The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,744 comments
A-10 lands on a highway during the 2016 Saber Strike in Estonia.

ARRA4655.jpg

ARRA4627.jpg

But C-130's can land virtually anywhere :sly:
Also while I was taking a class at work, a random P-8 Poseidon kept doing flybys of the airport. Considering the nearest Navy base is a few hundred miles away, that is sorta weird lol...

Today, I spent about two hours at Monmouth Executive Airport (BLM/KBLM) and got to see a decent variety of small planes and one UH-60 Blackhawk take off. The UH-60 was painted in multiple colors; the main fuselage was a dark gray/brown, part of the nose was beige, and the main tail structure was a lime green. I don't know which branch of service the crew members are associated with (if any) but the chopper looked like it was going to be painted soon. As for the planes, it was your usual selection of Cessna 172s and other single-engine planes of that size. A few private jets (I think one was a Cessna Citation) and turboprops (There was a very expensive one. I forgot the name, but it's Swiss, has adjustable propellers, and can seat 8 people. The man I talked to said it produced almost 1,200 HP). Finally, I picked up a job application form and a business card. Retail is boring as hell and it's sucking the life out of me. If I'm going to get employed somewhere, I want to actually get something out of it, and put my interests to use.

Dan
Today, I spent about two hours at Monmouth Executive Airport (BLM/KBLM) and got to see a decent variety of small planes and one UH-60 Blackhawk take off. The UH-60 was painted in multiple colors; the main fuselage was a dark gray/brown, part of the nose was beige, and the main tail structure was a lime green. I don't know which branch of service the crew members are associated with (if any) but the chopper looked like it was going to be painted soon. As for the planes, it was your usual selection of Cessna 172s and other single-engine planes of that size. A few private jets (I think one was a Cessna Citation) and turboprops (There was a very expensive one. I forgot the name, but it's Swiss, has adjustable propellers, and can seat 8 people. The man I talked to said it produced almost 1,200 HP). Finally, I picked up a job application form and a business card. Retail is boring as hell and it's sucking the life out of me. If I'm going to get employed somewhere, I want to actually get something out of it, and put my interests to use.

Pilatus PC-12 maybe?
d-fgag-private-pilatus-pc-1247_PlanespottersNet_260302.jpg

Pilatus_PC_12.JPG

Pilatus and Socata are the only two I can think of that produce nearly that much HP, although, Socata isn't swiss, nor do they carry a standard 5 bladed prop (not sure who does really nowadays. You might just seen one that went to a company that puts upgrades on them, and it very well could've been the PC-12).

You know, I had been looking at those images on my break at work, so I only had a short amount of time to look. I am now 99% sure it's the Pilatus.

Here's some images of ones with the five-prop modification and it's a near-perfect match.

upload_2016-7-4_23-51-14.png

upload_2016-7-4_23-54-55.png

B-52 pilots must have an insane amount of concentration and patience to be able to fly those behemoths. You're wrestling that thing through the sky, keeping track of eight engines, keeping your cool in combat scenarios, battling crosswinds to the point of rotating your gear to perform crab landings, and so much more.

Dan
B-52 pilots must have an insane amount of concentration and patience to be able to fly those behemoths. You're wrestling that thing through the sky, keeping track of eight engines, keeping your cool in combat scenarios, battling crosswinds to the point of rotating your gear to perform crab landings, and so much more.

With the advent of technology and the nth upgrades that thing has gone through. It's not nearly the same behemoth as it once was or nearly as hard. Also people thought these things in crosswind scenarios would be hard to land, but Boeing long thought of that and made swivel landing gears to allow it to have these skewed landings while still going straight down the run way. Not saying anyone could fly these things but I'd say a modern B-52 pilot wouldn't trade in this for an original B-52A or even an original B-52H

With the advent of technology and the nth upgrades that thing has gone through. It's not nearly the same behemoth as it once was or nearly as hard. Also people thought these things in crosswind scenarios would be hard to land, but Boeing long thought of that and made swivel landing gears to allow it to have these skewed landings while still going straight down the run way. Not saying anyone could fly these things but I'd say a modern B-52 pilot wouldn't trade in this for an original B-52A or even an original B-52H

Yeah, I saw a Foxtrot Alpha article talking about a bunch of the upgrades it's seen. I briefly mentioned the sideways landings in my previous post. Are there any sources that say how many engines a B-52 can limp home on before the crew would need to bail out?

