The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,744 comments
Went to the St. John's concourse Sunday. They had a fly over during the awards ceremony and it was a b25. They said it was one that went to Japan but I don't remember if that was the actual story or just a reminder that it was the plane that bombed Japan.
Took a few pics full zoom from my iPhone.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Has anyone ever seen the F117 called Toxic Death? It was one of the prototypes and when it was retired it was donated to Wright Patterson for the Air Force Museum, but no F117 had ever been displayed in a museum before. So they media blasted the reflective paint off it before it left. And because media blasting can be pretty hateful, the crew had to be covered head to toe to protect themselves, hence the name Toxic Death. After they were done, I guess they were allowed to have a little bit of fun with it. They also took out all of the sensitive and top secret stuff, but the transit look is awesome. As far as I've seen, this is the only photo of it.

d2tkkj1jfm0n25.cloudfront.net.jpg

This is Toxic Death today.

Right (20 of 25).jpg

Has anyone ever seen the F117 called Toxic Death? It was one of the prototypes and when it was retired it was donated to Wright Patterson for the Air Force Museum, but no F117 had ever been displayed in a museum before. So they media blasted the reflective paint off it before it left. And because media blasting can be pretty hateful, the crew had to be covered head to toe to protect themselves, hence the name Toxic Death. After they were done, I guess they were allowed to have a little bit of fun with it. They also took out all of the sensitive and top secret stuff, but the transit look is awesome. As far as I've seen, this is the only photo of it.

View attachment 574015

This is Toxic Death today.

View attachment 574017

Wow. I never knew about this. Thank you for sharing!

Why do most, if not all, old Boeing 747s have a black circle on the radome and in front of the cockpit windshield?

I just did an image search for "Boeing 747" and i saw no black circles.

That said, the plane shown was actually the 747 prototype, probably quite different electronics from the ones around today. Coloring the nose over the radar meant more expensive material, which would have nothing to do with testing and proving the airplane's performance and capability. Can't use most paints over the antenna, so you get a "save money" look like the black bumpers of a cheap car.

I just did an image search for "Boeing 747" and i saw no black circles.

That said, the plane shown was actually the 747 prototype, probably quite different electronics from the ones around today. Coloring the nose over the radar meant more expensive material, which would have nothing to do with testing and proving the airplane's performance and capability. Can't use most paints over the antenna, so you get a "save money" look like the black bumpers of a cheap car.

I was watching a show on the Smithsonian channel about the 747's history. Most of the shots from the 70's showed those black dots. Try searching for Pan-Am 747s. They had the dots too.

Ahh.... now that I know what you're talking about, it makes a bit more sense. It's primarily found on the 100 series 747s, not so much the newest generations..
Lufthansa_LH_747_8i_D-ABYT_Paine_PAE_32.jpg

I'd have to assume that the major reason for this was for the radome, generally a composite material, which houses the weather radar/avoidance systems. Even in the late 60's, early 70's, weather radar was minimal but available. The black paint may or may not contain magnetic properties to help attract and correctly funnel the signals back to the dish.

B735_Wetter_Radar.JPG

This is the inside of the radome. The device tilts left to right, up and down to pick up the signals. In flight, and when the weather scanner is turned on, the pilot can adjust the tilt and pan to adjust the the angle of climb or decent.

This is the inside of the radome, unsure of the type however:
AFIKLMEM_RadomeRepair_1_600px.jpg

Mostly comprised of carbon fiber and what appears to be a honeycomb type of material.

unknown-11*750xx3264-1836-0-76.jpg

This is N664US. It's final pax revenue flight was Detroit-Seoul (Korean air in the back). While flying on it's last few hours it ran into a hail storm, this is the damage hail can do at extreme speed. The damage to the radome as well as the weather radar was going to be more costly than profitable for the next flight, so the return leg was to the boneyard.

Ahh.... now that I know what you're talking about, it makes a bit more sense. It's primarily found on the 100 series 747s, not so much the newest generations..
Lufthansa_LH_747_8i_D-ABYT_Paine_PAE_32.jpg

I'd have to assume that the major reason for this was for the radome, generally a composite material, which houses the weather radar/avoidance systems. Even in the late 60's, early 70's, weather radar was minimal but available. The black paint may or may not contain magnetic properties to help attract and correctly funnel the signals back to the dish.

