The New GTPlanet Scavenger Hunt...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,038 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that was a rule then the participation would be almost nil. I think you should just use your best judgment, if you feel like you can safely take a picture and drive the car then go for it, if you are against it then you don't have to do it.

Since there isn't a law in the US saying you can not then it's not doing anything illegal, therefore not breaking a forum rule. However, in the UK as you've guys said it is illegal.

I'm going to have to down-vote the semi-proposed photo rule as well. The overwhelming majority of pictures I've taken have been from inside of my car, and like Joey has said, it is up to my best judgment to decide if it is safe to take the photo or not... Normally I only attempt to do so when the vehicle is not moving. However, many times my brother is in the car with me, so I will often hand him the phone and tell him what to take the photo of.

I do agree that we shouldn't encourage taking photos from behind the wheel, but I don't think that was ever our intent either. We as participants must use our best judgment, and I think we should leave it at that.

:lol: Ours isn't the only DYSAGT thread I post in - if you guys made the rule, I'd laugh in your faces and take five times the driving photos just to spite you. Sorry if it scares you to take pictures from your car - it doesn't scare me.

Joey
If that was a rule then the participation would be almost nil.

So true.

You'll also notice in my M Coupe shot, the road is straight, empty, and devoid of sidewalks. But I guess daan is scared a wayward deer might run into the road!

Tallest Car (Truck)
n78001441_30360579_4469.jpg

According to the specs on Edmunds, a height of 80.4 in on the Ford F250 Super Duty makes this guy pretty big. Thats a hair over 2m in height for you Europeans.

I think there should be a rule about letting people who don't play suggest rules, but maybe that's just me. :confused:

Milford Cubicle does play - she just isn't the photographer.

You'll also notice in my M Coupe shot, the road is straight, empty, and devoid of sidewalks. But I guess daan is scared a wayward deer might run into the road!

It's nothing to do with being "scared". It's simply that in the UK, taking a photograph while driving a car (possibly even whilst static) is illegal, and one of GTPlanet's rules is that we will not use it to violate any laws. So when a Brit gets pulled over for taking a photo while driving and we say "I was just taking a photo of the most expensive Volkswagen I could find, for GTPlanet's Scavenger Hunt"...

Joey has it right...

Joey D
Since there isn't a law in the US saying you can not then it's not doing anything illegal, therefore not breaking a forum rule. However, in the UK as you've guys said it is illegal.

If you do introduce the no photos whilst driving rule I pretty much won't be able to enter as most of my photos are taken from the car. Although a lot of the time I am a passenger. Otherwise I only do it in slow traffic or pull over and take it from the side of the road. I would never try and snap a car while doing 100kph on the motorway.

Well, from my point of view, common sense rules: Take it or don't take it while driving, it's your choice.

The recommendation is that you don't, since it takes your concentration off the road, but it's like saying "Don't change the radio station whilst driving", or "don't light a cigarette", both of which people do and require them to take their eyes off the road.

Personally, I take pics while on the highway at fixed speeds and set in a lane with little or no traffic. On the streets, usually when in traffic and if I see a nice car parked and I'm on the move, I'll probably circle the block, find a parking spot and take the pic.

So just to clear the bonus up: Everyone who posts a pic of the BMW M Coupe (Z3 type) gets a bonus point. And for every spot of it, you get a point, so the more you spot, the more points you get, in that category. The rest work as they've always worked.

And if I can trouble you all to adhere to the metric system at least this once, that would be great. 👍 Online Conversion works like a charm

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to spark any type of bad feeling, but it's just a bugbear of mine, that's all.

Incidentally, another forum I am a *ahem* regular participant of has the 'no photos whilst driving' rule and any pictures which are blatantly taken by the driver whilst in motion are removed and the poster told off. However, we've no way of knowing if a photo is cropped to only show the target, or if they use the disclaimer of "pics taken by passenger" and it looks like they might have been...

Well, from my point of view, common sense rules: Take it or don't take it while driving, it's your choice.

