The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,744 comments
I wasn't being condescending, I was just showing you how to look up stuff, sorry if that's how it came off ;)

You didn't. Don't worry.

Nice plane, by the way. I heard the 172 is the most succesful plane in the world. How well does it fly?

You didn't. Don't worry.

Nice plane, by the way. I heard the 172 is the most succesful plane in the world. How well does it fly?
It has sold somewhere in the 34,000+ range, so yeah, pretty damn good.

As far as flying, it depends on what model you have. I think that one is a G, and registration says '66 so it matches.

I've flown it a few times, and it's just what you would think a trainer flies like. There's no autopilot, but there is a wing leveler (only if that was a heading select/hold it would be 10x better. Trim holds good, and basically if you don't use it after you're done flying it will feel like you've just benched 300+ pounds.

Vr is somewhere at 85 mph, and Vref is usually the same or more, weight dependent.

The rudder is meh, along with nose wheel... Almost zero to no response unless doing 60 degree turns. Speak of, running into your own wake in this is the coolest thing in the world. Took me a second to visualize what the heck just happened, but it was awesome... Next I wanna fly behind a 747 or something lol.

I generally like to do the long approaches from at least two miles out, but if you wanna descend 2,000 feet in thirty seconds, and pull a 90 degree, turn, it'll do it.

I wasn't being condescending, I was just showing you how to look up stuff, sorry if that's how it came off ;)

Basically if you wanna know something about a plane you see, just google the registration (don't you wish license plates were like that??)

Here's the Cessna 172 I normally go putting around in:
Cessna 172 by Jacob Buchanan, on Flickr

and just by googling "N2894L" you get this:
http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N2894L

It does work like that in the Netherlands, for car license plates. We don't have custom plates, that probably helps..

Cool video :)

You might have seen already the coolest ever display of a C-27 in the Air Tattoo 2011 video I posted numerous times :P

It does work like that in the Netherlands, for car license plates. We don't have custom plates, that probably helps..

Cool video :)

You might have seen already the coolest ever display of a C-27 in the Air Tattoo 2011 video I posted numerous times :P

That song is probably the best one to use for aviation videos...

These are my two favorite ones though..

747SPs look so goofy.
o0548036611910873084.jpg

B747-2SP_EP-IAA.jpg

1117529.jpg

1158076.jpg

Does anyone know why the A-10 Warthog's TF34 engines produce that distinct buzz or hum? Usually, in videos, the plane will be circling around and making that buzz, swoop in, fire the gun, then it roars and whistles past.

In this video, you can hear the buzz when the pilot's performing nose dives and flies slowly past the audience. There's a lot of wind noise,but you can clearly hear the engines over it:

I love the end where he's waving to the crowd with the flaps. :lol:

Does anyone know why the A-10 Warthog's TF34 engines produce that distinct buzz or hum? Usually, in videos, the plane will be circling around and making that buzz, swoop in, fire the gun, then it roars and whistles past.

In this video, you can hear the buzz when the pilot's performing nose dives and flies slowly past the audience. There's a lot of wind noise,but you can clearly hear the engines over it:

I love the end where he's waving to the crowd with the flaps. :lol:

That's just the way it sounds.... I'm not a sound engineer, but some engines, turbofans, whatever you wanna call them just have that sound.

MD-80's have their own sound with the JT8Ds, GE4000's on 747's have their own sounds, GE90's on the 777 have their own.

The main way sound is produced is the fan in the front that pulls in the air for combustion and compression. The larger the fan the more obvious of a (hard to explain) inhaling sound for that engine, the smaller the fan the more of a screaming sound is present.

Take it like this if you can't picture that. Open you mouth as wide as possible and inhale. It sounds a bit deep no? Do the same but restrict the airflow in (otherwise whistling...), and that's essentially how it goes...

EDIT:

Pratt & Whitney are actually developing a gear that will reduce the sound by slowing down the intake fan.
http://www.pw.utc.com/PurePowerPW1000G_Engine
http://www.popularmechanics.com/flight/a17813/purepower-gtf-coming-to-market/

That's just the way it sounds.... I'm not a sound engineer, but some engines, turbofans, whatever you wanna call them just have that sound.

