The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,815 comments
DK
I just watched the first 2 episodes of DanDaDan, I can see where all the hype came from. The only problem is I now have to wait for the episodes to be dripfed every week.
The wait between anime episodes is almost as excruciating as the wait between manga chapters. Season 2 is planned. I hope it lasts. Things get really weird. 😅

Now that Planetes is on Crunchyroll it's probably time I sub for a month or so but I'm not really into anime, it's more that I like good sci-fi and lots of good sci-fi happens to be anime so I'm sure proper anime aficionados would regard my taste as predictable and boring.

Can anyone recommend anything on Crunchyroll that might appeal to someone who likes Akira, Ghost in the Shell, the Animatrix, Cowboy Bebop, Blame!, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cyberpunk, FLCL, Trigun, the Blade Runner 2049 prequels... I've seen that Desert Punk and Outlaw Star are on there, haven't seen those for some time so those are on my list, along with a Blade Runner series and the Trigun remake. Wasn't a fan of Gundam Wing (too much politics, not enough giant mech combat) or Attack on Titan (felt a bit too silly yet took itself too seriously for me) though. I haven't seen, but would like to, Samurai Champloo, Afro Samurai, Terminator Zero, Neo Tokyo, Memories and, probably quite predictably, Lazarus. Going way, way back there was Riding Bean, Patlabor and... Probably some more. Appleseed? Was that a mech thing?

Oh and I would watch the hell out of Initial D if I had access to it, but... I don't. Amazon Prime has an OVA of it but I think it only covers the first season (which I did "find online" many many years ago.)

Umm... Yeah. Would appreciate some guidance on what else I could watch to make a subscription worthwhile, please and thank you!

You haven't left a lot of stones unturned there. The first thing that springs to mind is Steins;Gate. It doesn't have the same uber-futuristic aesthetic as the likes of Cyberpunk, GitS or Akira but it's still sci-fi. Chainsaw Man isn't sci-fi, but what it does have is great combat scenes and characters.

Thanks @DK, I just watched a few seconds of Chainsaw Man between ads and it reminded me I also enjoyed Hellsing and Vampire Hunter D! The only series of Steins;Gate on Crunchyroll is Steins;Gate 0 which is an alternate timeline or something - any harm in starting there?

Back