The Autism Thread

Ah. His says that he's a normal person.

Damn normal people.

Your's says that you organise online race series.

Turbo_snail's says that he's won GTP 4 times, and that he's consistent with ds3, whatever that might be, and that he's a he.

I don't want to take the thread too far off-topic, but... In my opinion, defensive is also still aggressive.

Anyways, on to the topic again, please: Autism. Anything new?

Edit: @Qvale:

In order of fluency:

English/French
German
Spanish

I don't want to take the thread too far off-topic, but... In my opinion, defensive is also still aggressive.

Anyways, on to the topic again, please: Autism. Anything new?

Edit: @Qvale:

In order of fluency:

English/French
German
Spanish
Yo estudio español también. (I study Spanish too.)

And on topic--I have a family member with autism. He's awesome.

Yes saying don't mess with me or I will fight.
Which is possibly why you get bannned from things? I'm pretty sure that the point of this thread is to discuss the actual parts of being Autistic. Being banned from things could come from a temper, but not directly from being Autistic.

Do you understand where I'm going with this? I'm trying to say this politely, but, I don't appreciate how you passed it off as the Autism which was causing you to be banned from things. It's not a cause and effect situation. It's a "disability" causing an effect which further causes an effect. But, since we can't do anything but Autism itself, we go about our lives while attempting to improve our personalities.

So, in short, don't use the diagnosis as a cop-out. I think @Azuremen posted about that earlier.

Which is possibly why you get bannned from things? I'm pretty sure that the point of this thread is to discuss the actual parts of being Autistic. Being banned from things could come from a temper, but not directly from being Autistic.

Do you understand where I'm going with this? I'm trying to say this politely, but, I don't appreciate how you passed it off as the Autism which was causing you to be banned from things. It's not a cause and effect situation. It's a "disability" causing an effect which further causes an effect. But, since we can't do anything but Autism itself, we go about our lives while attempting to improve our personalities.

So, in short, don't use the diagnosis as a cop-out. I think @Azuremen posted about that earlier.
Alright

... It's a "disability" causing an effect which further causes an effect...

Not to sound like I'm siding with FG, because I agree with just about everything you said, I personally don't see Asperger's Syndrome as a disability. Yes, it has severely affected my social skills, but it does help me with seeing things in a different way than others do. I look at something and I might take it apart inside my mind or I will research it on the computer and find out how it works. I am always curious and enjoy learning about things, just as long as it interests me. So, in some ways, having AS might make things a little more difficult for me, but in other ways it is a massive benefit.

On a side note, I am just way too analytical all the time and I'm not creative. I want to create art, whether it's music, drawing, or writing, but nothing ever comes to mind. :(

I agreed until you said the bit about Autistic guys being better girlfriends. Check between your legs again, please.

Asperger's here... so I feel duty bound to point out that "guy", like "man", isn't necessarily gender-specific.

What a way to introduce myself to the thread :D

It seems like the friends I have in real life and PSN that have aspergers always have difficulties with me.

Whilst I was diagnosed with HFA around the age of 10, very few of my friends have ever suspected it (having adequate communication skills) so either I suffer the symptoms quite mildly nowadays or I'm just good at hiding it. I think it moreso manifests itself currently in perfectionism/OCD, a lack of empathy and low ability to attract, create and maintain constructive friendships. That said, they're not uncommon characteristics.

In any case, this thread has departed greatly from where I hoped discourse would lie.

Last edited:
You sound like me. I think there's a surprising majority of people who have a similar story.

Oh well. I feel like this thread should be an advice-thread. If you are preparing for job interview, looking to make friends, etc., I think we can discuss advice to prepare you guys for it. :)

I don't know how relevant this post will be in accordance to the flow of the thread, but this is the biggest impact autism has had on my life.

So back around mid 2012, I became an admin of a nr2003 league. This was a league with members who were mostly guys aged 15-21 and in those demographics. Through a year or two in that league I met and had good talks with people who were in the various places in the autism spectrum. One of those guys was Cody J. (that was his fake name that he used, I used only the first letter of the last name to give him atleast a piece of anonymity) Cody was a real nice kid, and he had aspergers but didn't tell us anything about it when he first came in. After a few months people began to question his general silence and in-social behaviors, and people started putting the pieces together after a while that he may have some form of autism. So eventually Cody came to me and the other admins and explained his whole situation and his past and the way he felt about it and the way people treated him. I really felt for the kid, he was really nice and interesting, but people would just never give him a chance to be socially comfortable around people.

After we merged with another league and had a name change, he began to disappear and would race less and less until he left for a while.

After about 4 or 5 months, some of us started investigating where he had gone since nobody had heard a word from him and his facebook page wasn't touched, but this was hard because we knew he used a fake name. However, eventually we did find out what happened to him. He had gone out of the house late one night and had walked out to the highway by his home, and was struck and killed by a truck. Whether or not this was a suicide, or an unfortunate accident we never knew.

This really struck me deep inside, and I felt somewhat guilty about it. I felt like I could have done more to get to know him and that I should have made him feel more welcome in the league. He had felt that his only friends were in the community and that he felt he belonged, and I feel like he didn't feel welcomed anymore.

He lost his life around this time last year, and I just wish I could have been able to help him through whatever he was going through.

RIP Cody J. #204

Last edited:
Bhowe, it's definitely not your fault.

If it had been a suicide - although I doubt it - someone who knew the real life "Cody" should have stepped in.

As for the whole admin-team thing, did no one have anything else to suspect? If I had been in that situation, - and known about it - I would have talked to Cody.