MD-80's have their own sound with the JT8Ds, GE4000's on 747's have their own sounds, GE90's on the 777 have their own.

The main way sound is produced is the fan in the front that pulls in the air for combustion and compression. The larger the fan the more obvious of a (hard to explain) inhaling sound for that engine, the smaller the fan the more of a screaming sound is present.

Take it like this if you can't picture that. Open you mouth as wide as possible and inhale. It sounds a bit deep no? Do the same but restrict the airflow in (otherwise whistling...), and that's essentially how it goes...

Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for explaining. :D

Thanks for also including the articles about the PW1000G. It's incredible what they're doing, and I'm excited to see what else they can innovate upon.

Thanks for also including the articles about the PW1000G. It's incredible what they're doing, and I'm excited to see what else they can innovate upon.
I think it's funny now looking at it on that first article how they are making those gears right now for engines that go on regional aircraft and stuck it up on a 747.. like, it probably squeezes out only 30,000lbs of thrust..

I think it's funny now looking at it on that first article how they are making those gears right now for engines that go on regional aircraft and stuck it up on a 747.. like, it probably squeezes out only 30,000lbs of thrust..
That is because P&W uses a 747 to test all their new turbofan engines. GE does the same with a 747 as well. I want to say even Rolls Royce even uses a 747 as their flying testbed. Granted, all 3 engine manufacturers made engines for the 747 anyway lol

Also, a random thing about the previously mentioned sound of the A-10... The TF34 turbofans it uses are nearly identical to the turbofans used in the Canadair/Bombardier CRJ-200, the CF34. The Lockheed S-3 Viking also used the same engines. Old ass engines too, as they use a throttle cable unlike the FADEC controlled throttle by wire that the Embraer ERJ-145's I work on have.
The ERJ-145 uses the Rolls-Royce Allison AE3007, which can also be found in the Cessna Citation X and Northrop Grumman RQ-4 Global Hawk UAV. The basic core of the engine is also used in the RR AE1107 in the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey and AE2100 in the Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules and Lockheed/Alenia C-27J Spartan.

Anyway a random pic I took at work a few months back:
kFEE2PQ.jpg

That is because P&W uses a 747 to test all their new turbofan engines. GE does the same with a 747 as well. I want to say even Rolls Royce even uses a 747 as their flying testbed. Granted, all 3 engine manufacturers made engines for the 747 anyway lol

Also, a random thing about the previously mentioned sound of the A-10... The TF34 turbofans it uses are nearly identical to the turbofans used in the Canadair/Bombardier CRJ-200, the CF34. The Lockheed S-3 Viking also used the same engines. Old ass engines too, as they use a throttle cable unlike the FADEC controlled throttle by wire that the Embraer ERJ-145's I work on have.
The ERJ-145 uses the Rolls-Royce Allison AE3007, which can also be found in the Cessna Citation X and Northrop Grumman RQ-4 Global Hawk UAV. The basic core of the engine is also used in the RR AE1107 in the Bell-Boeing V-22 Osprey and AE2100 in the Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules and Lockheed/Alenia C-27J Spartan.

Anyway a random pic I took at work a few months back:
kFEE2PQ.jpg
Most anyoing thing about those ERJs is that there's no autothrottle...

Most anyoing thing about those ERJs is that there's no autothrottle...
Well, it is only a $20 mil regional jet that only does short flights and not a $150+ mil Boeing or Airbus lol. Our CRJ-200, CRJ-700, and CRJ-900 aircraft also don't have autothrottle either. Granted, after sitting jumpseat on numerous test flights, there really isn't that high of a workload in an ERJ anyway. Plus it would be one more thing that has to be fixed or ops checked :P

only...

And yeah, they are quite the small hops for the most part, but I know Delta once had their CRJ9s to go from Atlanta to Pittsburgh, w/o AT as well.

only...

And yeah, they are quite the small hops for the most part, but I know Delta once had their CRJ9s to go from Atlanta to Pittsburgh, w/o AT as well.

Aren't we just spoiled with all these options these days? I mean, the workload isn't that heavy when you have to throttle yourself I assume?

Back