The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- 11/11/11! -- It's out!

• Thread starter Coxis
  • 1,282 comments
Try picking a fight with a giant. When you die, you're gonna laugh real hard.

I didn't even pick a fight with him, he just slaughtered me. :grumpy:

I can't remember the last game where I've just wandered around looking at the scenery for such a huge amount of time, this world is gorgeous. There's some ugly textures in places and some minor stuff bugs me (like candles that are pre-lit in a dungeon, yet you have to cut through a spider web, so obviously nobody has lit them in ages, just make me use a torch!) but overall it's an exceptional game. I'm on PS3 btw, and no bugs to report so far 👍.

When looking at those screens, I couldn't help but think "Wow, Crysis from back in 2007 still destroys any game in 2011".

Just something randomly that popped into my head. I started playing it again with a custom graphic set-up, and it looks better than any game I've seen. And that for a 4 year old game.

On topic: Can't wait to get my copy on Wednesday!

Crysis does look better, I was really dissapointed with the graphics in this Skyrum. After playing witcher 2, it's really hard to get over how old Skyrum looks. They could have done a little for the PC crowd and made it look at least respectable.

If you want to make crysis look old, go get witcher 2, or the new battlefield. Both of those games looks fantastic. Witcher 2 is easily the best looking game I have ever played, nothing is even a close second.

I do like Skyrum though. It's been a long time though since I played oblivion. It's going to take me awhile to get back into the RPG mind and figure out the spells and such again.

It's not really gorgeous. Not technically anyway. Artistically, yeah. And if you've got the hardware you guys should do the tweaks. Google it. Also, turn off all the AA settings and all that and use your Catalyst or Nvidia control center to override them.

I honestly can't believe how broken this game is. Bethesda can't release **** without giving me a headache. This is such a crappy PC port it's not even funny. There are bugs around every corner, and for me they're game breakers.

Don't stand too close to NPCs or you won't be able to exit the dialogue when they talk to you. Also, don't get into fights with people on roads because some giant cock will run up to you and automatically start talking to you, leaving you to get pummeled to death in the middle of everything.

I purchased Skyrim today at 5pm CST and I already played almost 5 hours. I'm loving it so far. The enviroments are really awesome and the swordplay is a lot better than I expected it to be from the first person perspective.

I have never played an Elder Scrolls before or any Bethesda game really, besides Fallout 3 for an hour in German so this is a new experience for me.

The only thing I'm confused about is items. I keep picking up equipment and then my load gets to heavy and have to drop a bunch. Is there a place to store it? Do weapons wear down or is there any reason to keep duplicates? I've sold some equimpent but still overloaded on the next mission.

I think I'm hooked though.

It's not really gorgeous. Not technically anyway. Artistically, yeah. And if you've got the hardware you guys should do the tweaks. Google it. Also, turn off all the AA settings and all that and use your Catalyst or Nvidia control center to override them.

I think I'm just going to wait awhile until they get some decent texture mods before I play it. It's a shame that the community has to make a game look decent. With all of the time and effort they put into making games, it blows my mind that gamers end up making the game look better in a few days, then the studio that makes it.

With the bug which doesn't let you exit the dialogue I find it doesn't let me exit using tab (by default) but I can still click on the exit icon on the bottom right hand corner and it exits. All the bugs I have experienced have only been minor and far from game breaking. I am really really enjoying it, much more than both recent Fallouts and even Oblivion which I thought was great.

I think I'm just going to wait awhile until they get some decent texture mods before I play it. It's a shame that the community has to make a game look decent. With all of the time and effort they put into making games, it blows my mind that gamers end up making the game look better in a few days, then the studio that makes it.

It really looks that bad to you you're not even going to play it until mods come? Wow.

Oh and I have killed two dragons which wasn't much of a problem... I then come across a frost troll.... that one was a problem. Much harder than the dragon.

Jay
It really looks that bad to you you're not even going to play it until mods come? Wow.

