The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
http://astrosurf.com/legault/iss_atlantis_transit_2010.html
issatlantis201025.jpg

iss_atlantis_2010_crop.jpg

Theres no way that could be real. The sides are too smooth and the hole is too round to be made naturally. And whats at the bottom of that pit? It looks like it opens up to nothing.

Theres no way that could be real. The sides are too smooth and the hole is too round to be made naturally. And whats at the bottom of that pit? It looks like it opens up to nothing.

It is real though.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/05/31/honduras.storm.emergency/?hpt=T1

And it probably is ground water at the bottom sadly the story doesn't say much about the crater, even though they know that's all almost anyone reading the story cares about.

I believe I herd the whole was 331ft deep or about 110 meters.

Last edited:
wow, guatemala's government has a Flickr page.

It says that the increidlbe hole was caused by water filtrations that caused the soil under the pavement and... er... city to go too bland to hold up, so it all went down to the natural water deposits beneath Guatemala. The picture and the entire situation is amazing.

We have had that kinda thing happen here in certain parts of Mexico city -never at that size, though- that stand on top of water holes and wells (sp), but it has never been as dramatic as to show the actual water deposit at the end of the sinkhole. Impressive.

It looks like something from the Fantastic 4 movie with the Silver Surfer causing the gaping hole. lol
*awaits death cloud*

Truly amazing picture though.

Did you notice that a lot of them were from repeat people? Makes me think it was somewhat biased and not well enough done.

Seeing as the title was "50 great examples of automotive photography," I wouldn't say it could be bias just a persons opinion. Take out examples and make the title "the 50 greatest automotive photographs" and you got your self a case

Did you notice that a lot of them were from repeat people? Makes me think it was somewhat biased and not well enough done.

Yea, and on top of that I have seen a lot of other car photography that is better than some of the stuff on there. But I was really glad that they showed Mike Burroughs some love, he's probably my favorite automotive photographer.

Early NASA vacuum chamber test goes wrong.

There is nothing really noteworthy visually, other than the fact that the video exists, but the man's description of what happens and that he had no negative side effects is absolutely amazing.

It's a common misconception (thank you Hollywood) that a vacuum causes explosive decompression in a human. It takes a lot more than one atmosphere of pressure difference to do it. Oh, it'll kill you, no doubt, but through asphyxiation and lack of oxygen, rather than having your blood boil or your body explode or something.

Back