Space In General

The last man to walk on the moon, Gene Cernan, has passed.

https://www.nasa.gov/astronautprofiles/cernan
Cernan was also the last person to drive on the Moon, and because I write for car magazines I sneaked a tribute in disguised as a tech piece on what's required to drive on the Moon... :D

2017-02-17 21.41.27.jpg

Cernan was also the last person to drive on the Moon, and because I write for car magazines I sneaked a tribute in disguised as a tech piece on what's required to drive on the Moon... :D

View attachment 628452

All of a sudden I'm hot on driving the moon buggy. I invited my fencing master over and he took an interest in my GT6 setup, putting in a couple of hours, including driving on the Moon! Is there a thread for tips on driving the GT6 lunar rover missions? The buggy flips and overturns at the slightest provocation. Is this realistic? In the Apollo missions, the lads raced around throwing up clouds of rock and dirt. It's shocking that NASA would have allowed this, given the risk and cost of getting them there. But we're dealing with jet fighter jockeys and test pilots - some of whom liked to race around in fast boats and Corvettes for fun and games on Earth. Boys will be boys!

Here's a shot of the Apollo 15 Saturn V launch. Study the close-up of this shot and every other shot of a Saturn V launch you can find. I think you'll find that on every shot the first 8 feet aft of the Rocketdyne F-1 rocket nozzle exhaust is entirely dark red or black. This is raw, un-ignited fuel used as "curtain-cooling" for the combustion chambers, I think.
https://itdoesnthavetoberight.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/missile-saturn-v-launch-apollo-15.jpg

This raw fuel effect is clearly seen in this slow-motion video of the same launch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HcnmthntUo

In this slo-mo HD vid, notice the hefty plume of black smoke trailing behind the Saturn V at about 2:05 and beyond. This extra-rich burn is necessary keep the launch safer and more reliable - at the cost of a certain amount of efficiency. More modern rocket engine designs have solved this shortcoming, the Russian RD-181 family being particularly praiseworthy.

Last edited:
All of a sudden I'm hot on driving the moon buggy. I invited my fencing master over and he took an interest in my GT6 setup, putting in a couple of hours, including driving on the Moon! Is there a thread for tips on driving the GT6 lunar rover missions? The buggy flips and overturns at the slightest provocation. Is this realistic? In the Apollo missions, the lads raced around throwing up clouds of rock and dirt. It's shocking that NASA would have allowed this, given the risk and cost of getting them there. But we're dealing with jet fighter jockeys and test pilots - some of whom liked to race around in fast boats and Corvettes for fun and games on Earth. Boys will be boys!

Well, there is not a lot of gravity to bring the car back to the ground so I imagine that it's easier to flip it on the moon than on Earth, given that it's harder to reduce angular momentum. But I guess things like traction values are guesstimates so it's possible that it grips too well in the game.

Meanwhile in another part of the universe, organic compounds have been detected on Ceres: http://science.sciencemag.org/content/355/6326/719

Here's the new stream link for Sunday morning's launch. I will be sleeping in this time as I don't believe they will have the issue fixed and they may scrub it again. If it goes off without a hitch, I'll watch it afterwords. :P

I know those first stages are huge, but in those photos it looks quite small. I'd love to see one land in person.

I wonder if any of them are being reused yet, or if they are all still being flown as new booster bodies with new rocket motors?

Also, I notice India is about to join the club of nations that have boosters that can lift 4 tons or more into orbit. I think the Falcon 9's payload is close to 5 tons. But is that with two stages?

It seems the SpaceX rendezvous with the ISS has been temporarily aborted due to something wrong with the GPS.

There's not much to tell about those planets at this time, but it's fascinating to me the star and bodies similar to it are all young. That's because the universe is young: these ultra-cool stars (2550 K for TRAPPIST-1) go on for over a hundred billion years.

So, maybe Elon has in fact solved both problems!!

NASA is said to be readying its SLS-Orion for a 2018 orbit of the moon, but without crew.

SpaceX to fly private, paying citizens around the moon next year
Samantha MasunagaContact Reporter

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-spacex-announcement-20170227-story.html?cid=dlvr.it

In a first, SpaceX officials said Monday the company plans to fly private, paying citizens around the moon next year. It would mark the return of astronauts to deep space after 45 years.

The Hawthorne-based space company said in a statement that the two individuals have already paid a significant deposit to do a moon mission in its Dragon 2 spacecraft. Initial training, along with health and fitness tests, will occur later this year, SpaceX said.

“This will be a private mission to a paying customer,” said Chief Executive Elon Musk. He wouldn’t say who will make the flight, or how much they’re paying, only that it was “nobody from Hollywood.”

During a conference call with reporters, he said the two individuals know each other.

The capsule is to launch atop SpaceX’s Falcon Heavy rocket, which is set to have its first flight this summer.

Back