Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,587 comments
I wish the design was a little more refined and a little less like a movie prop, but the basic shape is pretty interesting. It's funny we associate such designs as being very 1980s but Bertone and Giugiaro really penned these lines in the 1960s. I'd even argue that they were influenced by mid-century modern architecture and design...a kind of resurgence of early Le Corbusier architecture from the 1900s...who himself was influenced by (and kind of a part of) the cubist painters of the turn of the century!

Bertone and Giugiaro are on a completely different level. As an art piece the cybertruck has some qualities, but as a design piece it’s dead.

190812142234-giorgetto-giugiaro-golf74004.jpg

0a6d77b3a6d46099704864a714e45059

Bertone-Stratos-Zero.jpg

5dd7f73efd9db269c1036f38

Bertone and Giugiaro are on a completely different level. As an art piece the cybertruck has some qualities, but as a design piece it’s dead.

190812142234-giorgetto-giugiaro-golf74004.jpg

0a6d77b3a6d46099704864a714e45059

Bertone-Stratos-Zero.jpg

5dd7f73efd9db269c1036f38

Ugh. I'm not trying to say its as good as them...I'm saying it takes influence from the 80s which was basically the consumerized/homogenized version of 1960s Avant Garde automotive design - it's a movie prop.

Then it can't really be "ahead of it's time" if it looks like something from 30 years ago.
My point is that even though it was designed like something you would see in a sci-fi film from 30 years ago, those movies are based on "what would the future look like in 2050?" Hence, ahead of it's time. Who knows what cars will look like in 30 years? Might very well be not far off from what we're seeing here.

Considering today's saloons look like slightly curvier versions of those from 1990, I very much doubt the zeitgeist will go from iterative design to flight of fancy in 30 years.

The primary mode of transportation in 2050 will be a complex system of pneumatic tubes that blocks the sky and is powered by the burning of gastropod secretions.

My point is that even though it was designed like something you would see in a sci-fi film from 30 years ago, those movies are based on "what would the future look like in 2050?" Hence, ahead of it's time. Who knows what cars will look like in 30 years? Might very well be not far off from what we're seeing here.

That's the fanboyest thing I've ever seen. I love it.

It's like giving credit to the guy that invented the flat screen TV with a camera so Google can monitor you instead of giving credit to George Orwell for anticipating that very thing 70 years ago.

With your endless Elon worship, that word really fits.
Fanboy is a word used by people not clever enough to come up with a better insult. Which is exactly what it is, an insult. Like calling someone a libtard.

And who said I was worshiping anything/anyone? I just tend to see things a bit more lighthearted than most people that are triggered by every little thing that has no effect on their lives. Which really fits pretty much everyone else in this thread. *shrug*

I used to build vehicles like this on the Car Builder game on the old Apple IIe we had. If you wanted the 460 engine up front you had to do basically build this shape to get any kind of aerodynamics with the limited options you had.

Elon Musk loves to do crazy things like this. He likes to create headlines and discussion. This truck has definitely done that:lol: I've seen memes all over the place about the Cybertruck and it's absolutely hilarious. You know you've made it in the automotive world when your vehicle becomes a meme. The fact that I'm seeing it on Imgur, a site not strictly about cars, is great. Yes, the design is polarising but that's the point. Doing things like this is a sure fire way to cause all kinds of controversy and debate. I love it.

Elon Musk loves to do crazy things like this. He likes to create headlines and discussion. This truck has definitely done that:lol: I've seen memes all over the place about the Cybertruck and it's absolutely hilarious. You know you've made it in the automotive world when your vehicle becomes a meme. The fact that I'm seeing it on Imgur, a site not strictly about cars, is great. Yes, the design is polarising but that's the point. Doing things like this is a sure fire way to cause all kinds of controversy and debate. I love it.

Memes don’t make Elon any money, which is why I will never understand this sentiment.

They are free advertising, though.

I have a hard time seeing people rushing out to buy a Tesla because a bunch of people make jokes about them. If anything it probably causes the opposite.

The whole “any publicity is good publicity” thing simply isn’t true.

I have a hard time seeing people rushing out to buy a Tesla because a bunch of people make jokes about them.
They already have hundreds of thousands of orders though. Granted it only takes a $100 deposit to do so, but the interest is still there.

Fanboy is a word used by people not clever enough to come up with a better insult. Which is exactly what it is, an insult. Like calling someone a libtard.

And who said I was worshiping anything/anyone? I just tend to see things a bit more lighthearted than most people that are triggered by every little thing that has no effect on their lives. Which really fits pretty much everyone else in this thread. *shrug*
It's a bit daft trying to take a high road here when you're guilty of your statement in this very thread as well....

A fanboy is someone who is so loyal to a certain brand that they seem to feel the need to defend every single decision that brand makes and is completely oblivious to any sort of criticism.

Just letting you know.

Ok, over 100k so not as much as I had previously heard. But that was random people attempting to come up with a figure.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/23/elo...eceived-146000-orders-for-its-cybertruck.html

I like how you post a link that shows stock prices are down despite the preorder numbers. Maybe all the people canceling their 3 orders prior to release made investors not put much faith in those numbers.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/19/technology/business/tesla-downgrade/index.html

I like how you post a link that shows stock prices are down despite the preorder numbers.
I mean, I just did a simple google search (which you could have easily done instead of asking for a link) and posted the first thing that came up that included the topic we were talking about. Not sure why it matters other than you feel the need to change the topic.

Enlighten me.
You claim you're just being lighthearted and everyone else are the ones being triggered, yet you have constantly shared a passive aggressive attitude towards others, even when unprovoked; attempting to point out "hypocrisy" or "negativity" when people think this vehicle is ugly. In just the last page or so:
Something like this pops up in a movie: "That thing is awesome!"

Something like this pops up in real life: "Are they mad? What are they thinking?"

Go figure.

I find the negativity hilarious actually. :) That's all people are these days is negative so you kind of get used to it over time. Everyone has their own opinion, just like everyone has, well, you know.

Nah, not in the mood.

And now for an informative post.

You're here now saying fanboy is an unclever insult to you, yet you've made cheap, low-brow remarks towards others.

You claim you're just being lighthearted and everyone else are the ones being triggered, yet you have constantly shared a passive aggressive attitude towards others, even when unprovoked; attempting to point out "hypocrisy" or "negativity" when people think this vehicle is ugly. In just the last page or so:

You're here now saying fanboy is an unclever insult to you, yet you've made cheap, low-brow remarks towards others.
I don't ever recall saying that's directed to anyone on here. That's pretty much the human race in general these days. And not sure how the informative post is included there, was not directed towards anyone and was simply an informative post. :)

Keep trying though.

Back