Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,587 comments
Everytime I look at it, it makes me think my graphics card isn't advanced enough for the texture to load so there might be some truth in that...

1692220957173666.jpg

Last edited:

If you don't have Bluesky or if it doesn't properly embed:

1693443261739.png

1693443273954.png

1693443282054.png

I don't know what stage of development these trucks were in, but the pieces of duct tape on the front is not confidence inspiring

Last edited:
I don't care if those are just display models meant to sit inside the building, shipping stainless steel bodied objects around the country on open flatbeds without even so much as a tarp to protect them from the elements is just irresponsible. There's a reason why almost every car company puts a shrink wrap covering over at least part of the vehicle to protect them in transport.

Whatever gauge of sheet metal they used, it clearly wasn't thick enough. The oil-canning on the driver door in the first pic is nastyyy. It also appears that the "grain" of the material is not even consistent between adjacent panels...which is insane.

Last edited:
Are we taking bets yet on whether any of these get crash tested and if so what the results are?
With how they're built, the crash test will show that they're capable of withstanding a direct hit from a freight train. As for the occupant's spines? They'll likely be bonemeal.

I'm really curious about the pedestrian safety on this too. Mostly flat surfaces coupled with a few hard edges seems like a great way to filet the little old lady crossing the road.

With how they're built, the crash test will show that they're capable of withstanding a direct hit from a freight train. As for the occupant's spines? They'll likely be bonemeal.

I'm really curious about the pedestrian safety on this too. Mostly flat surfaces coupled with a few hard edges seems like a great way to filet the little old lady crossing the road.
Has the US implemented any standards for what your car does to the OTHER cars yet? I know that was talked about for a while, but I'm not sure we have that. It would be nice for something like this, which is likely to be bad for the occupants as well as pedestrians, but also likely to be a problematic for the occupants of whatever small car hits it.

After 6 years, the Model 3 has gotten its first facelift

1693537413555.png

1693537398062.png

1693537403727.png

1693537423991.png

1693537429845.png

The updated Model 3, which was apparently internally codenamed Project Highland, is more chiseled, flaunts a redesigned front and rear, and gets a revamped interior. It has improved aerodynamics to extract more range and to reduce drag and wind noise, Tesla said in its Italian press release. For now, the updates have come only to the rear-wheel-drive and long-range (LR) versions.

The dimensions remain largely the same, but the Model 3 is now longer by an inch, measuring 185.8 inches (4,720 millimeters), while it is one-tenth of an inch shorter in height at 56.7 inches (1,441 mm). Ground clearance on the other hand is negligibly reduced from 5.5 inches (140 mm) to 5.4 inches (138 mm), as per the spec sheet.

The estimated WLTP range for the updated RWD Model 3 with 18-inch wheels is 344 miles (554 kilometers), while the LR variant is good for 421 miles (678 km). That’s roughly an 11 to 12 percent increase from the current models’ WLTP range of 305 and 374 miles, respectively. Note that the EPA figures will vary significantly for the US-spec electric sedan.

With the optional 19-inch “Nova” wheels, the RWD Model 3 will go 319 miles (513 km) on a single charge on the WLTP cycle, while the LR version is rated for 391 miles (629 km). Performance figures appear to have remained the same, with a 0-62 mile-per-hour time of 6.1 seconds for the RWD model, and 4.4 seconds for the LR all-wheel-drive variant.

The new RWD version (19-inch rims) consumes 13.2 kilowatt hours for every 62 miles (100 km) on the European test cycle, while the LR uses 14.0 kWh for the same distance.

The Model 3 interior now appears more lounge-like. It features a wraparound design, with an “enveloping architecture” featuring aluminum and fabric materials. The new ambient lighting covers the entire cabin. The brand claimed that the cabin is quieter thanks to acoustic glass and improved soundproofing materials.

