The New GTPlanet Scavenger Hunt...

• Thread starter Famine
  • 1,038 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go daaaaaaaaaan!

I'd say so far you're in it for the side mirror, although that old 1970 Japanese car posted a bit back has the cake for oldest one. Still, you got all day tomorrow to scavenge some more.

I have to say, I'm driving a lot better this week, since I haven't had to look everywhere for possible candidates.

I'll update mine.

Oldest Japanese Car
carspot011df8.jpg

280ZX. 1978 to 1983.

Tallest Vehicle
carspot001ud4.jpg

Starts at 78.5", stock. This one's been lifted. Lots.
Still doesn't hold a candle to YSS's entry, but I figure I'd post this one anyway.

Most Expensive VW
carspot005ln1.jpg

Tourag V8. MSRP of $43,110 USD.

Edit -

Cars with one side mirror
carspot001zp9.jpg

Mazda 323, circa 1989-1993.

I was holding out for a Phaeton and stupidly forgot to photograph a Touareg in the meantime. I forgot to go out of my way to look for a Phaeton and so I have nothing in sum. I'm so mad at myself. But I'm a shoo in for the bonus at least. My other entries:

scavenger5.jpg

scavenger7.jpg

'88-'91 Civic, one wing mirror. Can't prove age because obviously we can't do that in the States but let's assume they're both '91s. :D

scavenger3.jpg

scavenger4.jpg

1973-1979 Civic.

Tallest:

scavenger2-1.jpg

scavenger6.jpg

Tall, yes? Unmeasurable though except versus the A3. Versus a CXT? I don't know.

1. Oldest Japanese Car
corollavp4.jpg

2nd Gen Corolla 1970-1978

2. Most expensive Volkswagen
dsc00778ip1.jpg

VW Golf R32 - $46,925.37 USD

4. Tallest car
dsc00785tz7.jpg

Some sprinter with an extra high roof, probably about 3 and a bit metres.

(Although I really see no difference between that 'I'm really a truck but am sold as a totally impractical passenger car', it has exhausts coming out the top for crying out loud, so I'm going to enter this too)

(Some huge truck with a built on 'pick-up' part)

Now how's that truck a passenger vehicle, Casio? I'm not sure about the van either... I asked for no paneled vans... I mean, windows instead of panels usually indicates that it's a passenger van instead of a delivery truck.

Ins't it amazing that a Golf R32 costs more than a V8 Touareg? Some great entries this week 👍

Doug
'88-'91 Civic, one wing mirror. Can't prove age because obviously we can't do that in the States but let's assume they're both '91s.

Or we could assume they're '88s and it'd be a contender for the oldest Japanese car? :D

Now how's that truck a passenger vehicle, Casio?
I know it's not :lol:. I was just stating that personally I think that construction truck is as useful and practical as the CXT for Passengers and road driving.

I'm not sure about the van either... I asked for no paneled vans... I mean, windows instead of panels usually indicates that it's a passenger van instead of a delivery truck.

According the first post I just read ' Vans, pickup trucks and SUVs are valid' and the Sprinter is marketed under Vans at least in Australia. What's the difference between a van and a paneled van? The CXT has this catagory wrapped up regardless though.

a paneled van is one that has panels on the sides. For example:

This van has windows on the sides, meaning that behind it there are seats, which would mean it's a passenger van.

While this one doesn't have windows, it has panels. Meaning there's cargo space in the back.

According the first post I just read ' Vans, pickup trucks and SUVs are valid' and the Sprinter is marketed under Vans at least in Australia. What's the difference between a van and a paneled van? The CXT has this catagory wrapped up regardless though.

In this instance Van = Minivan, rather than panel van.

Edit: Famine's categories for W/C 11th August.

1. Fastest ORANGE car. As it says (and fastest refers to top speed, before anyone asks).
2. Bargain Basement Benz. The cheapest car which allows you entry to the exclusive club of Mercedes-Benz owners.
3. Lady and the Tramp. The biggest price difference (as new) between two adjoining cars - we'll be taking it as the ratio of cheapest:expensivest car, so spot a Veyron next to a Perodua Kelisa and you're laughing.
4. Size of a cow, heart of a mouse. Find the BIGGEST car with the SMALLEST displacement engine (note: rotaries are counted as twice their displacement, for equality's sakes). The winner will be calculated by [height (m) x length (m) x width (m)]/engine capacity (litres)

BONUS: Mk1 MX-5/Miata/Eunos Roadster.

Alright, so here we are. I'll give you all the benefit of the doubt in the newest/oldest categories and assume they are indeed the newest/oldest of their generation. Final scores are as follows:

1. Oldest Japanese Car
Casio. The 1970-ish Corolla. Closely followed by the 1973 Galant.

2. Newest car with only one side mirror
Tie, between Doug with the 1991 Civic and daan with the 1991 Micra.

3. Most expensive Volkswagen
Slicks. I checked on www.carprices.com and the Golf R32 goes for $32,000 (US), while the V8 Touareg goes for around $48,000 (US).

4. Tallest car
YSSMAN. Gashlycrumb's 3.3 metre high bus house was a good contender, but the fact that it's more of an RV (motor home) than a passenger vehicle proved its demise.

