The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,605 comments
I'm totally ready to risk my camera for those shots. I'll definitely post any reasonable results when I get to trying it.

In before seeing exige's lens broken off his camera. :D

@TB Thats an awesome picture. I spent about 10 seconds scrolling around my screen trying to figure out what was so good about it. Then I saw him.

Sticking with the intergalactic planetary theme here’s the Sun viewed from Nasa's Solar Dynamics Observatory

composite20100330st.jpg

AIA_00136.jpg

Last edited:
Here (http://sdo.gsfc.nasa.gov/). I put a link in my post but it doesn't seem to be working so I've edited it with this one, just click on SDO First Light Images and Movies. I think the full size image of the whole sun was 48mb!!!

20100330_304sub_102.jpg

Yeah, no kiddin'.. how many Earths could you fit inside that ring?

source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8635207.stm

The probe views the entire solar disc with a resolution 10 times better than the average high-definition television camera. This allows it to pick out features on the surface and in the atmosphere that are as small as 350km across.

I'm not sure if the pixel size is 350km or that's size they can clearly see features but either way it's difficult to comprehend the scale of the images, the burst is unbelievably large.

Having taken astronomy, I'm starting to realize how awfully massive that sun burst was :embarrassed:

Have you checked out the videos of it on the SDO website?

Yeah, no kiddin'.. how many Earths could you fit inside that ring?

Having taken astronomy, I'm starting to realize how awfully massive that sun burst was :embarrassed:

according to the article from new scientist

new scientist
This CME did not cause damage but shot a significant amount of material towards Earth. "What we've ejected here is an amount of mass about the same as contained in the whole Mississippi river, and we've ejected it at a speed of about a million miles per hour... in about 30 seconds," said Alan Title, the instrument's principal investigator at the Lockheed Martin Solar and Astrophysics Laboratory in Palo Alto, California.

photography_inspiration_dave_hill_triple_h.jpg

davehill01.jpg

01officefinal-600x400.jpg

photography_inspiration_dave_hill_fishing.jpg

dave-hill-photography-3-600x319.jpg

dave_hill_06.jpg

Dave-Hill-Photography.png

Behind the scenes of those last three images:

From the photographer Dave Hill, you may have seen his work around, often called HDR by people that do no research into him whatsoever. Want to know how to use studio lighting, look at him.

Boy, you're going to get some major lecturing and flaming

Please explain?

Are you referring to the fact that I failed to mention they are composite images? I do realise they have had a load of Photoshop work on top of the lighting but the fact is, this guy knows how to use studio/location lighting.

The last time I posted a picture that, although was really nicely done (lighting, subject, colours, aftereffects, etc), I got some majour flaming because the picture wasn't of something amazing... In short, I got told off because although the technique and everything regarding the actual shot was probably amazing, the subject is just meh

If you are a professional diver you should visit Cenote Angelita Mexico. These amazing pictures were taken by Anatoly Beloshchin in the cave Cenote Angelita, Mexico. Here’s his description: “We are 30 meters deep, fresh water, then 60 meters deep–salty water and under me I see a river, island and fallen leaves… Actually, the river, which you can see, is a layer of hydrogen sulphide.” It must be an unforgettable feeling once you’re there and see it with your own eyes.

ah yeah, and that is not the only cenote that has such features. On some you can see thew separation between salt and sweet water. I sure hope one day I can go take a peek.

That underwater river would be a pretty awesome thing to see. It'd be even better when you're floating along, looking at something you could see above water, like you're flying like a bird or something.

The last time I posted a picture that, although was really nicely done (lighting, subject, colours, aftereffects, etc), I got some majour flaming because the picture wasn't of something amazing... In short, I got told off because although the technique and everything regarding the actual shot was probably amazing, the subject is just meh

The cobb....you may release it now, sphincter boy. :)

An amazing photo for sure, and luckily no one was killed. Two people were injured in the crowd along with the driver. It was an amazingly well time photograph though.

078405-mini-crash.jpg

An amazing photo for sure, and luckily no one was killed. Two people were injured in the crowd along with the driver. It was an amazingly well time photograph though.

078405-mini-crash.jpg

Incase anyone was wondering how the above even happened, here is the video:

Back