The Six Mainline Gran Turismo Games, Ranked Worst to Best

"GT3 is the series' Empire Strikes Back; its Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy."

What, no love for Master of Puppets? Mass Effect 2? :P

Nice to see my favorite game ranked first. GT3 was a huge leap for the series in all aspects, especially graphic-wise. Comparing the progress PD made between GT2 and GT3 is mind blowing. .
It still looks great today tbh, currently replaying it on PC and i cannot believe this game is 16 years old, at 60fps too!

gt1lgjpw.jpg

gt24ejan.jpg

gtlhjhh.jpg

In my opinion one of the mistakes of GT6 was not to include all the new or recents tracks into the career mode. Racing was always at the same few tracks.

Even none at Indy Road track if I'm not wrong.

Also I expected a harder AI or at least a harder AI level to be added. I missed the same model arcade race wich was at GT5 and pulled off at GT6. Great potential in GT6 a little missed...

In the other side the circuit de la Sierra was a very nice surprise, challeging and very funny.

For me, the best GT, or at least the more impresive, was GT5 Prologue, together with my first FullHD TV and my new G25 wheel... It was an explosion of senses in every way and great great memories lapping all the cars to get a high ranking online in every track.

My rankings based purely on the driving/handling physics:

GT4
GT6
GT3
GT2/GT1 (essentially the same)
GT5 (the worst handling, least fun game to drive in the series)

I still own all of the titles and just recently drove/tuned a Miata across all titles.

+1 Not just for the physics but also for the sheer amount of fun Ive had with the titles.

Physics wise I like what they did with GT6, definitely a step in the right direction.

GT5.

With the single-use paint-chip system that meant you had to buy a car every time you wanted to use that colour on another car.
With the trading system that was immediately nerfed and rendered useless because people were gifting the black X1 Prototype from 100% completion.
With microtransactions, buying in-game credits for real money.
With the infinitely long used car database that could leave you searching for that Formula GT for 20,000 years and never actually find it.
With the XP system that made you drive one 24 hour race eight times before you could drive the other one.
With the trophies you can no longer get because online functionality was removed.
With the XP system that prevented you from buying a car you could afford, because you weren't a high enough level, so when the Formula GT did turn up you couldn't have it and store it for when you needed it.

GT5 needed to sit in the corner and think about what it had done.

Last edited:
I felt that in a vacuum, GT6 was better over GT5. Better suspension model, more racecars, better tracks, etc. Perhaps the main thing I felt it was missing was proper endurance races, it was quite the let down to discover there would never be anything better, within career mode, than 24 minute races.

I can never get over how often both GT5 and GT6 would crash, never have I played any other games that came close to crashing nearly as much.

Back to how I felt GT6 was great in a vacuum; outside of that vacuum was Assetto Corsa and the impossible-to-play-on-controller Project Cars. While I easily put over 100hrs in to Assetto Corsa, I hardly put more than 10hrs in to Project Cars....yet I probably still got more enjoyment out of Project Cars than the majority of the 120hrs+ I put in to GT6. I didn't get in to AC and PC until late in to the game, but once I did, my PS3 started getting quite dusty.

I suppose with the bad aftertaste GT6 left in my mouth, it could be ranked last. I know with high certainty I won't be springing for GT Sport, or even a PS4 any time soon. I may very well never buy another GT game again if gameplay remains similar. It's an unfortunate reality, considering I got so much out of it in the beginning. But between finding much better games that simulate on another level, and experiencing multiple trackdays in my little 1.6 Miata, I found the GT games to be lacking in what I needed out of my racing games.

Still, I tend to only pop in GT5 for the F1 cars, or some of the tracks. I still tend to prefer GT6 over GT5, but I can sort of understand the final decision to make it last.

I was surprised GT3 ranked so highly, it seemed like GT4 was the clear winner. I only got to experience GT3 when I was very young, and even had a wheel for a short while. I enjoyed faux-go-karts, and definitely determined I already loved cars. But for some reason, the realistic and unforgiving gameplay, at a time I was still 10 or so years before even getting my license to drive, was too much. So I didn't play GT3 for long. But looking back on it, it seemed like it was missing a lot. I can't say much though, I never did buy GT4. But all the videos and reviews I watched made me think I would've loved it over GT3.
GT6 has crashed for me on a couple of occasions, but not a lot. GT5 has never crashed once for me.

For me :

1. Gran Turismo 6 with all updates.
  2. Gran Turismo 4
  3. Gran Turismo 2
  4. Gran Turismo 3
  5. Gran Turismo 1
  6. Gran Turismo 5

1. GT2
2. GT3
3. GT4
4. GT6
5. GT5
6. GT1
Based on how much I played them, and how they made me feel when I did.

GT5.

