The 2020 George Floyd/BLM/Police Brutality Protests Discussion Thread

Isnt the police only opperating by 2 means?
1. excessive force
2. shoot to kill

I know media is blowing this up because clicks, but this happens much too often.
I agree entirely. Like most of us, I've already seen way too many deaths caused by excessive force from the police throughout my life and sadly, I know I will see more...
So disheartening and anger inducing at the same time.
I vividly remember the TV coverage of the killing of both the killing of Malik Oussekine here in France and a few years later Rodney Kind's in California.
I was a teenager then and I also remember asking my parents, 'What is going on? Why is the police beating people up? How can this be?'
It shaped the values I hold as a human being.
When I was a student in Marseilles, me and my friends would regularly be stopped by plainclothes officers, they'd ask for IDs (which is legal), take our weed and let us go...
People being roughed up and in some case properly beaten up was also fairly common too, and still is.
I'm so angry that nearly 30 years on, the film 'La Haine' is still so relevant, that 20 years on, 'The Wire' is still so relevant etc.

Though "we" are not required to always carry our ID with us, police always has the authority to check our ID if they have any suspicion. Having your ID simplifies this, show and go, otherwise they would be allowed to try all other means possible, but the 2nd easiest would be jump into car, direct to home, then ID.
I mean...okay? Sucks for you.

The principal legitimate function of law enforcement is the enforcement of laws by which rights are preserved. If agents so tasked are incapable of articulating facts specific to an individual and a reasonable suspicion that they have perpetrated, are perpetrating, or are going to perpetrate a criminal offense which violates the rights of another, they have no business knowing about such an individual and should instead go about their actual real business. How easy it may be to present identification is of no consequence.

Sucks for you.
I dont think so, I think it is absolutely fine this way.

Unless you were caught by a speedtrap with the officers directing you out of traffic on the spot, it is quite uncommon for the police to stop anyone here anyway. There are not so many cops that they are on constant patrol service but only respond when actually called for.
No prevention by presence outside of riotgear police when security is required or expected to be necessary.

On the other side of the coin of identifications is all the tech in your pocket you propably carry around.

I dont think so, I think it is absolutely fine this way.
In the absence of an articulable reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing, why should agents tasked with enforcing laws further to preservation of rights need to know about an individual?
Unless you were caught by a speedtrap with the officers directing you out of traffic on the spot, it is quite uncommon for the police to stop anyone here anyway. There are not so many cops that they are on constant patrol service but only respond when actually called for.
No prevention by presence outside of riotgear police when security is required or expected to be necessary.
This reads as purely anecdotal, but the purported infrequency of stop-and-identify in the absence of an articulable reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing does not justify stop-and-identify in the absence of an articulable reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing.

The only justification for stop-and-identify is reasonable suspicion of wrongdoing--be it past, ongoing, or future--which an agent tasked with the enforcement of laws further to the preservation of rights can articulate to the individual who is subject to the action.

On the other side of the coin of identifications is all the tech in your pocket you propably carry around.
I don't understand the point of this and/or how it's relevant to the topic of rights abuses by law enforcement unless said tech is seized and/or searched in the absence of probable cause.

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation agents raided the Millersville Police Department on Tuesday, executing a search warrant as the criminal investigation into the troubled agency enters a dramatic new phase.

A team of agents was also seen executing a separate search warrant at the White House residence of the department's conspiracy-minded assistant police chief, Shawn Taylor.

"I can confirm that a search warrant execution is underway at the Millersville Police Department as part of an ongoing investigation," TBI spokesperson Susan Niland said in an email.

She later confirmed the search at the address where Taylor resides.

An estimated dozen TBI agents descended upon Millersville City Hall sometime Tuesday morning to carry out the search.

Photos provided to NewsChannel 5 Investigates show agents combing through an unmarked police vehicle as Chief Bryan Morris and Detective Todd Dorris stood off to the side. NewsChannel 5 later witnessed agents searching multiple other vehicles.

Agents were also inside the department searching offices there.

About nine miles away in rural Robertson County, NewsChannel 5 Investigates observed eight TBI agents outside Shawn Taylor's home, which prominently features an American flag and a Trump flag on a flagpole just outside.

One TBI official made frequent trips to vehicles parked outside, then returning inside as the search continued.

NewsChannel 5 later observed a K-9 dog being led around the property.

While it is not known what TBI agents are seeking, Taylor has appeared in videos in which he displays an impressive collection of electronic equipment that he has utilized to pursue his sometimes bizarre conspiracy theories.

The search comes amid an ongoing NewsChannel 5 investigation that sparked a TBI investigation of the department under the leadership of Morris and Taylor.

Two local district attorneys have previously confirmed to NewsChannel 5 Investigates that the TBI has been asked to investigate the possible use of sensitive law enforcement data to dig up dirt on potential political enemies.

The TBI is also investigating possible perjury of a Millersville detective stemming from his testimony in what appears to have been a botched child predator sting.

Back