The General Airplane Thread

• Thread starter Crash
  • 2,744 comments

Livestream of 'Dutch' F-35's landing in Leeuwarden AFB. First time the F-35 is in the Netherlands. Stream is active now, ETA should be in 18minutes from now.

@Swagger897 @Dan @catamount39 @GregTheStig

edit;
It's happening
CjKcsUhWkAAyXIT.jpg

Last edited:
The Embraer E190-E2 made it's maiden flight on May 23rd, ahead of schedule by months (original maiden flight was planned for second half of the year). The plane is powered by Pratt & Whitney's PurePower Geared Turbofan engines.

Edit: Thought this was an interesting quote from the Pratt vice president for PurePower engines:
"Went to 41,000 feet. They took the landing gear up immediately. And then, we went out to go see the landing and I was quite surprised by what I saw because it wasn't just your typical first flight landing, very gentle, very safe, with the chase planes in tow. No, the Embraer guys took the aircraft on an aerobatic mission over the crowd, low altitude, four different fly-bys, high-bank turns, gear up. They did a high-bank, high-G maneuver and on the last turn, they started waggling their wings, waving to the crowd. And then they came around and landed the aircraft. It was just a phenomenal display of the aircraft. Obviously the fly-by-wire system is working well. The Geared Turbofan engines performed flawlessly. A very exciting day for those of us who were there watching the event."

Here is a cool video of the flight:

Last edited:
Ha, yeah well it's still a ways away from commercial flight though, which is sometime in 2018. This plane is one of 4 prototypes to be used for certification.

Are geared turbo fans common? Never heard of those things before. :embarrassed:
It's some pretty impressive technology, you can thank Pratt & Whitney for that. They're very quiet engines too! To answer your question, no they aren't common, at least not yet. None are certified or in commercial use yet, as far as I know.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geared_turbofan

Last edited:
I live next to the Paris Air Show and CDG (biggest airport in France). So as a child, I was fascinated by planes. And after 3 of pure mathematics (math fondamentes in French) I was lucky enough to enter the best French school of aeronautics and aerospace.
Unfortunately, IMO I don't find the science behind planes to be the most amazing thing. After 6 months I knew it wasn't for me and I would never be an aeronautical engineer :P
Simply wanted to share my experience if there are some futur students interested. IMO Don't study pure maths before an engineer's degree!! My brain didn't like it.

The Embraer E190-E2 made it's maiden flight on May 23rd, ahead of schedule by months (original maiden flight was planned for second half of the year). The plane is powered by Pratt & Whitney's PurePower Geared Turbofan engines.

Edit: Thought this was an interesting quote from the Pratt vice president for PurePower engines:
"Went to 41,000 feet. They took the landing gear up immediately. And then, we went out to go see the landing and I was quite surprised by what I saw because it wasn't just your typical first flight landing, very gentle, very safe, with the chase planes in tow. No, the Embraer guys took the aircraft on an aerobatic mission over the crowd, low altitude, four different fly-bys, high-bank turns, gear up. They did a high-bank, high-G maneuver and on the last turn, they started waggling their wings, waving to the crowd. And then they came around and landed the aircraft. It was just a phenomenal display of the aircraft. Obviously the fly-by-wire system is working well. The Geared Turbofan engines performed flawlessly. A very exciting day for those of us who were there watching the event."

Here is a cool video of the flight:

Hmm. The whole airframe looks very interesting, to say the least.

Is anybody from GT Planet planning to attend the MAAM WWII weekend next weekend besides me?
I'd love to go, not sure if I will though. I know either next weekend (I'm quite positive) or the following weekend I'll be going up to Columbus, OH. Problem is, Delta doesn't fly from CMH to PHL, or LGA to PHL, and I'd rather not have to go from CMH-ATL-PHL (Damn, I need my pilot's license).

If I can get my ducks lined up, I might, not sure exactly.

I just love the sound jet engines make when the pilots adjust the throttle while flying overhead. About 30 minutes ago, I'm 99% sure it was another C-17 (As usual) dialing back the power, then pushing it back up slightly. They were probably less than ten minutes away from final approach at Maguire/Dix/Lakehurst.

The C-5 Galaxy's TF39s sound amazing. Turbofans have so many interesting noises, like that high-pitched wailing, and deep, grainy, pulsing hum. Have a listen to these C-5s taking off and landing. Volume warning.

Dan
A P-47 Thunderbolt has crashed in the Hudson River. Witnesses said that they saw a trail of smoke coming from the plane before it crashed. The pilot did not survive. :(

Warning: auto-playing video.
http://pix11.com/2016/05/27/rescuers-responding-to-small-plane-that-has-crashed-into-hudson-river/

:(
DSC_0465 by Chris Beal, on Flickr

As soon as I found out it was "Jacky's Revenge", I though back to last year at WW2 Weekend in Reading, where the photos in this post were taken. I couldn't remember until I looked, but each year they perform the missing man formation to end the airshow. Last year, it was the P-47 that broke formation, climbing skyward to honor the fallen pilot.

