The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments

Here is a short video of how to fix your spiking pedals.

Good video showing the process of taking these apart. :)

2 things:

1. Be sure when reattaching the pots that you do not tighten down the nut on the pot too much. If you go too tight, it will actually pull the pot apart! It breaks the pot casing and it's not fixable, at least not easily. (trust me on this)

2. The pots are either 50 or 60 degree effective pots meaning, even though they rotate a full 270 degrees or something, only 50 or 60 degrees of rotation has electrical output. I have looked high and low for replacement pots and have come up short. NORMAL POTS WILL NOT WORK, even though they fit. The closest I have found are these: http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/4QD-POT-050.html I do not know if they fit or work as I have not had a chance to order and try them.

Anyhow, nice work :D

I'm wondering if I can get some advice here. I have a Thrustmaster 500 F1 wheel and just got GT6. The game immediately found the wheel and worked perfectly for two days. Then all of the sudden my down shift paddle became upshift and the upshift paddle does nothing? I restarted the game and removed the disc a few times with no improvement. Then I checked the options men under steering to see if button assignments had changed and everything seems perfect, So I started to think my wheel had an issue so I popped in F1 2012 and the wheel works perfectly. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

@ soap_hand

I think the firmware and drivers are one in the same for PC and PS3. Last time I did the PC upgrade for my T500 from the Thrustmaster website, I also checked for upgrades for the Playstation there. They led to the same firmware and drivers I had just updated to. However, I'm a PC sim racer and I've never had my T500 plugged into a PS3, so I don't have any first hand experience with the T500 for PS3.

The drivers and firmware are different things. The firmware is stored inside the wheel in its flash memory, this is completely independent of the platform you race on. The drivers are more complicated. Drivers on the PS3 are obviously different, since it's a proprietary platform and those are provided by SONY. You don't have a choice to install, upgrade or uninstall them. That is SONY's call. Drivers on your PC, you may install, remove, update, et. al. The drivers on your PC are NOT the same as those on the PS3.

fellas, I need you advice once more. i found a T500RS for sale in my local store, but I need to know three things:

1- What version is the one with less issues? I've heard of wrong belts, broken fan and a whole number of issues. Is there any version that kinda hit the sweetspot?

2- I assume this wheel has been sitting there for a long time. Is it advisable to purchase a wheel that has been there probably for more than a year?

3- Is there any way to check the version without opening the box?

Cheers!

1 - Not really.

2 - Sure, there might be a flat spot on the belt, but you can play it out.

3 - I would't worry so much about the version, that was alot of hype about nothing. Except a change in pedal springs I don't think anyone ever figured out one real difference.

I read somewhere that there's a version with a larger, quieter fan, is that true? About the pedals, did no one figure out why was it changed or if the new design introduces any benefits (i.e. both pedals have the same performance)?

Thanks bud

I think the idea is the compression springs were more durable, but other than a couple cases I never heard of that many failures with the originals. Besides, if this thing is still on the shelf now, it probably has the newer one. On mine, I honestly have never bothered to look.

The new fan thing refers to possible changes in the new Blue Box GT6 branded T500's AFAIK, although again, I always feel like the fan complaints are a little exaggerated. I know a faulty fan can be loud, but mine, while audible, isn't too loud, and I'd rather hear a fan than overheat my wheel. People are already posting about the TX fans, so I don't suppose any new ones are THAT quiet.

The thing is, this wheel seems quite old. I live in a relatively small town in Brazil, that doesn't really have a SimRacing scene, so I believe this might the one novelty unit the store ordered from stock just to see if anyone would buy it. They also have 3 Integral T500s, which makes me think someone buys these wheels, as they have only one T500RS. I'll pop over and I'll see if I have any sort of return period.

Thanks again man.

The thing is, this wheel seems quite old. I live in a relatively small town in Brazil, that doesn't really have a SimRacing scene, so I believe this might the one novelty unit the store ordered from stock just to see if anyone would buy it. They also have 3 Integral T500s, which makes me think someone buys these wheels, as they have only one T500RS. I'll pop over and I'll see if I have any sort of return period.

Thanks again man.

The older version all had V#'s on their stickers (bottom of pedals, etc). So you could tell what version they are. I think they even printed in on the box... although they didn't always match with the stickers on the parts inside.

Comparing my V2 pedals VS the GT5 branded pedals I picked up last week (the latest revision), there's no difference in the gas/clutch from a feel POV. Maybe better durability with the latest, but not feel.

