Tesla Master Plan: Part Deux

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,606 comments

Speaking on Tesla's Q3 earnings call on Wednesday, the Tesla CEO said that the Cybertruck's unique design meant the company faces immense challenges in scaling production, with Tesla aiming to produce a quarter of a million trucks a year by 2025.

"We dug our own grave with the Cybertruck," Musk said.

It's "one of those special products that comes along only once in a long while. And special products that come along once in a long while are just incredibly difficult to bring to market to reach volume, to be prosperous," he added.

Musk said that he wanted to "temper expectations" for the electric truck's launch, which Tesla announced would be on November 30.

He warned that the challenges of scaling up production meant that it would likely be around 18 months before the Cybertruck is cash flow positive.

"I do want to emphasize that there will be enormous challenges in reaching volume production with the Cybertruck and then making the Cybertruck cashflow positive — this is simply normal," he said.

"When you've got a product with a lot of new technology or any brand new vehicle program, especially one that is as different and advanced as the Cybertruck, you will have problems proportionate to how many new things you're trying to solve at scale," he added.

Surprised Meme GIF

Everyone played a terrible, terrible trick on him by not telling him it was just the worst idea. Repeatedly.

So he basically realized that they took too long, GM and Ford beat them to the punch with the Hummer EV and F-150 Lightning respectively, and with the novelty factor of full-size EV trucks already eroding nobody but YouTube influencers and the most eccentric of collectors is going to want a Cybertruck now.

But of course, instead of admitting that it's the old marketing chestnut of "It's too ahead of its time, people just don't appreciate what we're doing with it!"

It's funny how the more Elon is directly involved in something the odds of it being a dumpster fire rise substantially. Dude is the DJ Khaled of the business world, but at least Khaled seems like an actual human.

He needs to keep his fingers crossed that they'll do a reboot of Back to the Future in the next few years. The Cybertruck's fast becoming the new DMC-12 in not living up to everything that it promised. There are plenty of paralells to be taken.

Last edited:
dumb.jpg

1) This just invites trouble. 2) Apparently, Elon did this with a tommy gun & to my understanding, those rounds might as well have been BBs compared to what more common ammunition will do this car.

This just seems extremely irresponsible to think about using as a selling point.

2) Apparently, Elon did this with a tommy gun & to my understanding, those rounds might as well have been BBs compared to what more common ammunition will do this car.

This just seems extremely irresponsible to think about using as a selling point.
A few things.

Firstly, I have no idea where this has come from; the exact same shill account's posted only a couple of hours earlier that this is something Tesla should do, and then it posted this. There's no other images.

Secondly, schiesse auf das fenster...

Alan Rickman GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

1697937269593.png

And finally, this excellent retort (which may not make the transatlantic trip with the humour intact):

1697937519632.png

Also Musk can currently be found kicking off on Twitter that "we" (he) "need comprehensive deregulation" - so we can conclude that something his companies make has been dumped on by a relevant authority...

Last edited:
dumb.jpg

1) This just invites trouble. 2) Apparently, Elon did this with a tommy gun & to my understanding, those rounds might as well have been BBs compared to what more common ammunition will do this car.

Yeah you probably need 1/4" thick steel to stop a bullet, which is at least double the thickness that Tesla has claimed its majestic 30X SS to be.. This is just dumb and obviously fake.

Yeah you probably need 1/4" thick steel to stop a bullet, which is at least double the thickness that Tesla has claimed its majestic 30X SS to be.. This is just dumb and obviously fake.
Sad thing is they actually did something to it to prop this claim up.

Apparently Musk has backed the claim as well.
We emptied the entire drum magazine of a Tommy gun into the driver door Al Capone style. No bullets penetrated into the passenger compartment.

I originally linked the tweet, but it contains a replying tweet that I'm not sure is permitted under our AUP for swearing.

Last edited:
a pillar.JPG

This A-pillar/Fender interface is honestly the worst exterior detail on a mainstream OEM vehicle I have ever seen.

Last edited:
According to a source, Tesla will be building a new 25,000 euro car at the Berlin factory

Tesla plans to build a 25,000-euro ($26,838) car at its factory near Berlin, a source with knowledge of the matter said on Monday, in a long-awaited development for the electric vehicle maker which is aiming for mass uptake of its cars.

The source, who declined to be named, did not say when production would begin.

Musk had long planned to make a more affordable electric car, but said in 2022 he had not yet mastered the technology and shelved the plan.

Still, sources told Reuters in September the carmaker was closing in on an innovation that would allow it to die cast nearly all of the underbody of the EV in one piece, a breakthrough that would speed up production and lower costs.

According to a source, Tesla will be building a new 25,000 euro car at the Berlin factory

The problem with a report like this is that Tesla has absolutely tanked their credibility on future price claims.

Last edited:
Production quality gives me Alfa Romeo 90 vibes. that (and its outdatedness) basically tanked its success, something that can happen with this too. At least Alfa 90 is pretty

Sad thing is they actually did something to it to prop this claim up.

Apparently Musk has backed the claim as well.

I originally linked the tweet, but it contains a replying tweet that I'm not sure is permitted under our AUP for swswearing.i

I can see the wrongful death lawsuits already.

So if you thought you were going to buy a Cybertruck, make a clickbait-y Youtube video about it and then dump it on someone else a few days later... well, i have some bad news.

Tesla updated its terms and conditions [PDF] ahead of the Cybertruck's currently planned release date at the end of this month to add several restrictions for new owners, including the possibility the company might demand "liquidated damages" of $50,000 or the resale price, "whichever is greater," for an unauthorized Cybertruck resale.

By agreeing to purchase the Cybertruck, "you agree that you will not sell or otherwise attempt to sell the Vehicle within the first year following your Vehicle's delivery date," Tesla specified.

Cybertruck panels looking nice and flush these days - Matte black wrapped one was an early release candidate.

Anyone fancy a coffee bet on how many of these they can sell next year?

f-mwjwlwmaadmd-jpeg.jpg
f-mwjwnwcaazs8k-1-jpeg.jpg
F-k-efUWAAAoVs3.jpeg
400746846_10161249308144756_627046305377570270_n.jpg
F-k-efTWUAEVLIy.jpeg

Cybertruck panels looking nice and flush these days - Matte black wrapped one was an early release candidate.

Anyone fancy a coffee bet on how many of these they can sell next year?
Hopefully none. It looks like a refrigerator. A pedestrian murdering refrigerator.

Last edited:
It's also pretty useless off-road too. There are numerous videos of it at Hollister and it's struggling on pretty easy grades. Probably the biggest point of failure are the tires, but the suspension looks dreadful too. It's so stiff that there's zero articulation when going over bumps and looks like a wagon.

So it's ugly, will kill pedestrians, has poor quality control, has blind spots the size of a small country, isn't good off-road, and has a bed that's more or less worthless to do truck things. I'm really not sure who's going to buy this other than Tesla fangirls and "influencers". Anyone who actually needs a truck to do truck stuff will be better off with the F-150 or Silverado EVs and those who just want a truck because it's a truck will be better served with a Rivian.

I read something along the lines of the number of pre-orders they have to honour versus the production output rate, means it doesn't really matter how many they sell in the first three years anyway.

Back