The Political Satire/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 13,619 comments
Dat thigh gap...

Or wait, is that just toilet paper stuck to his ass?
e2808f6bc49a1d92.jpg

Im watching the local news right now and they literally just spent the last 5 minutes highlighting people cleaning up. :odd:

On a national level though, nothing is really being said or if it is, it's overshadowed by acts of violence. Seriously, if it wasn't for people posting videos of people helping cleanup Minneapolis, I wouldn't know anyone was out trying to right a wrong.

On a national level though, nothing is really being said or if it is, it's overshadowed by acts of violence. Seriously, if it wasn't for people posting videos of people helping cleanup Minneapolis, I wouldn't know anyone was out trying to right a wrong.

Gotcha, the local media here has done a pretty good job in my view of highlighting the fact a vast majority of protestors have been peaceful, too bad the national outlets can’t do the same.

Props to Branco...he really is adept at distorting reality in support of his alt-right narrative.

I particularly enjoyed the one where he depicted a skinny Trump (this was hilarious all by itself) being called racist for employing the traitorous critic fallacy, saying "If you don't like America, leave",* when he was actually called racist for telling four brown lawmakers to go back and fix the countries they came from, when three of them were born in the United States.

I don't always agree with Bill Bramhall's cartoons, but I respect the fact that he doesn't gaslight.

*And how odd that Trump would employ that particular fallacy when he didn't leave during Obama's presidency, instead opting to criticize Obama so frequently over Twitter that there's now an old Trump tweet to illustrate his hypocrisy in light of a crazy number of present situations; it's similar to the way there's always a Simpsons clip or quote.

The wording seems strange.
Quite sweeping to say that all the people from those three groups are not certain things.
They probably intended to say that not all the people from those groups are those things.
I don't find a difference between the two wordings or find it strange. To me if all X are not Y then not all X are Y.

I get what it's trying to say, but the wording makes it looks like it's say there are no bad cops, no black thugs and no racist whites.

I get what it's trying to say, but the wording makes it looks like it's say there are no bad cops, no black thugs and no racist whites.
OK, I get what you're trying to say. It's badly worded but I'm down with the sentiment. I think any disagreements are down to semantics but it's better to make yourself impossible to misunderstand than to merely shoot for "easy to understand".

I'm sorry that what I hoped was a universal sentiment was shot down over bad phrasing though. That'll learn me.

Last edited:
All X are not Y can be false without not all X are Y being false.

As a logic statement, yes.

In normal language usage, “all x are not y” means “not all x are y”, while the logic statement “all x are not y” would be phrased as “no x are y”.

Edit: As a programmer, the phrases in each of these pairs say the same thing:

All cops are not bad; No cops are bad.

All that glitter is not gold; Nothing that glitter is gold.

All is not lost; Nothing is lost.

In everyday English usage, the meaning would be very different though.

All cops are not bad: Don’t judge all cops based on what some of them do.

All that glitter is not gold: Don’t be fooled by the appearance of things, just because it looks good doesn’t mean that it is.

All is not lost: We lost some things, but we can still win in the end so don’t give up.

In everyday language we can further adjust the meaning by placing emphasis on some words.

All cops are not bad: strongly suggesting that there is some other group where everyone is bad.

All cops are not bad: Denying that all cops are bad, while simultaneously suggesting that they all might be something else (such as lazy or incompetent for example).

All cops are not bad: Denying that all cops are bad, while simultaneously acknowledging that some of the may be.

All cops are not bad: Strongly denying that all cops are bad (as a counter to the statement that all of them are) without acknowledging that some may be. This is perhaps the usage closest to the programmer’s interpretation of the phrase.

Last edited:
I've never heard of that before.

I have, always* with the meaning “not all x are y”.

I have never* seen the construction “all x are not y” with the meaning that none of the x are y.

(* except in logic statements)

An example:

E5880064-960C-44D6-9906-71B8E31FBDC6.jpeg

The meaning is pretty clear. A machine that only reads in logic would have some issues though.

Last edited:
Back