They've changed the direction of the fan with the latest, but I don't think it's an upgrade in quality of fan. If it's an issue, you can easily replace the fan with something of higher quality.

The brake spring may have been worse, but if you do the bushing/basher mod with your brake pedal, there's no difference anyways.

I think the idea is the compression springs were more durable, but other than a couple cases I never heard of that many failures with the originals. Besides, if this thing is still on the shelf now, it probably has the newer one. On mine, I honestly have never bothered to look.

The new fan thing refers to possible changes in the new Blue Box GT6 branded T500's AFAIK, although again, I always feel like the fan complaints are a little exaggerated. I know a faulty fan can be loud, but mine, while audible, isn't too loud, and I'd rather hear a fan than overheat my wheel. People are already posting about the TX fans, so I don't suppose any new ones are THAT quiet.

My issue with the fan was that it was just worthless garbage. The plastic over the heatsink would still be warm an hour after I stopped playing (and just let the fan run forever). It wasn't doing anything. That's why I gutted mine out. So it'd be cooler. Which was important because if things got too warm, my wheel would freeze up from the circuit board getting too hot. May be an issue for him in Brazil. Putting quality fans in it stopped my wheel from ever freezing again and also stopped FFB degradation from happening as the wheel warmed.

Have you tried upgrading to the latest firmware?
Well it is definitely not the wheel; my I plugged in my DFGT and it is operating exactly the same. Downshift paddle becomes upshift and upshift paddle does nothing only in GT6 on PS3. I tried assigning the upshift and downshift to buttons and then it didn't shift at all.
When I installed the game it download all updates and worked perfectly for two days. I'm not sure what else to do except auto shift ,and if that's the case I won't be playing GT6 all all. :(

Does anyone know if the T500RS is compatible with F1CE on PS3? I know the compatibility is a bit wonky on PS3 so it'd be nice to know from someone who has the wheel.

Well it is definitely not the wheel; my I plugged in my DFGT and it is operating exactly the same. Downshift paddle becomes upshift and upshift paddle does nothing only in GT6 on PS3. I tried assigning the upshift and downshift to buttons and then it didn't shift at all.
When I installed the game it download all updates and worked perfectly for two days. I'm not sure what else to do except auto shift ,and if that's the case I won't be playing GT6 all all. :(
Have you tried reverting back to initial version of the game (1.01)? Might be worth a shot if all else fails...

Does anyone know if the T500RS is compatible with F1CE on PS3? I know the compatibility is a bit wonky on PS3 so it'd be nice to know from someone who has the wheel.
I don't think it is, sadly. It would emulate the DS3 I expect, though.

Wow, that is strange...

My advice would be to delete all patch data and download it again. I think it might fix the problem. Go into the game section of the XMB and then click on "Game Data". Delete the GT6 entry. Do NOT delete your save data, though! Might want to back it up first in case you accidentally screw something up.

Wow, that is strange...

My advice would be to delete all patch data and download it again. I think it might fix the problem. Go into the game section of the XMB and then click on "Game Data". Delete the GT6 entry. Do NOT delete your save data, though! Might want to back it up first in case you accidentally screw something up.

will do maybe tomorrow if i get time. thx

The older version all had V#'s on their stickers (bottom of pedals, etc). So you could tell what version they are. I think they even printed in on the box... although they didn't always match with the stickers on the parts inside.

Comparing my V2 pedals VS the GT5 branded pedals I picked up last week (the latest revision), there's no difference in the gas/clutch from a feel POV. Maybe better durability with the latest, but not feel.

They've changed the direction of the fan with the latest, but I don't think it's an upgrade in quality of fan. If it's an issue, you can easily replace the fan with something of higher quality.

The brake spring may have been worse, but if you do the bushing/basher mod with your brake pedal, there's no difference anyways.

My issue with the fan was that it was just worthless garbage. The plastic over the heatsink would still be warm an hour after I stopped playing (and just let the fan run forever). It wasn't doing anything. That's why I gutted mine out. So it'd be cooler. Which was important because if things got too warm, my wheel would freeze up from the circuit board getting too hot. May be an issue for him in Brazil. Putting quality fans in it stopped my wheel from ever freezing again and also stopped FFB degradation from happening as the wheel warmed.