Dan
Yeah, I saw a Foxtrot Alpha article talking about a bunch of the upgrades it's seen. I briefly mentioned the sideways landings in my previous post. Are there any sources that say how many engines a B-52 can limp home on before the crew would need to bail out?

I'll look it up for you a little later and edit my post accordingly.

@Dan it depends on the situation, considering the number of engines it uses and any situation I'd say with a plane that has wing mounted turbofan engines, it depends on if the failures are symmetrical or asymmetrical. So what I could find that was suggested or thought is that the plane could lose 2 engines per wing symmetrically and fly, and asymmetrically it'd be 2 engines on one side and 1 engine on the other. This is due to one it's an old plane that lacks ailerons and used an air brake to turn so it could become to much. Uses a hydraulic system that would depend on there still being a few engines online or it would go bust.

Last edited:
There's gonna be an airshow over in Burlington, Vt on the 13th-14th of August to celebrate our state's Air National Guard's birthday. P-51's, Thunderbirds, T-6's and more! :D First airshow I'll ever be going to, extremely excited. :D P-51's in person... :drool:

F-14 and F-4 nice

So since I go to a school that is right next to the Airport here, I get a chance to see some normal and unusual planes, last semester I saw an AWACS, a refueling tanker and last month (at home) saw this and then it got reported about.
http://www.12news.com/news/local/valley/giant-russian-plane-lands-at-sky-harbor/247550594

Along with that I've seen several F-35s on both day and night training exercises between here and Tuscon. Hopefully soon I can get some pictures of that.

The most interesting one though that I saw earlier this year was a Honeywell testbed
f3b56e21313ee452b562c9e08365482d.jpg

20160126%20PHX%20DSC_0852%20757-225%20N757HW%20Honeywell%20right%20front%20landing%20l.jpg

20160126%20PHX%20DSC_0861%20757-225%20N757HW%20Honeywell%20right%20side%20landing%20l.jpg

The refueler I see from time to time
Boeing%2BKC-135R_57-1469_2016.jpg

the old one that I wish I'd seen
Boeing%2BKC-135R_62-3516_2014.jpg

I thought i read somewhere that 757 was being put down (or maybe it was the one with the F35 nose).

Boeing i think also have a 747 (sp maybe) which they test as well.

What do you mean? That 757 is strictly for Honeywell testing.
This one:
rfdv1kf.jpg

Also the first 757 ever built... This was a test bed for the F22, carrying out trial runs where groups were sent up to "engage" as well as live testing of the surfaces. Since the F22 is "finished" I read back a long time ago that this plane was to be kaput. Seeing that picture made me a bit confused, as I thought it was done, but mixed up the planes/purposes..

And then there's this:
lg17.jpg

Pratt & Whitney... not Boeing as I thought.

This one:
rfdv1kf.jpg

Also the first 757 ever built... This was a test bed for the F22, carrying out trial runs where groups were sent up to "engage" as well as live testing of the surfaces. Since the F22 is "finished" I read back a long time ago that this plane was to be kaput. Seeing that picture made me a bit confused, as I thought it was done, but mixed up the planes/purposes..

And then there's this:
lg17.jpg

Pratt & Whitney... not Boeing as I thought.
Well honeywell's plane has nothing to do with boeing, the one you read about as you just figured out was for Boeing testing solely, and scrapped when done. There are still others used int he same role since it's a good plane for it.

Well honeywell's plane has nothing to do with boeing, the one you read about as you just figured out was for Boeing testing solely, and scrapped when done. There are still others used int he same role since it's a good plane for it.
Yeah, it had been a while since i read about it, and got the two ive seen confused.

Back