Space In General

Pretty excited about the imminent supermoon (~24h to go).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-the-sky-than-it-has-been-since-1948/?0p19G=c

Screenshot_2016-11-13-11-44-29~2.jpg

It will be the closest supermoon to Earth since January, 1948 and we won’t see it this close again until November, 2034.

I went outside at 1am last night to scout for a good spot and it was already fairly big. I hope for clear skies for everyone who plan to go out and watch it tomorrow.

This was already (partially) theorized as why it went boom. Glad to know it wasn't something like a faulty structure component as before. Also goes back to my previous claim about how they exhausted the simple theories and found a plausible yet very rare or limited experience. Super cooled oxygen phase shifting to solid and then reacting and potentially doing what we saw...is a far out there problem to an engineering puzzle.

Almost supermoon from our doorstep
Can't believe it. I'm not seeing anything at all in my night sky.
It's completely covered with clouds. I really hope it clears up before the night is
through, I would truly like to see it the way you just did.

But there's still time for others as it's not yet officially full in North/South America.
Monday morning, the moon sets at 6:36 a.m. (in Washington) — so if you scoot out of bed around 5 a.m., you’ll see the moon low in the western sky plump and full.

The moon officially becomes full on Monday at 8:52 a.m. — it won’t be visible on the East Coast at the exact moment of fullness, but it will on the West Coast.

The nearly full moon next rises Monday evening at 5:30 p.m., so look for it close to the eastern horizon. However, clouds may then be an obstruction not only in the Mid-Atlantic, but across much of the nation’s northern tier.

It's completely covered with clouds. I really hope it clears up before the night is
through, I would truly like to see it the way you just did.

Moon is still up the whole night, hope you can catch a glimpse. The full moon is incredible bright for the naked eye, the picture is a closeup and dimmed down with a lot more contrast than in real life. If the moon sets in the morning it'll be a beautiful sight as the moon appears a lot bigger when close to the horizon.

The fun part of shooting the super moon is having it stand out against something. I went out yesterday when it popped up, but I wasn't impressed by the size of it. I've certainly seen it bigger.

There's really nothing all that special about a supermoon, and all the Facebook hype and photographers posting all their pictures is mostly just annoying. Yeah, it's slightly larger at perigee than when it's full at apogee, but unless you see a side-by-side comparison you wouldn't know the difference. It's a plain ol' full moon. Save your photo effort for an eclipse!!!! :)

And also: No, the moon is not "larger" at the horizon. When it's close to the horizon you see it against trees, buildings, whatever, and there's a sense of scale that you don't have in the empty sky when it's higher. In actuality, the moon on the horizon is very slightly smaller because it's a bit further away (+/- 4000 miles) from the viewer when low in the sky than when directly overhead.

Now on those special days when Mars approaches Earth and is bigger than the moon.... now that's something special!!!! Be sure and watch for that on FB!!!

There's really nothing all that special about a supermoon, and all the Facebook hype and photographers posting all their pictures is mostly just annoying. Yeah, it's slightly larger at perigee than when it's full at apogee, but unless you see a side-by-side comparison you wouldn't know the difference. It's a plain ol' full moon.
science_large_large_large.jpg
:P
Sometimes small things tickle the mind most, like this bad shot of plain ol' Earth from too far away:
Pale_Blue_Dot.png

Moon is still up the whole night, hope you can catch a glimpse.
I couldn't. There were thick clouds and fog for a good 48 hours over the
entire city and we couldn't see the sky at all during the time span when the moon
was at it's nearest. Total letdown and it means I will have to wait eighteen
years for the next one. : )

I was lucky to get a 10 minute break in the clouds which are pretty much covering the whole of the UK to get a good clear look at it and took pictures holding my camera against a pair of binoculars.

It did look noticeably bigger to me if only slightly, the craters looked just that bit more defined and the moonlight was quite a bit brighter.

I got a good look at it just coming up off the eastern horizon. As much as I was hoping for something kind of special, it just looked like a full moon.

3b44739fe27859a5a7dc5c3b63a64288
A stunning new photo of Saturn's north pole spotlights the planet's bizarre hexagon-shaped vortex and beautiful bands of swirling winds. NASA's Cassini spacecraft captured this dramatic view on Sept. 5, as the probe flew 890,000 miles (1.4 million kilometers) above the planet.

Visited the Kennedy Space Center last week, first time since I was in 8th or 9th grade, back in the earliest 70s...

