Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,587 comments
Weird. That seems like a lot of pre-orders. I just cannot get over how stupid this thing looks.

Tesla-Cybertruck-vs-Ford-F150-1.jpg
https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-ford-f-150-rematch-accepted-elon-musk/
Elon has accepted a rematch from Ford over this test following claims that the F150 was not in 4x4 mode/was a 2WD model, and some further allegations that Tesla is comparing either the $50,000 or $70,000 AWD model to a cheaper F150. There's been a small desire to see the tri-motor model go up against an equally-price SuperDuty variant.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-ford-f-150-rematch-accepted-elon-musk/
Elon has accepted a rematch from Ford over this test following claims that the F150 was not in 4x4 mode/was a 2WD model, and some further allegations that Tesla is comparing either the $50,000 or $70,000 AWD model to a cheaper F150. There's been a small desire to see the tri-motor model go up against an equally-price SuperDuty variant.
This is going to be the new Model S vs Taycan Nurburgring bollocks, isn't it.
Then why? Makes no sense.
Because they can. Because it's cheap, and because it makes them look forward-thinking to do so.

Also, I suspect a few think they can sell on their order slots later to people wanting to skip the queue, even though that's not really a thing worth doing once the cars are actually in production and Tesla starts meeting demand.

As a sometimes game developer, I have been used to seeing things like collision models. The body style of this Tesla Cybertruck reminds me of a very basic collision model mesh for a 3D model vehicle. I didn't immediately jump out on discussing this thing as it is, but I've finally gotten to speak up about it. Quite peculiar looking automobile to say the least. But if it all works and works well, then that's all that matters- function over form.

This is going to be the new Model S vs Taycan Nurburgring bollocks, isn't it.

This time the winner will be the one who can add the most weight.

....Its styling is controversial, sure, but I'm currently more interested in how Bollinger will respond after this unveiling.

In case you don't remember, Bollinger is an American company promising to deliver EV pick up trucks and SUVs by 2021. Their B2 pick up (which looks like a stripped-out Defender) is supposed to cost over $120,000 and tow about 7500 pounds. Basically, double the Cybertruck's price but half the towing capacity. I don't know what the actual pricing for the vehicle will be - I'm just going off on a TG article I read earlier.

Personally I'm just curious how the 500 mile range fares when the truck also has to pull 14,000lbs. If I had to guess I'd say the beefiest version is probably around 6-7k lbs, so you're almost tripping the weight the batteries and motor have to handle, plus the rolling resistance of the trailer, and electrical draw of the trailers brakes. I'm not going to judge it too early, but range while loaded is the one thing that's got me curious about this truck's ability to compete with traditional trucks.

The stock price drop was on Friday. Looks like the tweet came out on Saturday. Markets are closed over the weekends. The real test of whether that tweet does anything will be how Tesla stock does on Monday when the markets reopen.

Fair enough. :)

Tesla.PNG

I guess it did spike a tad on Monday morning, but after that, not so much. :scared:

But hey, at least Elon got his attention!

Also, most people can't drive big trucks. Even if they'd like to think they can. Keep small objects including children away. ;)

Manufacturers can get away with a lot when it comes to preproduction cars.
I don't think they're allowed to just omit basic safety features though. Or rather, I don't think their legal departments would let them.

But then again I stopped trying to make sense of Tesla's decisions a while ago, so whaddaIknow.

Tesla's stock is way to volatile for me. I had it for a bit and it was always all over the place. I think I bought in at 180-ish and sold it around 300, which was fine for me since I nearly doubled my investment.

I'm guessing with that big of a rush, you'll see it really do a rollercoaster over the next few days with massive swings like that before it levels out somewhere around 680-700.

Anyone else find this hilarious?

View attachment 887689

Tesla's stock is way to volatile for me. I had it for a bit and it was always all over the place. I think I bought in at 180-ish and sold it around 300, which was fine for me since I nearly doubled my investment.

I'm guessing with that big of a rush, you'll see it really do a rollercoaster over the next few days with massive swings like that before it levels out somewhere around 680-700.

TSLA is waaaaay to unpredictable and volatile for my taste. It's a case of crazy company meets crazy customers. The result is... predictably... crazy.

I love what Tesla is doing, but I wouldn't touch the stock.

