Terrain Testing/Exploring (Bump/Jump Maps) (OP Updated 10/3/15)

• Thread starter Quakebass
  • 103 comments
If you mean a full-sized hill, then no, you have to rely on the terrain map for than.

However, if you use frequent anchor points (not at maximum density), you might be able to encourage the terrain you're looking for. Not entirely sure though, there's still a lot of things that I've still yet to test.

Not really a full sized hill. I should've rephrased, like an incline then a decline. I just don't want a straight flat track. I tried making an inclined and banked track with a couple bumps But It keeps ending up with 1-2 jumps every time. I use the Eifel Layout if that helps.

Not really a full sized hill. I should've rephrased, like an incline then a decline. I just don't want a straight flat track. I tried making an inclined and banked track with a couple bumps But It keeps ending up with 1-2 jumps every time. I use the Eifel Layout if that helps.

It doesn't really seem controllable, it looks like the bumps occur wherever the anchor points are located. You could try putting anchor points around 50-100m apart (as opposed to the minimum 12-13-ish) somewhere over a hill, but since I haven't really tested much outside the maximum anchor density, I have no idea what the results will be.

It doesn't really seem controllable, it looks like the bumps occur wherever the anchor points are located. You could try putting anchor points around 50-100m apart (as opposed to the minimum 12-13-ish) somewhere over a hill, but since I haven't really tested much outside the maximum anchor density, I have no idea what the results will be.

Alright man. Yeah I'm still tinkering with it myself. I've made some decent inclines and some pretty good banked curves I'm just trying to experiment with the curves as some are banked light and some are banked hard and cause the car to jump. Nevertheless, Appreciate your assistance! :cheers: lemme know if you find anything about this.

@Quakebass after testing. I have confirmed the minimum section length is directly connected to track width.
A 6m track can have sections created at 32m and shrrted to 11m. And a 15m track creates at 40m and shorted to 15.5m.
Each meter of track width seems to equate to 0.5m minimum section length. Decreasing radius had no effect on the distance obtained. The distance also is teh same across all maps at this time.

Last edited:
After some fun yesterday on your bump tracks I wondered if the AI follow a players multiplayer physics since they cannot flip? Just a guess that seemed right. I'm really loving these tracks keep up the work 👍

These tracks are impressive and so forth but they didn't really have go karts in mind... :lol:

HMfdN3edTmE4KDOFTg_0.jpg

BhomXtkDhSkjUDrAi_0.jpg

zPjjZraj56WYMNviI_0.jpg

dj1NyXiQolvoNx4fIu_0.jpg

LFefsnF2GJsKdA0La_0.jpg

7GGUvrvgzHvKJlpYH_0.jpg

Potential AI Discovery

I noticed something interesting that I didn't pick up on at first while playing with my rough terrain maps - the AI seems to be aware of elevation changes. On my jump tracks, the AI would usually slow down quite a bit before the bumps, and I had just assumed it was a result of a miscalculation due to dozens of corner anchor points being crammed into a small space. However, the anchor points are laid out in the exact same fashion on the rough terrain maps as they are on the jump maps, and yet, the AI cars didn't slow up at all. They'd go full throttle all the way through. The only plausible explanation for this (as far as I understand) is that the AI takes elevation change into account, likely to calculate grip. It knows that hitting the larger bump at the current speed will cause the wheels to lose contact with the ground, therefore destabilizing the vehicle, which would allow it to miss an apex or go off track entirely, and therefore requires a speed reduction (That's my theory on AI function, anyways). Although, this could be based on the theme I used - AI calculation could be different per-theme to better fit the elevation present per-map. I won't know for sure until I try running rough road on the level terrain of the other three themes.

Additionally, I'll be doing more aggressive drive tests to see what's up with the AI not flipping over - if it's really just me going insane, getting extremely lucky, or if there's legitimately a difference between the physics of AI and player cars. I swear I specifically remember having a situation on Daytona where AI rolled over - so this is a really interesting prospect - physics could not only differ player-AI, but also depending on what section of the game you're in.

