The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
News! ("Tree'd", but still: )

Your patience is finally rewarded! Full pictures of the New Thrustmaster Wheel! As some of you have guessed, it is a new add-on: The Ferrari GTE Wheel Add-On Ferrari 458 Challenge Edition, for the base of the T500RS and the Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500: It will be available in May at the suggested retail price 99.99 € / $129.99 More info here: http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/&...2;/first-replica-ferrari-gt-wheel-gaming-fans — Ferrari GTE Wheel Add-On Ferrari 458 Challenge Edition.

945770_612971062063966_421538482_n.jpg

302740_612971052063967_544074384_n.jpg

942612_612971058730633_314895769_n.jpg

941659_612971092063963_1964765334_n.jpg

Love it! Still, I'm betting Thrustmaster has SOMETHING ELSE in the works, because that base is NOT a stock T500RS base . . . definitely missing the fixed paddle shifters.

So, I wonder when we learn what ELSE they have up their sleeve(s)?

Call me crazy but I actually like the limited number of buttons and the placement. I have a hard time remembering what I have configured when I'm in the middle of a race. This puts them in "quadrants" which should be easier for my brain to keep "stored." :)

I'm not going to tell you what I REALLY like about it yet though... ;)

Love it! Still, I'm betting Thrustmaster has SOMETHING ELSE in the works, because that base is NOT a stock T500RS base . . . definitely missing the fixed paddle shifters.

Aren't the fixed paddles held by a few screws and easily removable?

looks very nice, but they should sell it as a full wheel and not just addon...

My bet is that their new base package will include this rim, with a re-designed wheel base. I like the modular concept, however, in which every current T500 owner has the option of upgrading to this rim.

Hello fellow thrustmaster users.
I have the wheel since march 2, 2011. I've used it quite a bit. Warranty is now expired and unfortunately my pedals are acting up. My brake pedal activates when I'm not pressing on it. My accelerator pedal also began to mal function. I press it fully and it oscilates. Any sugestions? Any info is greatly apreciated. Thanks in advance

Hmm, according to Shaun and Darrin's review, it's the same old base complete with fixed paddles. Maybe Thrustmaster removed 'em just for the product shot.

Hmm, according to Shaun and Darrin's review, it's the same old base complete with fixed paddles. Maybe Thrustmaster removed 'em just for the product shot.

Its clearly a modular design. My speculation, consistent with John's, is that Thrustmaster is going to release an updated base, with this GT rim with it as well. So, current customers are not left out in the cold, and new customers can get the newest base with the newest GT rim.

Its clearly a modular design. My speculation, consistent with John's, is that Thrustmaster is going to release an updated base, with this GT rim with it as well. So, current customers are not left out in the cold, and new customers can get the newest base with the newest GT rim.

If I had to buy the base again, I'd rather buy the original T500 base with the GT rim and fixed pedals first.
The reason is that you can easily remove the pedals, but you can not buy them later on.
The same for the GT rim. It is out there, but the add-on rims are much easier to get. Plus the GT version is cheaper than the integral version for some reason.

$129.99 works for me.

Me too. :)

Although having said that , I would have paid a little more for a larger rim , say 13" for $150.

Not sure if I'd upgrade to this wheel though. Fixed paddles don't bother me and I think I'd rather put the money towards a Momo and adapters to suit the TM base.

I don't know. My T500 is our if warranty, spending $130 on a new wheel for it and I'd the base crapped out, I'd be pretty pissed.

I would find a price like 150 DKK to be right (~$25 USD) :lol:.

Not because it's bad, but it's just pricy (I think).

The first official images of the T500 F1 wheel were also missing the fixed paddles, so it's probably a similar story here.

Thrustmaster-Ferrari-F1-Wheel-Integral-T500-1.jpg

Interesting though unfortunately it's been up on a few retailer sites since the second week of April without much for details. It should be interesting to see what they do, once the pictures come out. Based on the specs it seems to be the entire pedal set and not just a mod.

Interesting though unfortunately it's been up on a few retailer sites since the second week of April without much for details. It should be interesting to see what they do, once the pictures come out. Based on the specs it seems to be the entire pedal set and not just a mod.

Indeed. 17.92 kilograms is a bit heavy for just a mod. In fact it is even heavy for a set of pedals if you ask me. :S

Lot of TM rumors and info flying around all of a sudden... new rim, T100RS and now some kind of official load cell mod?? I am actually dying to see what comes next!

Lot of TM rumors and info flying around all of a sudden... new rim, T100RS and now some kind of official load cell mod?? I am actually dying to see what comes next!

A handbrake and maybe a hydraulic pedal set? :P

They actually made the wheel smaller than the GT rim and same damn rubber coating? Guess Fanatec is the only ones who know how to make quality wheels.

They actually made the wheel smaller than the GT rim and same damn rubber coating? Guess Fanatec is the only ones who know how to make quality wheels.

I am sure the guys at Frex and ECCI know how to as well. Though granted, they are a price class above Fanatec and TM.

The original rim indeed had Alcantara (or at least Suede) on it, plus included two extra horn buttons.
Knowing that TM used a microcontroller in the F1 rim, I am surprised they did not include those two buttons. Plus a position switch (bottom right) that flips back to the "1" position.
Also a 320mm version would have been nicer, as then the static paddles wouldn't be so much in the way of the moving paddles on the wheel.

So yeah, I would have liked to see differently as well. Still, it is a nice wheel and I would like to see some more impressions of it once some guys here get it.
Personally I am afraid that, and I already had this feeling watching Sean and Darin hold it. I am afraid that the smaller than GT rim size would make me feel I am using a toy again, like I had using the G25 and wheels prior to that.
Besides, we all as sim racers strive to get the most realistic experience. Which does include real life size rims of high quality. So indeed the question that has been bugging me as well is indeed "Thrustmaster, why did you make the decisions to go with what you presented instead of a proper replica?".

Back