The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
model-motorcycle.jpg

model-motorcycle-1.jpg

model-motorcycle-2.jpg

model-motorcycle-3.jpg

It's not really cool or amazing till you realise that's it's actually a scale model

model-motorcycle-4.jpg

www.bikeexif.com
If your Dad is an industrial designer and machinist, you can expect to receive some unusual toys. This Honda RC166 model motorcycle belongs to Anna Kraeuter, aged three, the daughter of Portland vintage motorcycle racer Chuck. It’s a perfect ½ scale model that measures just over 3 feet long by 1½ feet high. (Here’s a full-size Honda RC166 for reference.) Working two or three hours a day, Chuck built this model from scratch in 166 consecutive days. “Anna loves the attention she gets when she sits on it,” Chuck tells us. “It doesn’t run, but it has a first gear—so the clutch spins like it would if bump starting.”

There are over 625 separate parts in this model, not counting screws, bolts and nuts. (“Every part is easy to make; you just have to make some everyday.”) Chuck did all the machining himself using aluminum, stainless steel, brass and acetal, an engineering plastic widely used for machined parts. “There was a surprising amount of manual lathe time,” says Chuck. “The spokes are bicycle spokes cut shorter and rethreaded, and the wheel axles are made from metric bolts. Chassis bolts are safety wired with ½ scale copper wire, and my wife Dawn sewed the seat cover.” Chuck painted the model with spray cans, and toned it with colored chalk. He’s currently building ten more, which will be for sale. If you’re interested in ordering one of these remarkable model motorcycles for yourself, contact Chuck Kraeuter through his website.

The attention to detail on the motorcycle is amazing, especially when he built it for a 3 year old who, unsupervised, will probably break it one day.

To me Scotland is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Especially the north and islands. The misses and I want to get married in Scotland.

Isn't Scotland marvellous? When it's not raining...

It certainly is, heading home tomorrow but my week up here (near Fort William) has been awesome. Climbed a few Munros including Ben Nevis and the views are memories that will stick with me for a lifetime.

The girls aren't bad either...

Awesome waterfall shot.

I checked out where all the local waterfalls are a while ago and have been trying to make it out to see each one, but none have come close to that. 👍

Last three posts are great! Love the rice murals! :D And that guy standing on that beam is crazy. I would be crapping 10 different colors standing there. Also love the light beam into the cave pic... 👍

The Milky Way as seen in the Mardi Khola valley in the Himalayas, with clouds of galactic dust illuminated in red by young stars. Anton Jankovoy braved freezing temperatures for this shot during a trek in Nepal
The-Milky-Way-Mardi-Khola-007.jpg

Thanks for that. I figured that multiple shots would have that streaking effect. I would certainly love to have that kind of equipment to take such great star photos.

He's in the Himalayas so I don't think light pollution is much of an issue. Seems to me all you need is a big lens, long exposure, and sturdy tripod.

On the other hand, freezing temperatures drain camera batteries in no time, so long exposures on those conditions is quite an equipment hazard. If the battery dies in the middle of a long exposure... pfft.

That said, amazing pic. 👍
As most others on the last page.

September's equinox arrives today at 0905 UT. As the Sun crosses the celestial equator heading south, spring begins in the southern hemisphere and autumn in the north. And though the seasonal connection is still puzzling, both spring and autumn bring an increase in geomagnetic storms. So as northern nights grow longer, the equinox also heralds the arrival of a good season for viewing aurora. Recorded earlier this month, these curtains of September's shimmering green light sprawl across a gorgeous night skyscape. In the foreground lies Hidden Lake Territorial Park near Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada. Calm water reflects the aurora, with bright star trails peering through the mesmerizing sky glow
C404-5244-6082AuroraTakasaka.jpg

One finger pull up FTW!
16ga9v4.png

I know these images below aren't as cool as the others, but it was a once in a life time experience for me so I thought I'd show it off (So yes, I took these pictures). My local church put up 2001 American flags on the carnival grounds in remembrance of 9/11 (The 10th anniversary). But even the pictures can't capture the complete scale of the display.

DSCF2295.jpg

DSCF2292.jpg

Back