Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown Discussion Thread

• Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 1,514 comments
Still 1 car out of 100 + most likely, they would drop it later again. Some systems are worse, some better, but whole drama is exaggerated. Just play however you want.

To sell battlepass and tier skips.

If you paid for premium battlepass and tier skips, then you get everything without grind. If you didn't, then I don't get what you complain about
Paying to "skip the grind" is exactly why predatory monetisation with battle passes is so out of control.

As noted in my post at the top of this page, it's the release build with Day 1 patch.

Also just had a notification that my progress will be wiped today. The original review guide said progress would carry over, but it appears that there was a bug that allowed for very rapid progress so I guess they're wiping it to prevent some media/influencers starting with massive head starts.

That also took the game offline for 4hr yesterday, right in the middle of the day, as they fixed it...
Thank you for the review. The developers clearly need at least another 6 months to polish things like the bizarre physics, the graphics and lighting models (at least on console) before it's going to be worth a look.

I am really confused at the always-online racing model they chose. It feels like they are backing themselves into a corner here. Personally I just can't see any reason to choose not to make online racing optional, especially since match making takes time and there are loads of use cases where mediocre wifi would prevent you from playing (especially something like a Steam Deck).

Last edited:
What does not convince me at all is that it requires a permanent connection, and there are 2 possibilities that would make it 50% whether it works or not.

1- That the same thing happens with Gran Turismo Sport in the end they decide to release a patch to be able to play it Offline

2- That the same thing happens as with The Crew, they decide not to release any patch and that it is just a paperweight

Only a few more hours till release. I'm a stickler for any new racing game with licensed cars so will try to like it 😁 I find that I like many games that get unfavorable reviews, anyway.
TDU2 got criticised heavily but I loved it.

Last edited:
Still 1 car out of 100 + most likely, they would drop it later again. Some systems are worse, some better, but whole drama is exaggerated. Just play however you want.

To sell battlepass and tier skips.

If you paid for premium battlepass and tier skips, then you get everything without grind. If you didn't, then I don't get what you complain about

View attachment 1386567
Ok
Lmao one random screen shot. You can make FH5 or the crew motor fest look worse doing the same thing. Unbelievable.
Ok

Lmao one random screen shot
How many you need? Its PS4 year one release that was abandoned before Pro released, it just can't look better than 3rd game of competitors on more powerful platform. It has solid car models and spot on lightning in few scenarios, but its tech is prehistoric now.
You can make FH5 or the crew motor fest look worse doing the same thing.
You can, but 90% of the time static Horizon or CrewM would be better. Just because textures are crispier and surroundings are more detailed.

So, judging by Famine's review, seems the devs spent more time on presentation than anything else. That's a big shame, but not surprising I guess. They did after all, go in on marketing this as wanting to recreate TDU's millionaire racer life style without actually focusing or improving on the things that made that great. No homes, a car list that actually looks rather bare compared to TDU1's, & a dealership presentation (one of the series' unique points) that doesn't at all take advantage of 20 years of advancement to improve upon the prequels.

Last edited:
I am totally bummed by this. I was itching for another racing game. Between this and CarX Street... not sure what to do. I guess I am back to Motorfest.
Got TXR coming up next year too. Those never fared the best critically, but are still highly regarded by many, so here's hoping the new one will also be sick

The Facebook comments on this one are wild.

"You're just biased against anything that isn't GT". Yeah, that's why I gave Forza Horizon 5 a 4.6/5 (92%) and still play it weekly, and Forza Motorsport a 4/5 (80%) - though I concede that there were two half-stars I was mulling over extensively and which could have gone either way but got the benefit of the doubt - and Need for Speed Unbound a 3/5 (60%), and F1 2021 a 4/5 (80%), and Hot Wheels Unleashed a 3.8/5 (76%), and so on. Because I gave a game you haven't played yet a 2.6...

"I read some other reviews and they gave it 8 or 9". Cool. Metascore is 65 right now, quite a bit closer to our 52 than their 90 don't you think?

"How can you review a game that isn't out yet?". With a review code from the publisher's PR, like every other review.

Facebook is just where rational thought goes to die these days.

I heard apparently you need on Xbox a gold or any other membership to play this game is this true?
Very likely yes. There is no offline mode, it's perpetually multiplayer and not F2P, so you need whatever-platform-you're-on's online membership to play it.

"You're just biased against anything that isn't GT". Yeah, that's why I gave Forza Horizon 5 a 4.6/5 (92%) and still play it weekly, and Forza Motorsport a 4/5 (80%) - though I concede that there were two half-stars I was mulling over extensively and which could have gone either way but got the benefit of the doubt - and Need for Speed Unbound a 3/5 (60%), and F1 2021 a 4/5 (80%), and Hot Wheels Unleashed a 3.8/5 (76%), and so on. Because I gave a game you haven't played yet a 2.6...

"I read some other reviews and they gave it 8 or 9". Cool. Metascore is 65 right now, quite a bit closer to our 52 than their 90 don't you think?

"How can you review a game that isn't out yet?". With a review code from the publisher's PR, like every other review.

Imagine complaining about social media comments in 2024.

You're a braver person than I, reading Facebook comments.

I'm disappointed this game has seemingly turned out the way it has, but I'm not really surprised based on some of the early looks we got. It seems like its 10 years too late or something, it's weird. Like it was meant to be the actual sequel to TDU but it was shelved and then brought back from the dead when the developers saw the success of Horizon. That would also help to explain the inclusion of some incredibly dated cars (really, a 2009 Audi Q7??).

Got TXR coming up next year too. Those never fared the best critically, but are still highly regarded by many, so here's hoping the new one will also be sick
Thankfully though, Genki's still behind that & judging by their early screenshots, they remain committed to keeping it as a late night Tokyo highway racer. The only expectations should really just be seeing how much of a leap they make since according to Wiki, the last game in the series was 2006 (there 2 other games since, but they're mobiles) & how they handle licensing, modifications, & sound really. The basic formula itself doesn't need to change, thankfully.

Imagine complaining about social media comments in 2024.
Marvels Agents Of Shield Wow GIF by ABC Network

It seems like its 10 years too late or something, it's weird. Like it was meant to be the actual sequel to TDU but it was shelved and then brought back from the dead when the developers saw the success of Horizon. That would also help to explain the inclusion of some incredibly dated cars (really, a 2009 Audi Q7??).
Judging by the way some of those models are wrong it looks like they were lifted straight from TDU2.

Is that on a "typical before the day one bugfix patch" level, or on the "Concord has a new roommate in hell" level?
Hi I got the premium package for my son but no code for the 6 cars or pass do you know if they send it when the game is officially released I expected it to be in the box

Reading the inevitable Twitter comments will be like stepping into nuclear trenches.

Looks like a fair review to me seeing other reviews. Saved me $50 with that

Another problem could be the grind seeing car prices for supercars around 1-2 millions and hypercars 10-13 millions while earning 15k for a race win at least in the beginning. A TT-RS is already 300k and a M4 close to 900k and even the Mini GP is 700k. 6 hours to go.

For me something around 65-70 / 100 on MC is fine and what I expected and also the same as TDU2.

1725501024914.png

Last edited:
Back