My kid loves watching me play it, so I'll probably jump on every once in awhile and just run around and kill wolves, but I'll wait to go through the story. I didn't use to care to much about how a game looked as long as it was playable and fun, but in the last few years, it's getting harder and harder to overlook bad graphics, especially on PC by huge studios. On console I understand, but there's no reason not to put in any effort for the PC guys. A port is a port and all, but with a game like this, with a huge budget, they should put forth a little more effort in making the game look at least respectable to other games in the same genre. If they don't want to put in a little extra effort, then do like 2k sports does, and charge 29.99 for the PC version.

I do agree they didn't put enough effort into the PC version, it does have port written all over it especially (IMO) with the menus. I did read before release that they put a lot of work in the UI for PC version but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Saying that I still prefer the PC version over console by a long shot.

Jay
Oh and I have killed two dragons which wasn't much of a problem... I then come across a frost troll.... that one was a problem. Much harder than the dragon.
Unlike Oblivion, NPCs do not level up along with you. So it's very possible for you to enter an area where creatures are way above your level, yet also meet creatures you can slay with one blow.

So many things I love about this over Oblivion. Health regeneration, plenty of potions available, you can make money if you need to...All these things that kept me running around not having as much fun in Oblivion.

And you guys are bitching about the graphics? :lol:

I purchased Skyrim today at 5pm CST and I already played almost 5 hours. I'm loving it so far. The enviroments are really awesome and the swordplay is a lot better than I expected it to be from the first person perspective.

I have never played an Elder Scrolls before or any Bethesda game really, besides Fallout 3 for an hour in German so this is a new experience for me.

The only thing I'm confused about is items. I keep picking up equipment and then my load gets to heavy and have to drop a bunch. Is there a place to store it? Do weapons wear down or is there any reason to keep duplicates? I've sold some equimpent but still overloaded on the next mission.

I think I'm hooked though.

Eventually you will be able to buy property and stash it all there, at the beginning load up to nearly max and speed travel to a place you can sell it all for cash. I sold tons of stuff las night to get just under a thousand in gold. Really helps when having to buy stuff to learn skills in the beginning.

As for weapons getting damaged yes they do, but get a good weapon with a decent amount of damage then just keep repairing it when you can, that way you level up when learning how to repair but also keep your weight down to a minimum.

Picked it up for the PS3, first Elder Scrolls game!

Pretty good, nowhere near as good as Sonic Generations (My GOTY though) but I'm loving it! 👍

And you guys are bitching about the graphics? :lol:
I have a hard time understanding the whole graphics debate either. The whole debate occurs with every game though, not just Skyrim. I prefer playing a game for what it is, rather than nitpicking over texture filtering etc.

Other than textures close up, the game is one of the best looking games out right now. Texture resolution needs to be higher and we have a winner, Crysis 2 had high res textures released by the developer as an optional download, they could do that. In Oblivion people made higher res textures and had them as a community mod.

Has to be said though, unless you're looking at stuff really close up you won't notice this about the textures, its hardly any worse than any other game out there, BF3 is the same. The lighting, water and particle effects in Skyrim are fantastic, the modeling is amazing.

To be running this game where you're wanting higher res textures though, you must have a pretty meaty computer.

I can get past the graphics, because I honestly don't think they are that bad. But the lack of hotkeys makes me a little irritated.

Skyrim should have been a PC game first and then ported to the console.

I just watched the video that drizle put up, and that video looks alot better then my game does. Maybe something went wrong with my install or something. I watched the video in 360p and it looks much better then my 1080p. I'll give those graphic tweeks a look and see if that helps me out.

I can get past the graphics, because I honestly don't think they are that bad. But the lack of hotkeys makes me a little irritated.

Skyrim should have been a PC game first and then ported to the console.

You can have hotkeys, keys 1-8 atleast

You have to favorite what you want to assign to a hotkey then press Q (by default) the little list of your favorites will appear, highlight the one you want to hotkey and press the key you wish to assign (between 1-8)

Just out of curiosity, what's the longest anyone here had with the game in one sitting? Went 9 hours straight with a 30 minute break yesterday.