B735_Wetter_Radar.JPG

This is the inside of the radome. The device tilts left to right, up and down to pick up the signals. In flight, and when the weather scanner is turned on, the pilot can adjust the tilt and pan to adjust the the angle of climb or decent.

This is the inside of the radome, unsure of the type however:
AFIKLMEM_RadomeRepair_1_600px.jpg

Mostly comprised of carbon fiber and what appears to be a honeycomb type of material.

unknown-11*750xx3264-1836-0-76.jpg

This is N664US. It's final pax revenue flight was Detroit-Seoul (Korean air in the back). While flying on it's last few hours it ran into a hail storm, this is the damage hail can do at extreme speed. The damage to the radome as well as the weather radar was going to be more costly than profitable for the next flight, so the return leg was to the boneyard.

Thanks for your explanation. I figured the black paint would have some effect on the radar's signal.

The black isn't paint, i don't think; it's the unpainted plastic surface over the radar works.

Here's a 737 with hail damage. black where the paint is chipped off.
737haildamage.jpg

And the "DO NOT PAINT" stencil on a fighter
f16_block60_nose_radome_open.jpg

Last edited:
Radomes are almost always made of fiberglass honeycomb, as carbon fiber absorbs radar energy. The radome also has to be extensively tested with the radar set that it will be protecting as to not create interference with the signal. The black paint looking stuff is dielectric primer-like coating, used to reduce static electricity on the surface of the radome. Normally it is covered with paint though. Paint thickness also can affect radar performance, along with water in the radome itself. The thin lines you see on the radome are metal electrostatic strips, used to send static electricity that builds up on the radome to the rest of the airframe to be discharged. The radar is programmed to ignore the reflections from these strips as to not show erroneous data to the flight crew.

Planes at The Nostalgia Festival Croft Race Track.

All the planes were flown in to, be put on display. The Twister Aerobatic Team put some great displays.

There was also Bucker Bestmann, which I unfortunately didn't photo.

De Havilland Chipmunk

123.JPG

Twister Aerobatic Team

131.JPG

130.JPG

005.JPG
008.JPG

Stunt Biplane

132.JPG

Bucker Bestmann

Last edited:
For many years I've personally found the Cessna 208 to be one of the most beautiful aircraft ever made:

Caravan_01.jpg

I too am found of the simplicity in the NACA 0012 airfoil

Been really interested in the MiG-25/31 recently. Anyone have any interesting stories or trivia on them?
Russian_Air_Force_Mikoyan-Gurevich_MiG-31_Pichugin-1.jpg

mig-31_06.jpg

291177.jpg

So I hear you like people who spend hours upon hours hand welding Soviet Fighters together...

Fw-190 FTW!!!!! I had a model of one of those back in middle school that my dad bought me to put next to the Me-109 I already had. The 109 completely lost it's cool factor after that for me!

My understanding is that the Mig-25 was built to intercept the XB-70. No other purpose, really. It had steel in its construction and was HEAVY!. Capable of over Mach 3, but would need its engines replaced after doing that speed. It was a scary airplane when it was still unknown. Pictures showed that huge wing, which was thought to give extreme maneuverability. When the guy defected with one, we saw that the huge wing was needed just to carry the thing into the air.

Oops. Got a like while I was editing. he liked the FW, not necessarily the MIG story. :)

Last edited:
Dan
Why do most, if not all, old Boeing 747s have a black circle on the radome and in front of the cockpit windshield?

I don't think the second part was answered, but that's just there against reflection from the sun into the pilot's eye. Some noses are still in a different color like American Airlines. Probably because of its chrome like color.
American-Airlines-merges-fully-with-US-Airways.jpg

Many military planes still have complete black noses, like the KC/RC-135. The E-3A still has anti sun reflection paint.

Been really interested in the MiG-25/31 recently. Anyone have any interesting stories or trivia on them?

Very! A defecting Russian pilot landed his Mig-25 in Japan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Belenko
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20160905-the-pilot-who-stole-a-secret-soviet-fighter-jet

Sooo North Korea held its first air show, and one pilot kinda screwed up.. (video should start at 9:07)

Wow.... looks like they got to watch a bunch of planes take off and land.......

And planes not even of there nations origin, even better :sly:👍

@Heldenzeit I forgot to give this to you when you asked for more info in my original post, sorry friend. http://www.wvi.com/~sr71webmaster/mig25.html

@Carlos it wouldn't be a N. Korean airshow (even if it's the first) unless someone nearly binned a plane, especially a Chinese made mig-21

Back