybe I need to adjust my expectations.

Last week the final front runners had gotten well out in front in the first third of the race. I was expecting something similar would happen tonight at some point. But then I decided it was just not going to be very fun driving 19-3/4 laps by myself after getting a busted rear diffuser and ending up in the gravel. I don't have a replay yet, the race is still in progress. I'm not trying to assign blame.

Can the guys starting in the back rows be a little more patient? I know I'm talking to people above my skill level - maybe I'm being impertinent. On tonights course the spread between D1/D4 fast laps in October (shortened course) was 5 seconds with no tire wear. The standard deviation across all divisions was somewhere over 1.5. I have no illusions about competing with D1 drivers even in a reverse grid. I will try and find places where I can lift and let you by when you're obviously closing at a rapid pace. I'd like to have a chance to do that.

Respectfully, Duc

This is something I'm learning to do better myself, but yes I think the reverse grid combined with heavy damage is a recipe for disaster.

It can be summed up in one simple 'Golden Rule' of motorsports: It is the responsibility of the overtaking driver, meaning the car that is attempting to execute the pass, to make sure that the pass is made cleanly and incident free. If you don't agree with this rule or don't think it applies to you, this is not the league for you.

Taken from post #1 in the main SNAIL thread.

I have no illusions about competing with D1 drivers even in a reverse grid. I will try and find places where I can lift and let you by when you're obviously closing at a rapid pace. I'd like to have a chance to do that.

Unless you're being lapped, the above situation is entirely up to you whether you want to let them pass easily or not. Don't feel like you're obligated to just give it up. It's your position and you have every right to defend it (legally). Its their job to get around you without incident.

Respectfully, Duc

This was on me, Duc. As you said, I was being inpatient and way too aggressive for lap 1...

I’m not sure if the fun of reverse grid is worth the cost of all the chaos. I’ve now been the victim and perpetrator of a lap 1 incident in both of our reverse grid races.

I can’t update the standings until I get to work tomorrow, but I want to announce Prize A:

Prize A - @keepitsteady - Please make your car and track selection by EOD Friday so that we have time to practice.

So if I am reading this right, anyone of any skill can participate? I was busy last night, but being a newbie I was worried when the categories were listed as only D1 and D2.

So if I am reading this right, anyone of any skill can participate? I was busy last night, but being a newbie I was worried when the categories were listed as only D1 and D2.

D1 is mostly D1 drivers, with the odd D2 driver who's done well in previous seasons (as consistency plays a much bigger role in Endurance than speed)
D2 is a big mixed bag of D2-D5 drivers.

Is there a limit on car cost? Hopefully 2 Million.
If you can suggest a combo by tomorrow (Thursday) night, we can open it up to all the official drivers to see if it would prevent anyone from driving.

We’ll have to reconsider setting a hard limit on car cost before next season. Seems like it’s necessary in some form.

We have been aiming at 1 million just like sundays but with enough notice we could look at 2 million. Brad has been ok with 1.5 in the past. What do you have in mind?
The Mercedes W08 F1 car lol. I thought it would be something different we haven't done. But just to keep things simple I will choose a car more easily attainable.

Last edited:
The Mercedes W08 F1 car lol. I thought it would be something different we haven't done. But just to keep things simple I will choose a car more easily attainable.

I wouldn't mind, I know most people already have it.

Very hard to drive on a pad, especially with locked tuning. Maybe open up tunes.

@keepitsteady thats honestly not terrible. As long as we arnt running it at monza. Lol
Okay, if everyone is okay with it I would like to choose it. If not I will keep the track selection and change the car.

Car: Mercedes F1 W08 EQ Power+ 2017
HP: 890
Weight: 1605lbs

Track: Red Bull Ring @ 07:30 Clear

Tire Wear: 15x

Fuel Consumption: 7x

Okay, if everyone is okay with it I would like to choose it. If not I will keep the track selection and change the car.

@BradESPN and anyone else racing.
Would there be any objective to opening up tuning? The default tune for this car is very unstable, especially in the lower speeds/gears and is very difficult for controller drivers like myself.

If anyone is concerned that you won't be able to afford this car on time, please speak up now. We'll consider this the final choice if there are no concerns by Midnight tonight.

@BradESPN and anyone else racing.
Would there be any objective to opening up tuning? The default tune for this car is very unstable, especially in the lower speeds/gears and is very difficult for controller drivers like myself.

I really don't want to open up tuning as that would be a fundamental change to our series. I would be okay with a weight/hp adjustment, but that's just because we can ensure the setup is consistent across drivers.

Having run 20 or so laps, one consideration is the Time of Day at 07:30

There is a lot of sun in the driver’s eyes at times. Coming out of Remus (T2), out of Wurth (T5), and approaching Rindt (T7).

The first time we run this car, it may be advisable to reconsider the TOD to reduce the possibility of incidents.

Back