And I thought the graphics were pretty impressive given the sheer scale of the place. I mean, close up the graphics are good, not great, but good. But when you're standing on a mountain watching the clouds roll over the hills and the waterfalls crashing down it's just beautiful.

The sound design is just top notch. I mean, sitting here with a 5.1 surround headset with the wind soaring past and the faint sound of a dragons roar in the distance is an amazing feeling.

Also, I'll repeat what I said in another thread. The fact they got all of this goodness onto one disc is impressive beyond description.

Last edited:
I think I'm picking this up today. Trading in 2 games for it to get it free :) Free is good. I may have to trade in gt5 but then I can buy a copy of that for $25 new on ebay so basically I'm getting Skyrim for $25 :)

I only played a bit of Oblivion but I'm pretty excited about this game.

Bf3+ Skyrim=/= A+ marks haha

Find it hard to believe how this game is only a 5GB install. I got it running on my old computer Athlon FX60 with HD3870 card. Everything set on medium, 2xAA and 2xAF, 1776x1000 resolution, with water reflections off and all of the distances near minimum. Has to be said with these settings I still had decent performance and the game still looked great, nothing compared to how it does on ultra with 8xAA/16xAF but still really good considering, and I think more tweaking would see results.

This morning my new graphics card played up (no output to the screen, I had to power down and reseat it, which worked), which then caused a registry problem on bootup, I don't have the Win7 disk here so was stuck without my computer on the day I planned to put in the most hours with Skyrim, annoying but I got to test it with my old computer, surprised it runs decently.

So is this going to be the new World of Warcraft type thing? The kind of game that destroys peoples lives because it's too addicting?

To be quite honest although this game has gotten unbelievable reviews I have to stay away for my own sake. MW3 has me addicted, this would probably kill me. :scared:

So is this going to be the new World of Warcraft type thing? The kind of game that destroys peoples lives because it's too addicting?

Not really, there isn't any multiplayer so you're not completing with others (my stats are bigger than yours! etc), which is why some people want to play them every waking hour.

Great thing about Skyrim is it's nice to take everything at your own pace. Last night I was hunting and collecting then playing around with smelting, smithing, alchemy and sorting out my ingredients and gear in my new cupboards I just purchased.

You're talking about the WoW stereotypes. I play WoW, and I'm not addicted to it. I'm probably not even buying the next expansion and only carrying on with console gaming.

Try picking a fight with a giant. When you die, you're gonna laugh real hard.

When I fought one it didn't knock me up into the air, it just stomped me into the ground :(

I've played 17.7 hours so far apparently.

I joined the companions and the quest line led to the point where I am now a werewolf :D Made a backup save just incase, but it doesn't seem to have affected my interactions with NPCs like being a Vampire did in Oblivion.

As for weapons getting damaged yes they do, but get a good weapon with a decent amount of damage then just keep repairing it when you can, that way you level up when learning how to repair but also keep your weight down to a minimum.

Are You sure?
I didn't notice a damage index.

Where can You repair Your equipment?

I only found tools at the forge to make your equipment better.

I played this weekend for about 10 hours and yes it's a world that just sucks you in. Really enjoy being there ;)

Slayed my first Yeti on that Greybeard road :D

Yesterday evening a ran into a glitch within the main quest. Dalphine kept attacking me over and over and over and over. She doesn't supposed to do that. Probably found a "workarround".

1. Travel to another city
2. Talk to guards
3. Return to meeting point with Dalphine.

Have to try that this evening.

Meanwhile my Nordic Jantokin is developing some nice skills with the great sword 👍

Weapons and armor do not degrade in Skyrim. 👍

Are you sure mate? I was convinced that's what the grinding wheels at blacksmith's are for. One thing I am struggling to figure out is where to re-enchant my weaponry?

Back