College and work is a thing, so I didn't have time to put more than the rough terrain discovery in the opener of the OP. I've also got a personal video project that people are relying on, so it's gonna be harder to update as frequently. I'll have time to post observations/findings as I see them, but rewording them into summaries and conclusions for the OP will have to be less frequent. As it stands now, the next update will include all the findings and tracks built since the last update, and I think I'll start making a list of confirmed/semi-confrimed facts (otherwise, as more observations/discoveries are made, the post will grow and make it harder and harder to kind the key facts). That way, the discovery log can stay intact, but you can just skim the top to get the juicy stuff. I also might eventually add some tutorials on how to get certain results, but I think that'll depend on how effectively I can communicate through images and text. @Otaliema - I'll also credit you for that section length finding.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask my question, but I'll try:
What I want to do is re-building Monza, but with the old steep-oval-curve embedded and integrated in the layout.
So the drivers would start the normal way as usual, drive the whole actual course until the end of the Start/Finish line, where they would drive the oval back to the initial Start/Finish line.
The picture may illustrate what I mean:

Monza%20mit%20Steilkurve%20zusammengef%C3%BChrt.jpg

There are 2 problems now, where the 1st one can be easily solved, that is
1.) two parts (the 2 Long straights) must not be too close together, but that's okay.
2.) and this is the REAL problem: apparently the roads cannot cross (which I understand, since an intersection on a race track would be stupidity), but I also did not find a way to build some sort of a bridge or underpass (something that also in Suzuka exists as Suzuka is laid out like the form of an 8 ), and in Monza it also really exists, it is the part circled in blue in the picture where the actual track leads underneath the old oval (that underpass is called "Sotto passagio").

Any ideas how to build something like that in the Track Editor?
I started out to build this with "Eifel flat", but maybe another type of terrain would allow this?
I don't know, it's my 1st day with the Track Editor and any help or hint is welcome!
Thanks!!

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask my question, but I'll try:
What I want to do is re-building Monza, but with the old steep-oval-curve embedded and integrated in the layout.
So the drivers would start the normal way as usual, drive the whole actual course until the end of the Start/Finish line, where they would drive the oval back to the initial Start/Finish line.
The picture may illustrate what I mean:

Monza%20mit%20Steilkurve%20zusammengef%C3%BChrt.jpg

There are 2 problems now, where the 1st one can be easily solved, that is
1.) two parts (the 2 Long straights) must not be too close together, but that's okay.
2.) and this is the REAL problem: apparently the roads cannot cross (which I understand, since an intersection on a race track would be stupidity), but I also did not find a way to build some sort of a bridge or underpass (something that also in Suzuka exists as Suzuka is laid out like the form of an 8 ), and in Monza it also really exists, it is the part circled in blue in the picture where the actual track leads underneath the old oval (that underpass is called "Sotto passagio").

Any ideas how to build something like that in the Track Editor?
I started out to build this with "Eifel flat", but maybe another type of terrain would allow this?
I don't know, it's my 1st day with the Track Editor and any help or hint is welcome!
Thanks!!
With bridges there is no way to build them known at this time. Same with tunnels.
You could replicate a tunnel with a bunch of cross track gates on top of each other, wouldn't be the same but it's as close as we get right now.

What or where are cross track gates? And how to place them (where)?
:confused:
At the top of the app you have controls to lay down scenery or curbs. It's under scenery option. Generally it's located off to the right of the options. just tap on them to see their names.
For Efile flat it's a odd gate.

Thanks to @eran0004 @NFSCARBON1 and @Quakebass.

I was not impressed with the app when it came out. But after reading this thread WOW! Most useful thread of the year.

I had my first online test of a new track tonight in my open lobby. As you can see the 1st jump is very problematic. I've tried various chicanes and corners to try to slow you down, but I just can't seem to get the cars speed right to negotiate that jump without bouncing out of control. (me in the 2nd lap)

Thanks to this thread, I'm sure I will get that first jump figured out.

