The Le Mans General Discussion Thread

What other companies should join the LMP1 battle? Honda? Lamborghini ( OMG YUS PLS)? Ford?

I would say Ford is better off in GTLM/GTE. Lamborghini...no thanks. I think the ones that should be in are Honda, Ferrari, Aston, Mazda, Jaguar, and more importantly Mercedes/McLaren and BMW. But that's a perfect world and it would be so wonderful I think I'd be annoyed.

Just a European company? That could be anything from Ferrari to BMW to Renault to Volvo Lorries.

I hope it's Volvo Lorries.

I knew it! :)

4 way battle between Audi, Porsche, Toyota & Nissan next year!!! :drool:

Oh by the way:

Came here to post that! :lol:

Still, here's a pic so you guys can't say I was tree'd

nissangtr14.jpg

I expect Honda to enter now. They won't standby and let Toyota and Nissan get all the headlines.
Why? They don't stand to gain anything from it. They're already getting headlines in MotoGP, and will get lots of attention in Formula 1. The WEC lags behind both in terms of coverage and prestige, if only because the calendar is half the size. They are also an established force in the BTCC, are probably the only ones who can beat Citroen in the WTCC, and have a pretty strong SuperGT presence. So they already have an extensive motorsports programme, and don't need the WEC. Especially if it means sinking hundreds of millions of dollars into a prototype simply because their domestic rivals did it. If they really wanted to expand, they would stand to gain more by entering the World Rally Championship.

What other companies should join the LMP1 battle? Honda? Lamborghini ( OMG YUS PLS)? Ford?

I think Honda is developing a customer engine for LMP1, a turbocharged V6 based on the Indycar engine, with or without a hybrid system.

Mercedes, Mazda and Peugeot would make this the next generation of Group C.

*crossed fingers*

Mercedes won't join. Can't see Peugeot joining agin for at least another 5 years and Mazda might do if they get their Diesel engines working ok in the P2 car.

I think the mostly likely to give it a go is Honda . The dream would be to get an American manufacturer to join, then it would give LMP1 a real global appeal.

I think the mostly likely to give it a go is Honda . The dream would b to get an American manufacturer to join, then it would give LMP1 a real global appeal.

The only group I can see doing that is Panoz or at the far off GM with Cadi again. Dodge doesn't have the resources nor is it even looking to really expand in that market, if anything they are the one company that is trying to be "fun" in their minds. And by that they don't want to go to a big hybrid or electric platform while doing their big SRT modded cars and such. Ford...I just don't see Ford on any premier outside European racing with WRC or Touring cars if they wanted to, and obviously stock car racing like NASCAR and V8 Supers. Every one else is too small and would need help to be competitive in the LMP1 non-hybrid privateer class, forget the full on portion with works teams.

Nice to hear Nissan coming back to Le Mans 2015. Now Honda and maybe Mercedes Benz could come back so we can have 3 German and 3 Japanese car company going at it in the LMP1.
Current LMP1
2014-audi-r18-e-tron-quat-4_600x0w.jpg

Toyota-TS040-Hybrid-Racer-6-620x350.jpg

s1_24076.jpg

Then some future LMP1 entries I hope.

2013_Nissan_LM_RaceCar_06.jpg

honda1.jpg

c0ad67441e19195a8da198f6c6b097e7.jpg
Never seen the Merc one it's quite awesome even if fictional. The Honda one has been around for a few years now. But I doubt MB will join due to F1 being so expensive and them winning right now.

Back