But, it's so difficult to tell if someone's depressed via the internet, I doubt you would've known, even if his death had been intentional.

So, don't beat yourself up.

Bhowe, it's definitely not your fault.

If it had been a suicide - although I doubt it - someone who knew the real life "Cody" should have stepped in.

As for the whole admin-team thing, did no one have anything else to suspect? If I had been in that situation, - and known about it - I would have talked to Cody.

But, it's so difficult to tell if someone's depressed via the internet, I doubt you would've known, even if his death had been intentional.

So, don't beat yourself up.
No not really. He quietly left the community and then about a month after that he died. We didn't find out about his death until about 3 months after it had happened.

And I no longer beat myself up over it, I realize there was really nothing any of us could do. But for the first few weeks afterwards I did beat myself up a bit over it.

Edit: I re-read the article about his death, and it was a suicide. He was severely bullied in school (he was in 9th grade at the time). I just feel satisfaction in knowing that when he was still here that he enjoyed his time in our league and felt welcomed and accepted. But no matter what the circumstances are it's still always shocking and terrifying when a child feels so bullied and hated that they choose to end their lives. Just so sad...

No not really. He quietly left the community and then about a month after that he died. We didn't find out about his death until about 3 months after it had happened.

And I no longer beat myself up over it, I realize there was really nothing any of us could do. But for the first few weeks afterwards I did beat myself up a bit over it.

Edit: I re-read the article about his death, and it was a suicide. He was severely bullied in school (he was in 9th grade at the time). I just feel satisfaction in knowing that when he was still here that he enjoyed his time in our league and felt welcomed and accepted. But no matter what the circumstances are it's still always shocking and terrifying when a child feels so bullied and hated that they choose to end their lives. Just so sad...

Things like that make me feel really bad, it really is awful when stuff like that happens. I'm sorry to hear about all that, Bhowe.

This is long, sorry.....

Wow. I haven't read this entire thread (honestly, haven't gotten past the first page), but I am impressed with how well you young kids are doing.

Notice the numbers on my call sign. I'm 40. I grew up with parents who (still) don't believe that my dad has HFA, and think that seeking medical assistance in dealing with your life is really necessary. For them, the statement "just suck it up and run with it" was an okay thing to say. Yeah, THAT works.... :(

I had two specific incidents that define my life: The first was in second grade. We were playing "Duck, Duck Goose". I got excited and decided to join in. As I went around the circle, the other kids either dodged me or acted like they were trying to protect themselves from me. I was so deeply insulted, I just stopped and cried. It was miserable.

The second was about 4 years later. We had moved away for a job my dad had fora year, but moved back when that ended. I came back to the same school because it was where we were. I was brought to the class, and the moment I walked in, the entire class took a deep breathe and groaned. And I mean every. single. one.

I won't go through it all, but I was miserable and suicidal for over a decade. I got into racing because someone showed me that it was an intense way to deal with life, and, once I got that into me, I also realized it was a way to flirt with death. Not a good thing, but, hey, it was the one thing I could enjoy at the time. When I left high school in '92, I vowed I would never go back to school again.

Fast forward to about 2002-5. I had been diagnosed with bi-polar 2 (if you don't think ONE problem is bad, try two of them! :mad: ), but it didn't answer all of the questions. I found a new person to work with, and they said I have Aspergers/ High function Autism (HFA). That began answering a lot of questions.

I had been married for a bit by then ('96), and my oldest was showing some similarities. They have now received the same diagnosis as me. Oh, joy...... :banghead:

But, I have been able to work with some good people and overcome some of the bigger problems in my life. I still don't like dealing with others, and I have bombed more job interviews than I care to mention. But, I have been at the same place since '99, and was been able to build up enough confidence to return to school and get a 2-year degree. (Since I was working, it took 5 years..... But! I did it!!!! :):D:cheers: )(And, honestly, I came within a phone call of not starting. I was THAT scared....)

I am now in an engineering department, and I am really looking forward to the rest of my life. I wouldn't wish my life on my worst enemy, but I know that I have been greatly blessed to have the experiences that I have. I only hope I can help anyone else who has a frustrating life to know that they don't need to give up. There is always joy if you look to God and LIVE!

Thanks for reading.

Edit: I finished reading the thread, now. Besides the troll, there have been some good comments. I enjoyed many of them.

For @Bodyguard, I would like to say that being able to stand up for yourself comes back to knowing what to do and how to react to the situation. I tend to not know the correct action, so if I get into a situation where I have to think fast, especially if it is stressful, I actually shut down. When I go back to the situation later, I will have had time to think about the situation and can make some progress on it. It still doesn't change the fact that I still don't always know what to do next. This is why I would rather not get into a situation to begin with. I stay as far from things I don't know as possible, because creating a new response is difficult on good days.

It is good to know that we are able to support each other.

Last edited:
Just a random question. At what age did you guys with autism started to talk?

I have a cousin brother with autism who is 10 years old now and he still doesn't talk. Pretty sure he know how to because my aunt said, occasionally, but rarely, when he gets happy he would sing the A-B-C and Happy Birthday at parties fluently. But most of the time he just refuses to talk.

Notice the numbers on my call sign. I'm 40. I grew up with parents who (still) don't believe that my dad has HFA, and think that seeking medical assistance in dealing with your life is really necessary. For them, the statement "just suck it up and run with it" was an okay thing to say. Yeah, THAT works.... :(
Same with my parents, "it's all in the mind, just deal with it", lol. :indiff:

Back