With the single-use paint-chip system that meant you had to buy a car every time you wanted to use that colour on another car.
With the trading system that was immediately nerfed and rendered useless because people were gifting the black X1 Prototype from 100% completion.
With the infinitely long used car database that could leave you searching for that Formula GT for 20,000 years and never actually find it.
With the XP system that made you drive one 24 hour race eight times before you could drive the other one.
With the trophies you can no longer get because online functionality was removed.
With the XP system that prevented you from buying a car you could afford, because you weren't a high enough level, so when the Formula GT did turn up you couldn't have it and store it for when you needed it.

Fake News. Sad.

This is actually nice, i have always thought about how i would rank them.

GT2 - It had everything i could ever wanted at that time, i spent more hours than i should on this game. It was pretty much my life during summer and winter breaks.

GT4 - Tough to put this one in second because it was so good! This is the game that made me a regular at GTP, long and frantic WRS battles with a lot of cool guys. This is the game that made me buy a gameshark so that i could send replays of hotlaps to make sure they were clean.

GT1 - I remember playing this at a game rental place and i will never forget the feeling that it was something completely different from everything i had tried until then. Finally i could ditch the horrible F1 games on the Sega Saturn!

GT5 - It had many stupid flaws and bugs, but online on leagues was major fun. It had GT Academy, which i´ve played to death. Only game i´ve ever gotten a platinum trophy.

GT3 - I don´t get the nostalgia. It was pretty, but it seemed like everything that was on GT2 was cut or toned down in this one. I did not had a PS2 when it came out, ended up playing just a little compared to the others.

GT6 - By far in this place. To me it is still a joke that this game came out for the PS3 in December of 2013. I had just purchased the PS4, and the game was just GT5 bug free, but with new bugs introduced. I barely played online, ended up playing the PS4 and PC sims.

The sad thing about this is that to me it looks like they are on a downward spiral. I have very little hype for GTSport, it´s like it´s out there but we have so many games doing Gran Turismo that right now there´s only a few things that only Gran Turismo does, and unfortunately most of them are just not for me, like photomode.

We´ve had a good run up until GT4, then GT5 was the most hyped and expected game of all time for me, and then after that i kind of take it for what it is and started looking for the things i used to put on a wishlist in other games.

I agree with GT3 being top, I loved that game and played it way more than I played the any of the other main titles. Even though it was light on content it really was ground breaking for it's day and for 2001 it was hand's down the best looking thing on PS2.

I was pretty disappointed with GT5, the formula was stale by then and nothing revolutionary had been brought to the series. After that I didn't by GT6.

Gran Turismo 3, by far my favourite. Nothing overly complicated, just pick a car and race. And that soundtrack!
GT5.

I don't ever remember GT5 having microtransactions?

Here's my thoughts on the 6 main entries, from worst to best:

6. GT6. This is the only game in the series I have never played once. And for good reason too. Many people complain about the car duplicates and standard car models, something that has haunted the PS3 era GT games from the beginning. They took many good features away too, like endurance racing and a favorite of mine, the Used Car Dealership! And for other features, like the Course Maker, they promised us for over a year to deliver it, only dumbing it down in the process.

5. GT5. The game that started the PS3 era. It at least felt more like GT4, with a better career mode, better license tests, and the Used Car Dealer still remained! If there would be a place to buy Standard car models, let it be there!

4. GT1. The game which started it all. This one has the least cars, with mostly Japanese sports cars, but let's consider that this game was originally only meant for Japan. It also featured one of the most diverse lineups of licensed cars in a racing game at the time. The career mode was short, but fun to play through. The license tests were a unique feature for the time as well, which is why I liked those.

3. GT3. The first game of the PS2 era. One of the first racing games released after my birth (Japanese release was about 3 weeks after I was born), and the first GT game I ever played. It only featured about 150+ cars compared to GT2's 600+, but this was released early in the PS2's lifecycle. The graphics were amazing for the time, one of the best looking games period back then, which somewhat helped it become the best-seller in the series, and one of the most revolutionary games of the time.

2. GT4. The GT2 of the PS2 era. GT4 massively extended GT3's car list, in the end ending up with over 700+ cars. The track list was exceptional too, with many new courses in the city, snow, and even the Grand Canyon! I liked the many new features too, the photo mode was basically the best of its time (I think it was because it was the only photo mode at the time), and the driving missions were addictive too.