Bonus: BMW M Coupe
Only one: Doug.

So, almost everyone who got entries in got a point. And Doug wins this round (oh noes!)
M5Power: 2
Casio: 1
daan: 1
Slicks: 1
YSSMAN: 1

CURSES!
I edited my last post, but I'm an hour late. I would've had the wing mirror category.

Oh, and for the new categories - The bonus specifically - Is it one point per bonus car spotted?

As for the M-B category, do these actually have to be for sale, or can we take any car we see and figure out a market value?

When you say the cheapest Benz do you mean new price (ie A class) or market value as now?
Used car prices vary widely for seemingly random reasons. I hardly think they should count, and in addition counting used cars would cause a mess as one would try to determine how the specific car would be valued.
So the best you could get would be an A-Class.

For clarification by 'ratio of cheapest:expensivest' if I spot a $5,000 car next to a $50,000 car (1:10), that beats a $400,000 car next to a $100,000 car (1:4), or is it purely cost difference? And is it being converted to US market price (Like my R32 last round)?

Very good categories this week, as I'm quite excited to see what I can come up with. Doug has a pretty good chance of taking the price ratio category, the Europeans have a better shot with the cheap Mercedes models, but from there its pretty free. I can think of a truck or two that may do well in the engine class...

So my win this week means I choose categories for next week right?

Good categories Famine. Be sure to keep the leaderboard updated.

I think I can handle the Miata...my professor drives one.

Oh, and for the new categories - The bonus specifically - Is it one point per bonus car spotted?

One point ONLY. But feel free to post up more than one anyway.

As for the M-B category, do these actually have to be for sale, or can we take any car we see and figure out a market value?

It's open - as long as it's driveable and has a three-pointed star.

For clarification by 'ratio of cheapest:expensivest' if I spot a $5,000 car next to a $50,000 car (1:10), that beats a $400,000 car next to a $100,000 car (1:4), or is it purely cost difference? And is it being converted to US market price (Like my R32 last round)?

Ratio only - I won't be converting prices as it shouldn't really matter all that much. There's some variation in the markets, but unless there's a pair of identical vehicles with different ratios depending on location, conversion ought not to be necessary.

So my win this week means I choose categories for next week right?

Good categories Famine. Be sure to keep the leaderboard updated.

Correct - you have until Friday 17th, 2359GMT to think up some categories. Feel free to post them up at some point during Friday evening (GMT) as I did though.

And today, of all days, I have to see an M5 next to a Hyundai Getz. That's a ratio of around 1:10. Plus an old SL200 Benz, and an Orange Twingo. Wait - that's not fast.

CURSES! Again.

I was up in a very high-class new development near me, and there was an SL65AMG (the same one I spotted a few days back, when my cell battery was dead) next to a Smart car. That would've taken the price difference category.

The picture I took didn't turn out, though - Too dark. Just a bunch of blurry lines.

Since it's been posted elsewhere it'd be hard to keep under wraps for a (hopefully very certain) win in the 'most expensive next to least expensive' category...

carrera_gt-081107-5.jpg

That Carrera GT was bought new, but AutoTrader pegs the current average price on a Carrera GT at around $321,000. The Escalade next to it starts at $54700, for a $266,300 price difference in today's pricing. If you went by new pricing, the Carrera GT would go for $440,000, for a $385,300 price difference. Your call but either way I hope I'm a shoo-in! Who ever thought the 'least expensive' of that category would be a Cadillac Escalade? :lol:

EDIT: seems Famine specified an 'as new' price difference, so $385,000 it is. Wow!

Oh well then that's nothing - I got a photo earlier today that trumps it, in fact. Worth a try!

So if I find a Model T ($125) next to a Bentley Continental ($170,000), I could be in for overkill... technically.

I'm hoping to see lots of very random pictures of big, crap cars next to small, cheap ones this week.

By the way... Just for examples in the "Size of a cow" category...

Mazda MX-3 V6: 4.21m long x 1.69m wide x 1.28m high = 9.11m^3
Mazda MX-3 V6: 1.8 litre capacity
Mazda MX-3 V6: 5.1m^3/litre

B6 Audi A4 2.8: 4.55m long x 1.77m wide x 1.43m high = 11.52m^3
B6 Audi A4 2.8: 2.8 litre capacity
B6 Audi A4 2.8: 4.1m^3/litre

So MX-3 V6 >> Audi A4 2.8.

In the event of a tie-break (to one decimal place), I'll give the point to the heavier car. In the event of a tie-break still, I'll just give a point each.

I'm hoping to see lots of very random pictures of big, crap cars next to small, cheap ones this week.

You mean 'any sized, expensive cars next to small, cheap ones'? :confused:

PS - A4 2.8 wasn't turbocharged! :D

Well, lets see where this leads (assuming I find something better):

Size of a Cow:
2005 Chevrolet Uplander "Base"

5.2M (length) X 1.8M (width) X 1.8M (height) = 16.848
Divide by 3.5 (V6) = 4.8 "mouse index"

I assume thats how we're supposed to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back