Personally, I take pics while on the highway at fixed speeds and set in a lane with little or no traffic. On the streets, usually when in traffic and if I see a nice car parked and I'm on the move, I'll probably circle the block, find a parking spot and take the pic.

Agreed with both points.

daan
Nah, Dougs right. I'm just a big feartie.

I know!

Tallest Vehicle:
carspot008mg4.jpg

A stock E-series is 84" tall, or 213 centimeters. This one's got the raised top and an A/C unit perched up there to add a few more inches.
I'd guess a conservative 110 inches, total or just a hair under 280 centimeters.

Oldest Japanese Car
carspot011df8.jpg

Datsun 280ZX - 1978 to 1983.

I saw an M Coupe, but it was gone before I could whip out Ye Olde Cameraphone.

All the expensive VW's I see on a semi-regular basis (working near a high-end marina will do that) have gone into hiding - The most expensive one I've seen is a new GTI.

But I'll keep looking.

Tallest Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi L300 Van.

Base height: 1970mm + the Camper Top (approx 788mm) = 2785mm

Bedford House Bus.

Base height: 3300 (approx) + Chimney (approx 1000) = 4300mm (Approx)

Oldest Japanese Car and car with only one mirror as standard (only came with drivers-side mirror)

1973 Mitsubishi Galant 1800

Tallest Vehicle:

A stock E-series is 84" tall, or 213 centimeters. This one's got the raised top and an A/C unit perched up there to add a few more inches.

Tallest Vehicle

1983 Mitsubishi L300 Van.
Base height: 1970mm + the Camper Top (approx 788mm) = 2785mm

Bedford House Bus.
Base height: 3300 (approx) + Chimney (approx 1000) = 4300mm (Approx)
-Diego-
4. Tallest car
Distance taken from the floor/tarmac up to the roof of the car.

Fair enough on the chimney call, but I would have thought that the camper top is still the roof of the car. It is fixed in place.

Not my categories - I'm just highlighting what -Diego- stated and potential problems with your entries.

Yeah, sorry about that. I was implying about the roofline of the car. Add-ons wouldn't be included, unless they're part of the car.

Wow theres a new thread now? I really need to keep up and get with the program. Whens judgement and whens the next set of categories going to come up?

Okay, screw the F-250 entry for "Tallest Vehicle," this one takes the cake:

1) Its the largest civilian vehicle sold in the North American market
2) It retails for $115,000 USD
3) They're built in Garland, Texas
4) They stand at 21 feet in height, or 6.1 meters if you like metrics

Yes, its the International CXT!

...Only in America, baby!

Okay, screw the F-250 entry for "Tallest Vehicle," this one takes the cake:

1) Its the largest civilian vehicle sold in the North American market
2) It retails for $115,000 USD
3) They're built in Garland, Texas
4) They stand at 21 feet in height, or 6.1 meters if you like metrics

Yes, its the International CXT!

So... it's as tall as a Dodge Ram Wagon standing on its nose?

Wikipedia
Introduced in September of 2004, the CXT is 21 ft (6.4 m) long

Wikipedia
with a 9 ft (2.7 m) tall cab.

That's still pretty tall though.

Why would someone buy that?

Unless they were King Kong's kids or something.

Whoa. I thought for a second you meant that delivery truck. Then I realized there's a huge pickup-truck, so I thought: "Wait a minute, this delivery-truck is just a miniature!". Then I got it.

Oops on the hight thing. Driving next to it on the highway, it was likely taller than two of my Jettas stacked on top of each other, probably with enough room for a motorcycle on top of that. I couldn't believe how big it was. Sure, I had seem them at auto shows, but until you see them on the road, you really can't appreciate how big it is... Particularly when you're sitting at an even height with the Semi-Truck in the other lane.

Still, a nine feet, thats just HUGE. That may not fit through the drive-through at McDonalds...

I've got 1 car for this week, but its entered into 2 categories

A 1991 Nissan Micra. A 16 year old Japanese car, with 1 wing mirror as standard.

Age proved by entering reg details here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back