DSC_0597 by Chris Beal, on Flickr

P-47 by Chris Beal, on Flickr

Start at 10:26.

Dan
A P-47 Thunderbolt has crashed in the Hudson River. Witnesses said that they saw a trail of smoke coming from the plane before it crashed. The pilot did not survive. :(

Warning: auto-playing video.
http://pix11.com/2016/05/27/rescuers-responding-to-small-plane-that-has-crashed-into-hudson-river/
Devastating news. I was looking forward to seeing Jacky's Revenge again in Reading next weekend.

My condolences to the family of William Gordon.

I wonder if The Jacky C will be at Reading.. I could be mistaken but I believe that Gordon flew that plane as well.

Damn... It looks like he controlled it into the water, but shocked to see he wasn't able to jump out quick enough.

From the news I heard last night, witnesses said they saw the pilot moving around inside the cockpit after it hit the water, but once it went below the waves, he never reappeared.

Makes me miss the F-15 demos. On a full afterburner takeoff, you could feel the ground shaking before you could see it coming down the runway. Up until two weeks ago, it was my favorite tac demo. But it's been beaten, and by a good margin, by this:

The F-22 demo is the craziest thing I've seen at an airshow in a long time. Great looking, highly maneuverable, sounds almost as good as the Eagle. It seemed like the pilot was doing his best to give everyone that braved the cold, damp day a good display. Compared to videos of other demos this year, it seemed much more aggressive.

In the news.. Thunderbirds F-16 crashed and ejected safely. Blue Angels F-18 crashed, pilot probably not okay.

It's bad enough that one crashed, but losing one from both of our main flight demonstration teams just hours apart is crazy. Blue Angel #6 was confirmed to have not made it.

From reddit:
2ZCz39J.jpg

http://www.navytimes.com/story/military/2016/06/02/navy-blue-angel-jet-crashes-tennessee/85310876/

Not sure what's the case of the crash yet, but I can almost guarantee he didn't eject because of all the houses that were nearby. The crash site was really close to a neighborhood so the pilot likely stayed with it to ensure it landed in the woods. It was the honorable thing to do but still incredibly sad.

Sad news :( I'm interested to see how they go on from now, do they have a back-up pilot?

Pretty sure they do but it'll take time for them to get onboarded. I'd imagine at least some of their upcoming shows are cancelled.

The first time I saw the official F-22 demo I was shooting video. Usually you shoot the pass, press pause and wait for the pass from the other direction and resume recording. The F-22 was never out of view long enough, so I had over 7 minutes of uninterrupted video. I finally paused it as he went right for a slow pass because my arms were getting shaky!

When you say it seemed more aggressive than what you've seen in videos, I would speculate that that's just because you were there in person. The demo is completely choreographed and the pilot has no options other than a flat version if the ceiling is too low for vertical maneuvers. The demo I saw last spring was the same demo I saw the first year they were doing them, back in 2007. Similarly, the F-15 demo is the same as it's been since the dawn of time: the 4-rolls-in-three-seconds, the double-Immelmann in less than 3000 feet of altitude, etc. etc. etc. There is no "I think I'll do this to give them a special thrill here." Any demo pilot that did that would be out of a job demo-piloting pretty much before he landed. The only exception I ever saw to this was the final year of the F-14 demonstrations, where several high-speed passes were added to the end of the demo, for lots of photo opportunities for that vapor-puffing afterburning LOUD turn! (The F-14 was the loudest fighter jet I ever saw, surpassed only by the B-1B with its four giant afterburners.)

I've not done airshow video for years, now, never having upgraded to an HD camera. My camera is digital video and will shoot widescreen, but it's still just 720x480, and it goes wide-screen by screwing up the pixel aspect ratio, so wide screen is just 720 wider pixels..... It's just not worth shooting when everything you watch it on is HD now.

When you say it seemed more aggressive than what you've seen in videos, I would speculate that that's just because you were there in person. The demo is completely choreographed and the pilot has no options other than a flat version if the ceiling is too low for vertical maneuvers.
It's likely a combination of both points you make. The F-22 is just more maneuverable than anything I've seen. The Super Hornet demo just before it probably made the difference more noticeable than it would have been if the Raptor followed an aerobatic act. Overcast skies left few points of reference through a camera lens, which could have added to the effect. Also, pictures from Friday show some differences in the demos, so it looks like Sunday was the low version of the demo.

@fatman_5050

Here's more F-22 than you can stand.

Starting at 6:24 and running the rest of the video is pieces of the F-22 demo at the 2015 Gulf Coast Salute weekend at Tyndall AFB, my local base, and a training base for the F-22. The TY on the tail means the demo aircraft is from Tyndall. It starts with the non-public show on Friday, and at 11:31 we see some of the same demonstration on that Saturday, and at 12:33 we see the pass where I got this shot, which I've posted here before:
17109305376_ec37d8d17e_o.jpg

Then at 12:45 is where I got this one:
17133680882_b87cb5b57f_c.jpg

Kinda cool seeing a video from a show I was at!!!!

Back