The Political Satire/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 13,689 comments
899wf9596d631.png

I think it’s more of a joke about an AOC comment.
I think it's much more likely that it's a joke aimed at the response to that comment, specifically that by calling holding facilities at the border concentration camps, she was "minimizing the Holocaust". And, really, that's the joke, which is why I posted a link to the piece from McSweeney's (recognized for its satire rather than hard-hitting journalistic endeavors).

Edit: From the link...

Everyone knows that concentration camps only existed for a finite amount of time (between 1933 and 1945) within clear geographic parameters (Europe NOT America) and also that they only count if they were specifically used for Jews (Japanese internment camps are a whole other thing). Don’t let the “experts” tell you otherwise: Adolf Hitler invented the concentration camp as we know it, and it died with him, never to be seen again.

Edit: Aaaaand I want to apologize to you, @W3HS, because I recognize that my response to you comes off as me lashing out at you, but that's genuinely not the intent. Any lashing out in the above is aimed at the canned outrage employed by the "my opponent has said something that I can represent as hateful" set.

Last edited:
Democrats have a decision to make: Preen in a golden mirror, or rule a polarized nation pragmatically. They can't do both.

Funny enough, I got paid to go to tech school. $1800 a quarter and I don't owe them a dime.

Looks like the whole Tweet to me... Care to post the actual Tweet? I don't have Twitter and can't be bothered to install it.

I mean...I'm a proponent of the GI Bill, insofar as I'm a proponent of the military as it's been implemented since the GI Bill was enacted. If it were possible for the two to be independent of one another, I would favor the former far more...but that's axiomatically not possible.

What's more, I'm not in favor of student loan forgiveness. I'm not in favor of it purely on principle; the fact that I worked on campus and off concurrently to lessen the financial blow while getting my secondary education and continued working after graduation to pay off debts isn't a factor whatsoever.

Having said that, she definitely appears to harbor resentment toward the fact that she had to work for it and there are candidates proposing others not have to, hence the "slap in the face".

I mean...I'm a proponent of the GI Bill, insofar as I'm a proponent of the military as it's been implemented since the GI Bill was enacted. If it were possible for the two to be independent of one another, I would favor the former far more...but that's axiomatically not possible.

What's more, I'm not in favor of student loan forgiveness. I'm not in favor of it purely on principle; the fact that I worked on campus and off concurrently to lessen the financial blow while getting my secondary education and continued working after graduation to pay off debts isn't a factor whatsoever.

Having said that, she definitely appears to harbor resentment toward the fact that she had to work for it and there are candidates proposing others not have to, hence the "slap in the face".

It does at least seem to be injustice to the observer when they see someone get for free what they worked hard for.

It does at least seem to be injustice to the observer when they see someone get for free what they worked hard for.
I don't disagree with that one bit.

I don't disagree with her comments one bit.

The GI Bill hasn't always been in effect, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if service members who finished their term before it harbored resentment toward those who followed them and benefitted from it.

But I really don't think she's just saying that she worked for her education. She is up to the point immediately prior to the hashtag, and then says more than just that.

Nobody holds guns to people’s heads and forces them to join the military. Our armed forces are voluntary. “You might have to kill someone” is nonsense and the majority of armed forces members serve non combat roles. Loan forgiveness? How about I buy something I can’t afford and just expect it to be mine and hope the system changes for my own benefit by voting a certain way? People make decisions for themselves right or wrong. The whole response and mentality was uncalled for and bordering straw man.

Loan forgiveness? How about I buy something I can’t afford and just expect it to be mine and hope the system changes for my own benefit by voting a certain way? People make decisions for themselves right or wrong.
Are you talking about the banks tanking the world economy then demanding bail outs while still paying their execs millions of dollars in salaries? And then never paying back that bailout?

Or a student who just wants to get an education?

Are you talking about the banks tanking the world economy then demanding bail outs while still paying their execs millions of dollars in salaries? And then never paying back that bailout?

Two wrongs don't make a right.

I thought we were talking about a tweet?

Back