BTW here is what that first jump looked like when it was first generated.

Last edited:
@Chrunch Houston If you want to keep the jump and just bring down the speed you can create an S-bend before the jump, maybe something like this?

View attachment 457160
I have tried that way and the other way. the only way would be to pull up Northwest and make another leg, but I want to keep the track short.

I think I am going to have to work on lessening the slope on the jump. catching a little controllable air is better than catching a lot of uncontrollable air.

They are either a walkway with stairs like a timing structure.
View attachment 457106

Hi Doc, thanks for your hint but I'm obviousely too stupid to make use of it.
All I get is this:

20151005_101157.jpg

It's the same when 2 parts of a track are too Close together, then the blue area to the left nd right of the track turns redish and you can't lay an anchor Point there...
:banghead: :crazy: :dopey: :grumpy: :mad: 👎

Thanks to @eran0004 @NFSCARBON1 and @Quakebass.

I was not impressed with the app when it came out. But after reading this thread WOW! Most useful thread of the year.

I had my first online test of a new track tonight in my open lobby. As you can see the 1st jump is very problematic. I've tried various chicanes and corners to try to slow you down, but I just can't seem to get the cars speed right to negotiate that jump without bouncing out of control. (me in the 2nd lap)

Thanks to this thread, I'm sure I will get that first jump figured out.

BTW here is what that first jump looked like when it was first generated.

I'm glad it's helped you so far!

At this point, I'm still testing general track-laying methods, I haven't yet gotten to adjusting existing track/anchors to see it's effects. Since the first jump track, I've been predicting that very intricate, time-consuming tinkering with anchor points (both position and rotation-wise) will need to be done to get results. I have no way of knowing if track outputs are predictable or (largely) random based on anchor inputs until I get around to testing it, but I'd definitely recommend doing tests yourself - at least as long as you aren't afraid it might mess up something in your layout. Making slight adjustments in your anchor points in problem areas - slight movements from right-left/forwards-back, or rotation - all will minutely affect where the track gets laid over the terrain, and therefore could drastically change how it handles the elevation.

Once I test rough terrain on other themes, different ways of laying dense anchors, and road width, I'll try to make this stuff priority. 👍

Hi Doc, thanks for your hint but I'm obviousely too stupid to make use of it.
All I get is this:

It's the same when 2 parts of a track are too Close together, then the blue area to the left nd right of the track turns redish and you can't lay an anchor Point there...
:banghead: :crazy: :dopey: :grumpy: :mad: 👎

You can't make crossovers in the course maker app. Period. I think you misunderstood what Doc said (he was just telling you about a trackside object "bridge", not how to make a track bridge over another).

You can't make crossovers in the course maker app. Period. I think you misunderstood what Doc said (he was just telling you about a trackside object "bridge", not how to make a track bridge over another).

You are right, I did not quite understand what Doc said.
One reason for that may be that it's only my 2nd day on GT6 Track Editor and the other may be, that I am not a native English speaker (and neither are you).

What or where are cross track gates? And how to place them (where)?
:confused:

Usually you would like to place them in every end/start of a sector. Unfortunately you can't do it most of the times because the sectors are placed where you can't put on of these structures or if you decrease the "angle of the path" (can't recall the right name) in the editing part, you won't be able to place anything beside the track.

There's a lot to improve on this app, one of those is to place the sector splits exactly where we want them.

Usually you would like to place them in every end/start of a sector. Unfortunately you can't do it most of the times because the sectors are placed where you can't put on of these structures or if you decrease the "angle of the path" (can't recall the right name) in the editing part, you won't be able to place anything beside the track.

There's a lot to improve on this app, one of those is to place the sector splits exactly where we want them.
Indeed!

I try to place a bridge/gantry roughly where the breaking point would be (if it will allow me...)

yep. :) But if you're making a replica of a real circuit the sectors won't be anywhere near the real ones. It's a shame. With fictional tracks I'm ok with fictional sectors ^^

Back