1. GT2. While GT4 amazed with the many new features, GT2 amazed with how exceptional it was for its time. 600+ licensed cars, a feat just recently overtaken by Forza by FM7. A fun rally mode, lots more endurance races, memorable cars, memorable tracks... I could go on and on...

Gran Turismo 3, by far my favourite. Nothing overly complicated, just pick a car and race. And that soundtrack!

I don't ever remember GT5 having microtransactions?
The Touring Cars, 15 of them if I remember correct, had to be bought. I had them, so it couldn't have been too much money, I don't usually buy DLC.

Edit: I think you had to pay for a couple tracks too. Motegi, and the big ass oval?

Edit 2 : http://www.gran-turismo.com/us/products/gt5/dlc/

In my opinion i would go with

1, Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
2, Gran Turismo 5
3, Gran Turismo 4
4, Gran Turismo 2
5, Gran Turismo
6, Gran Turismo 6

I've chosen '5' to be second best because of the amount of memories i had on there. Such as:
  • Everybody buzzed over the X1 cars, when i got one it felt special
  • Rare cars in the Used Dealership
  • Fun to grind on seasonal events
  • Had decent music
  • The Top Gear online lobbies (who didnt love them?!)
  • OCD (Online Collectors dealership)
  • GT Academy 2012
  • Chrome Line & Stealth Cars
  • Getting tickets (was fun because you never knew what you'd get)
  • Few very tough events (S. Vettel event)
  • The Atmosphere (events)
  • 2000 car garage limit (Unlike GT6)
It was far from perfect, because of how slow it was at times & PS2 ports, but that GT title brought me some amazing memories.

Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me. Everyone tends to agree that GT5 and 6 are not very good at all. Yet, here I am, thinking they're great games. There hasn't been a single GT that I don't like, they're just all great in my eyes.

GT2 is the only one I haven't played in the series. Both PS2-era games are my favorites, completed GT3 and GT4 100%. But I just can't explain why I prefer GT3 over GT4. Objectively speaking, GT4 has more cars and tracks, a more comprehensive career mode and more features. And I played it before GT3, so I really don't know why I like GT3 better. Maybe it's because of Special Stage Route 11...

Sometimes I think there's something wrong with me. Everyone tends to agree that GT5 and 6 are not very good at all

I don't think it's that they're "not good games", as to me they are good games in their own right. It's that they were not as good or as special as their predecessors, given that the bar was set so high with success and brilliance of GT's 1-4.

Although, it would seem I'm one of the relative few who preferred GT5 over 6, and actually think 5 was a good GT game, not the best, but not terrible either. Since I thoroughly enjoyed it, but at the end of the day, it differs from person-to-person.

In my opinion i would go with

1, Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec
2, Gran Turismo 5
3, Gran Turismo 4
4, Gran Turismo 2
5, Gran Turismo
6, Gran Turismo 6

I've chosen '5' to be second best because of the amount of memories i had on there. Such as:
  • Everybody buzzed over the X1 cars, when i got one it felt special
  • Rare cars in the Used Dealership
  • Fun to grind on seasonal events
  • Had decent music
  • The Top Gear online lobbies (who didnt love them?!)
  • OCD (Online Collectors dealership)
  • GT Academy 2012
  • Chrome Line & Stealth Cars
  • Getting tickets (was fun because you never knew what you'd get)
  • Few very tough events (S. Vettel event)
  • The Atmosphere (events)
  • 2000 car garage limit (Unlike GT6)
It was far from perfect, because of how slow it was at times & PS2 ports, but that GT title brought me some amazing memories.

Did you just rate Gran Turismo 5 higher than 2?

yRo0u4u.png

6. GT4
- I didn't play it much.

5. GT5

- Oooh, shiny GT4 with more stuff! Just kidding, this game was good for 2010, but for me it died away because of some of its problems. I liked GT5P, though.

4. GT6
- Yeah, yeah, you're better than GT5 but after all this time, you could have been better than a computer operating system. Ok, seriously the menus were gross, but the gameplay was better and it just felt like this GT was all there compared to the previous one.

3. GT2
- Oh childhood, you were so good to me. This was my first one. As a kid I just loved to pop my arcade disk in and drive laps around Seattle Short in a Honda S2000. Good god, you were so much fun. Nowadays I see the reason why GT2 was one of a kind in its day. I had 600+ vehicles and tons of things to do. It cared about the person playing it.

2. GT1
- I really like the arcade feeling of this game. It started everything.

1. GT3
- With a top speed of 2,147,483,647 mph, you'll need new pants for this one. Seriously, I love you.

Latest Posts

Back