As of my typing this, it's over $920 now. What the heck is going on? :lol:

I'm guessing you have some. My personal advice (and this this is not a guarantee of any returns or future value) is that it's a good time to sell.

As of my typing this, it's over $920 now. What the heck is going on? :lol:

It's probably a short squeeze. Which is good for the short term, but can cause havoc in the long term for the company. Essentially, it's a huge influx of investors over a short period of time, but it ends up outpricing itself and people can no longer afford the share. Once it plateaus, then you see a massive selloff causing the company to lose a huge chunk of investment. This is problematic if the investment money is already spent.

It could also be related to fraud. The shares could be getting inflated so that short-sellers get in on the action and then when the price falls, the shorts make their move and make a bunch of money. This seems less likely, but I believe this one of the things that happened with Enron if I remember correctly.

It's hard to say, but any stock that goes up that quickly is bound to fall quickly. The market isn't built to take kindly to massive swings. But as @Danoff says, if you have it, sell it and make a tidy profit. If it continues to go up, sure you lose out on some money, but you should never look at the market that way. I had Lockheed Martin when it was 37 a share and sold it at around 100. Now it's 428. While in hindsight I should've held onto it, but tripling my investment is nothing to sneeze at.

The stock seems grossly overvalued. Tesla would have to capture enormous amounts of market share for it to come close to a reasonable cap ratio in the future. The stock is effectively pricing in their complete dominance of the entire automotive industry. With well-funded companies like Rivian and Lucid coming online very soon, not to mention nearly all of the legacy automakers throwing massive R&D at Tesla's market space...I don't see Tesla taking over the world.

Really should have bought some shares just before the Cybertruck launch as I almost did though. :lol:

The stock seems grossly overvalued. Tesla would have to capture enormous amounts of market share for it to come close to a reasonable cap ratio in the future. The stock is effectively pricing in their complete dominance of the entire automotive industry. With well-funded companies like Rivian and Lucid coming online very soon, not to mention nearly all of the legacy automakers throwing massive R&D at Tesla's market space...I don't see Tesla taking over the world.

Really should have bought some shares just before the Cybertruck launch as I almost did though. :lol:
It took a considerable dump today. I know, because I bought a share yesterday, sold it today, made $150, and watched it crash shortly thereafter.

I hope it goes back up tomorrow morning because I bought into it once more haha.

As for the overvalued part, I don't know. Their partnership with Panasonic on the Gigafactory batteries has proven profitable and their international production capacity isn't even built yet. Have they even broken ground in Germany? This company is headed to the moon, dude. They're dominating the EV market from all sides - cars, tech, batteries, infrastructure. It's mad. The Semi isn't on sale yet either.

Absolutely mind-boggling to think that Tesla's market cap is roughly 80% of Toyotas. Lunacy. At some point people are going to realize they can buy a Kia Soul EV for 15k less with the same range, and you can put normal Kia wheels and tires on it instead of 2k magic Tesla wheels.

EDIT: Apparently you can't get the new Soul EV in the US yet but whatever Chevy Bolt is something like 400km range too.

not to mention nearly all of the legacy automakers throwing massive R&D at Tesla's market space...I don't see Tesla taking over the world.
This is the most bizzare part. It's not even like legacy makes need to develop their own battery/motor tech, the Chevy Bolt drivetrain was from LG and it's not like Tesla has some secret sauce on batteries and electric motors. The things Tesla struggles with are the "car" part of the car business with the boring old supply chains, weather seals, manufacturing tolerances, build quality, panel gaps, etc. and those things take a really long time to make marginal improvements.

I dunno, to me it just feels obvious that at some point one of the legacy makes is going to put something out that's a lot cheaper than a Tesla and doesn't look like a Prius/Leaf. Hell half of the Tesla valuation is reddit memes, just get Keanu Reeves to endorse an electric Rav4 and they're done.

Last edited:
It took a considerable dump today.
It dropped at the end of the day but has flat-lined at ~$900 since.
Have they even broken ground in Germany?
They are currently working out what to do with the trees that inhabit the land. I hear from every tree they cut down they plan on planting 3 to replace it. And the wood will go to good use.
The Semi isn't on sale yet either.
Supposed to go into "light production" this year sometime.
Or maybe they heard Elon's latest attempt at music and got scared off. Either or.
That was days ago, doubt it had any influence today.

Back