The Political Satire/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 13,689 comments
thumb.tm_.jpg

Not sure if this is actually any worse than the original picture from whence it came...

That's a very rare (stopped) clock humour moment during the France's ultimate presidential debate between Le Pen and Macron:

C-7eZ8NW0AAIne_.jpg:large

That's a very rare (stopped) clock humour moment during the France's ultimate presidential debate between Le Pen and Macron:

C-7eZ8NW0AAIne_.jpg:large
I just watched that debate. Vicious. The interpreters could barely keep up. :lol:

When you can't do the Trump's Creepy Stage Walk while you opponent is talking because it's a sitting debate:

Roo

I don't know why we love blaming the victim so much. I don't know why it's socially acceptable to say to the families of dead loved ones (including children) that it's their own fault their loved ones are dead. I think maybe it's a misguided attempt to regaining control in a situation where we have lost control. We can't figure out how to prevent people from blowing themselves up or running people over, so we imagine that it's our own fault so that we can pretend that it can be stopped if we can change our behavior. What gets ignored in that feeble attempt at regaining the pretense of control is the absolutely disgusting message it sends to people who have been profoundly affected by these events.

I have nothing but contempt for this form of self-indulgence.

Last edited:
I don't know why we love blaming the victim so much.
I don't think it's victim blaming as such. Most analysts credit the mishandling of the situation in Iraq for creating the conditions that enabled ISIS to rise up. So the question has to be asked: would ISIS have come about regardless of Western intervention in Iraq, and how can we handle things now so that this isn't a problem in the future?

Don't forget that ISIS started as a splinter group of al'Qaeda because al'Qaeda thought they were too radical and too violent. If we stop ISIS, but don't handle it properly, who will fill the void? Who is too radical and too violent for ISIS? Do we even want to know the answer to that?

I don't think it's victim blaming as such. Most analysts credit the mishandling of the situation in Iraq for creating the conditions that enabled ISIS to rise up. So the question has to be asked: would ISIS have come about regardless of Western intervention in Iraq, and how can we handle things now so that this isn't a problem in the future?

Don't forget that ISIS started as a splinter group of al'Qaeda because al'Qaeda thought they were too radical and too violent. If we stop ISIS, but don't handle it properly, who will fill the void? Who is too radical and too violent for ISIS? Do we even want to know the answer to that?

There's no "mishandling" of the situation in Iraq if thousands of years ago a butterfly flapped its wings in the middle east. That butterfly created the conditions that enabled ISIS to rise up. It's blaming the victim.

I wasn't aware that Iraq was invaded by the seven people who died on the weekend, and only by those seven people. I challenge you to prove that those seven people still would have died if Britain hadn't gotten involved in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in the first place.

Back