There’s more digital real estate inside. The 15.4-inch central screen is the same size but features slimmer bezels for a more usable screen area. There’s also a new 8.0-inch rear display with integrated climate, ventilation, and infotainment controls. Tesla has replaced the column-mounted levers with steering-mounted controls, like the Model S and Model X.

Deliveries of the updated Model 3 will begin in late October in Europe and the Middle East. We’re expecting Tesla to announce details about the North American model and its availability soon.

I wonder if they gave Musk the idea to do the Cybertruck so he wouldn't interfere with the actual Tesla products people buy? Because it's hard to believe that the decent looking 3 face-lift is from the same company that is going to make a toddlers interpretation of a truck.

After 6 years, the Model 3 has gotten its first facelift

View attachment 1284221

View attachment 1284219

View attachment 1284220

View attachment 1284222

View attachment 1284223
It's not terrible, but the scalloped front end was the best thing the original 3 had going for it. Feels a bit more generic now and the proportions are still wonky. The first one was maybe a 6.5/10 and this feels like...idk 5.75/10 or something? Pretty deep into mehcar territory.

Here's what the interior looks like

1693589321565.png

I agree that this is a major downgrade in terms of design. it basically looks like a BYD Seal now. I quite liked how the older headlights looked

1693589395689.png

Whatever gauge of sheet metal they used, it clearly wasn't thick enough. The oil-canning on the driver door in the first pic is nastyyy. It also appears that the "grain" of the material is not even consistent between adjacent panels...which is insane.
But 10 microns.

The tail lights are the only interesting thing about it and even they’re not an improvement. The rest is extremely boring and NPC-like.

The title of the video says it all.

I actually laughed out loud a second time when you get to see the cover up close and notice its shape. Hilarious.

Considering the launch angle and velocity, I’m guessing they cross-sourced that hub cap from Space X. To the moon!

Maybe Elon's just a fan of '70s car chase films and knows that the experience isn't complete unless hubcaps go flying off at some point. Granted they're supposed to do that during a cool powerslide and not when you're driving in a straight line...

I'm searching Tesla cars and can't find one I just saw, in my neighbourhood.
It's a small SUV with a square back. Almost like the Model X(?) crossed with a Skoda Yeti. Very weird.

It was definitely a Tesla with the front fascia. Default white. CUV. That square cargo area was out of place. The closest to that cargo area, is the Tesla S wagon, from Google images.

Last edited:
I'm searching Tesla cars and can't find one I just saw, in my neighbourhood.
It's a small SUV with a square back. Almost like the Model X(?) crossed with a Skoda Yeti. Very weird.

It was definitely a Tesla with the front fascia. Default white. CUV. That square cargo area was out of place. The closest to that cargo area, is the Tesla S wagon, from Google images.
Sounds a lot like the facelifted Kia Soul.

Was it the new EV9? Because what you're describing makes me think of that, and it too looks almost exactly like the Kia Soul (albeit enlarged).

Last edited:
Something like this.

This is similar to the angle I saw as it was going the opposite direction, but it looked more swoopy. Plus the C-pillar was white.
1697139409937.jpeg

Was making sure not to hit any objects in front of me while I turned my head to look at the back.
1697139256601.jpeg

An article says the Zeekr isn’t coming to Australia, but the Volvo version is XC30.
1697139650828.jpeg

With that front, I should have noticed the badge. I see so many imported new vehicles, if it’s local, I’ll see it again.

Last edited:
Review of the facelifted Model 3

This is a good review, I haven't seen anyone else mention the windscreen reflection issue and it's good to see the automatic gear selection in use, even if I wouldn't trust it because it uses the cameras which are notoriously unreliable. The removal of the stalks are a deal breaker for me though, at no point have I ever felt like the stalks made the cabin feel cluttered and they already work really well. Those buttons feel like they'd be a nightmare on roundabouts.

Also, someone needs to tell Rory that you can just touch the bottom of the charge port to open it!

Last edited:
Back