Space In General

First star-trails from me!
Too bad it only took 10-15 minutes due to the clouds photobombing. =(

Polaris is circled below.
untitled_by_unitoone-daq9yw9.jpg

What I find most interesting about space are all the interesting planets out there that sound even more crazier than science fiction.

The planet made out ice but is always on fire is what catches my attention a lot.

Another planet I'm fascinated by is the planet that goes around the Sun but doesn't spin. So one half is bliztering hot while the other half is ice cold, however in between is even sustainable for life as we know of.

I want to learn more about these extraordinary planets as well as possibly new planets, just picturing what it must be like there excites me :D

Last edited:
Another planet I'm fascinated by is the planet that goes around the Sun but doesn't spin. So one half is bliztering hot while the other half is ice cold, however in between is even sustainable for life as we know of.
That's Mercury. =)

Some more photos!

Moon, Mars and Venus.

luna_mars_venus_by_unitoone-daqup7l.jpg

I circled Neptune where it's supposed to be, but it's too dim and can't be seen on the photo. =(
Interesting how they lined up in a line.

lunar_trail_by_unitoone-daqupff.jpg

planetshine_by_unitoone-daqupcr.jpg

Um, we call that line the ecliptic plane. There's actually a more precise name, the invariable plane, that describes the plane a solar system's bodies generally conform to, while "ecliptic" actually refers to the apparent position of the sun from Earth. The Earth's ecliptic is close enough that we use ecliptic to describe the plane of the whole solar system.

Long story short, the fact that all of the planets (and generally, their moons, too) fall in the same plane (more or less) is why they appear along a straight line (more or less) in the sky. the only way for the planets to NOT be lined up is to be observing them from some place we've never been, i.e. well "above" or "below" the solar system.

From today's edition of spaceweather.com:

POLAR STRATOSPHERIC CLOUDS:
Earth's stratosphere is normally free of clouds. Not this weekend, though. Observers around the Arctic Circle are reporting an outbreak of brilliantly-colored icy clouds in the typically dry and transparent layer of our planet's atmosphere. Eric Fokke photographed the display on New Years Eve from the Lofoten Islands of Norway:

These icy clouds are a sign of very cold temperatures. For ice crystals to form in the arid stratosphere, temperatures must drop to around -85º C. High-altitude sunlight shining through tiny ice particles ~10µm across produce the characteristic bright iridescent colors.

Once thought to be mere curiosities, some polar stratospheric clouds (PSCs) are now known to be associated with the destruction of ozone. Indeed, an ozone hole formed over the UK in Feb. 2016 following an outbreak of ozone-destroying Type 1 PSCs.

These clouds really are as amazing as they look in Fokke's photo. They have much more vivid colors than ordinary iridescent clouds, which form closer to Earth in the troposphere. Once seen, a stratospheric cloud is never forgotten.

SpaceX returning to flight Jan. 8

Hopefully that date actually sticks.
To me it's not clear exactly what the root cause of the recent explosion was. They are not changing anything except the helium loading process, putting less stress on the COPV tanks. I think they are right in going to the old, less aggressive, more proven process. They would also be right in taking hard look at the loading of LOX, as well as Helium. TechX has put out a number of videos that point out dangerous shortcomings of the LOX and Helium loading system in the strongback.

We want and need SpaceX to succeed. I'm sure their interagency investigation team want the same thing, although I'm not sure the FAA has quite approved the planned static test and launch. By the way, the payload will now not be loaded until after the static test! I wish them luck.

SpaceX Falcon 9 Launch Delayed, Again

Weather issues. Currently re-scheduled for the 14th.

Also, reason for the last incident:

Last week, after an in-depth Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)-monitored investigation, SpaceX announced it had pinpointed the cause of the mishap. Its investigation revealed “buckles” in the inner liner of one of the composite overwrapped pressure vessels (COPVs), which are used to store liquid helium.

“Although buckles were not shown to burst a COPV on their own, investigators concluded that super chilled liquid oxygen can pool in these buckles under the overwrap. When pressurized, oxygen pooled in this buckle can become trapped; in turn, breaking fibers or friction can ignite the oxygen in the overwrap, causing the COPV to fail,” SpaceX explained in an anomaly update. “In addition, investigators determined that the loading temperature of the helium was cold enough to create solid oxygen, which exacerbates the possibility of oxygen becoming trapped as well as the likelihood of friction ignition.”

In order to prevent such catastrophic COPV failure, the company plans to — in the short-term — change the way it loads helium, and, in the long term, implement design changes to the COPV to stop it from buckling.

New photos from me!

My best picture of the Moon!
luna_by_unitoone-darqkdh.jpg

Took two pictures at different times to see how the shadow creeps on the Moon.
interesting_luna_2_by_unitoone-daugrnw.jpg

Compared the "super" Moon and the Sun sizes. Will make another comparison this month.
luna_and_celestia_by_unitoone-dauu81a.jpg

Mars does look red 8D
mars_by_unitoone-dat2659.jpg

Venus is VERY bright and has a crescent shape.
venus_by_unitoone-dat2620.jpg

Sun shape comparison during the sunset.
sun_shape_comparison__by_unitoone-datfcvu.jpg

Climate cycles governed by galactic scale weather system?

Planet Earth (and our solar system) is presently located in and passing through a local spur arm of the Milky Way galaxy. In the arms are where most stars are born and die. When they die in supernova explosions, they generate cosmic rays which can affect Earth's climate. This cosmic ray flux is mitigated when the Suns's magnetic field and Earth's magnetic field are strong, as they have been for several human generations. The problem is that these magnetic fields are now weakening and the solar ray flux has increased by more than 12% since 2015, this process showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon. The cosmic rays are thought to create ions and aerosols which nucleate water droplets and form clouds. The cosmic forecast for Earth is more low level clouds, especially over the ocean. This generally means cooling, although locally other stuff can happen. Although this developing scenario is not yet universally accepted for understandable social, political and economic reasons, the solar physics and atmospheric chemistry is real science that should be looked at somewhat seriously, IMO.

Orion-Arm-1.jpg

Our Sun makes one orbit of the galactic core every ~250 million years.

Sun-galaxy-galactic-year-1024x921.jpg

Back