Rocket garden
31042502422_a94811f59c_b.jpg

Mercury-Redstone with a little "artistic" placement of my cell phone in its shadow
30818475590_b6fb187984_c.jpg

Mockups of the Mars rovers
30378791023_b617480e12_b.jpg

The exhibit hall for the Atlantis shuttle
31150041656_675c1dc90c_c.jpg

and the shuttle itself
31042514792_68e7e63827_k.jpg

The actual model tossed into the meeting of engineers, to describe the shuttle concept of gliding to Earth from orbit, and being reused.
31150035546_ef6c1f8942_b.jpg

On the bus tour, an mockup of the Orion capsule
31150034916_d93c2be3f1_b.jpg

The tower for the new SLS rocket, under construction on one of the platforms used since Apollo, and for the shuttles. It will sit in the Vehicle Assembly Building, the SLS will be stacked, and the same crawlers used since Apollo will carry it out to the launch pad.
31150034646_b3b462f03c_c.jpg

Pad 39-A, leased for 20 years to SpaceX, initially for the Falcon heavy booster system. (39-B has been cleared and configured as a "clean" pad, with no structures other than 4 tall towers for lightning protection. 39-B is not part of the tour.)
30378798203_4f671e255c_b.jpg

SpaceX's assembly building for the Falcon heavy. The booster will be assembled on its side, rolled to the pad and erected.
31150060556_004b0a2bfc_b.jpg

One of three remaining Saturn V rockets, built for Apollo but not used when Apollo was cut short. One is in Houston, one is in Huntsville, and this one is here in Florida. They would have launched Apollos 18, 19, and 20.
31042533312_06424d083f_b.jpg

A display of the scale of the thing!
31071643171_b0b0a75e6c_b.jpg

July 21, 1969 newspapers from around the world
30818486730_2e61b8079e_b.jpg

View from behind the Saturn exhibit hall, which is adjacent to the VIP launch viewing area
30818485610_f4f59830ed_k.jpg

My finger on a moon rock, which at 3.7 billion years old, is the oldest thing I will ever touch, as long as I live!
30818479680_ff2825b5a2_c.jpg

More, if interested, in the Flickr album here.

Last edited:
Successfully tested EM drive violates basic laws of physics. That's a problem. Even though it seems to work, it is impossible.

Additional videos

Last edited:
My finger on a moon rock, which at 3.7 billion years old, is the oldest thing I will ever touch, as long as I live!

Fantastic stuff!

Just one thing... that moon rock's a baby, there are accessible Earth rocks (Canada springs to mind) at over 4 billion years ;)

Successfully tested EM drive violates basic laws of physics. That's a problem. Even though it seems to work, it is impossible.

Additional videos

Wow, I hate you now. I watched the video, saw AIAA format report and had to close it cause I was reminded of my difficult semester and having to write 6 of these, you always find a way Dotini, good job.

However, if it continues to "seem to work" and does so to a repeatedly-demonstrable and useful extent that that really doesn't matter - all kinds of verifiable quantum theories violate the same laws.

However, if it continues to "seem to work" and does so to a repeatedly-demonstrable and useful extent that that really doesn't matter - all kinds of verifiable quantum theories violate the same laws.
Oh, it matters. Proper physicists have had nearly violent mental and verbal outbursts of anger and fury at having to deal with this putative "motor". It is almost laughable, even pitiable, to see the science establishment deal with challenges and threats such as this device. @Dennisch, we need to get some cartoons found and popcorn cooking!

Oh, it matters. Proper physicists have had nearly violent mental and verbal outbursts of anger and fury at having to deal with this putative "motor". It is almost laughable, even pitiable, to see the science establishment deal with challenges and threats such as this device. @Dennisch, we need to get some cartoons found and popcorn cooking!

No one likes to have to go back and rework stuff.

Proper physicists have had nearly violent mental and verbal outbursts of anger and fury at having to deal with this putative "motor".

The guy in the first video isn't very angry but he points out most of the flaws of the EM drive experiments.

all kinds of verifiable quantum theories violate the same laws

Can you point out some? I'm not aware of any theory that is in disagreement of laws established by observations and experiments – after all theories are ruled out by experiment.

As they still haven't found a decent theoretical explanation of the EM drive workings I still suspect bogosity physics as the most reasonable explanation – the bogosity field dynamics can explain most anomalous forces as mediated by a new elementary particle, the bogon and it's associated bogon field. Yet the bogon uncertainty principle guarantees that those forces disappear by bogon field collapse and look like measurement errors when experiments are repeated by independent researchers. :P

Back