So you picked up a GT5 branded pedal set (or maybe GT6 and that 5 was a typo :D) and it feels the same.. That makes it more interesting to me. And I'll DEFINITELY do the basher mod, as I read people saying it was the best $10 they've ever spent. I have a Fanatec set with CSPv1, and I can't seem to be able to use load cell brakes, but I'd hate not to have the progression provided by a load cell, rubber or whatever.

About the replacement fan, is it a regular CPU fan? Does it sit perfectly where the original fan was, or was some modding required? I can procure parts outside of Brazil, the issue would be importing something as big as the T500 itself. Heck, I know a lot of people that commute from the US to Brazil and back on a monthly basis, so even if I need something urgent, it'd probably be just a few days away. I just want to know how did you fix yours. The unit for sale here will NOT be one of the new ones (it's still got GT5 branding, I don't know if there is any boxing other than GT5 and GT6 though) with the fan on the side, so I'll try to be preemptive and swap the fan out right after getting the wheel. I also found my cockpit, what do you guys think?

http://www.g27.com.br/produto/cockpit-xt-premium

Maybe some of the brazilians in here have any experience with this rig, it'd be nice to read from an owner.

Cheers!

So you picked up a GT5 branded pedal set (or maybe GT6 and that 5 was a typo :D) and it feels the same.. That makes it more interesting to me. And I'll DEFINITELY do the basher mod, as I read people saying it was the best $10 they've ever spent. I have a Fanatec set with CSPv1, and I can't seem to be able to use load cell brakes, but I'd hate not to have the progression provided by a load cell, rubber or whatever.

About the replacement fan, is it a regular CPU fan? Does it sit perfectly where the original fan was, or was some modding required? I can procure parts outside of Brazil, the issue would be importing something as big as the T500 itself. Heck, I know a lot of people that commute from the US to Brazil and back on a monthly basis, so even if I need something urgent, it'd probably be just a few days away. I just want to know how did you fix yours. The unit for sale here will NOT be one of the new ones (it's still got GT5 branding, I don't know if there is any boxing other than GT5 and GT6 though) with the fan on the side, so I'll try to be preemptive and swap the fan out right after getting the wheel. I also found my cockpit, what do you guys think?

http://www.g27.com.br/produto/cockpit-xt-premium

Maybe some of the brazilians in here have any experience with this rig, it'd be nice to read from an owner.

Cheers!

No typo. I picked up the GT5 for 149.99 from the Microcenter deal the other week:) That's a much newer revision than my V2, however. If you're saying the boxing is branded GT5 (instead of just the wheel hub) and the fan is blowing sideways, that's definitely the latest revision.

I haven't taken this latest GT5 wheel apart, so I'm not sure what the mounting bracket looks like. Here's what I originally used on my V2:

http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=2&cid=5&id=75&tab=2

Should be noted, that it was a little too thick to fit in the old top mounting bracket on my T500 V2. But with some heavy strength two-sided tape, I was able to have it mounted so it blew across the heatsink (like the latest revisions). I then jerry rigged another one to blow onto the circuit board. These fans did require a pin converter to connect to the circuit board. Never took pictures of this setup though.

Depending on what the mounting bracket is like, it may or may not be an easy switch. If it's too big for the bracket, you can certainly mount it with good tape (mine was like that for a good 6 months and would have stayed there forever had I not pulled it off). These fans were much better IMO. Not only did they move more air, but they weren't noisy junk.

So why did I pull them off? Cause I'm crazy. I decided to go bigger is better. I dremeled a big hole into the top of my case and then mounted a 120mm case fan. Thing is crazy cool (in terms of heat). I like to think it looks turbo charged. You could either connect this directly to the wheel, or attach a wall wart to the fan (so it can operate independently of the wheel power).

This is how I now roll (old pictures, so some things have changed since):

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/the-thrustmaster-t500rs-thread.135961/page-260#post-8739434

wow, those mods of yours look pretty cool... your big fan + grill look awesome! however, as I plan on getting extended warranty on my wheel, will not be able to dremel or cut anything, so I'd need to keep my mods as stock as possible. And the box itself is GT5 branded, but the part where it shows the pedals doesn't have a GT5 logo, is that what you meant? I am almost 100% sure it is not the latest revision, but I'm hoping for V4 or V5 at least.. On monday I'll call an internet distributor to ask what is their version, and I'll decide then.

Thanks!

wow, those mods of yours look pretty cool... your big fan + grill look awesome! however, as I plan on getting extended warranty on my wheel, will not be able to dremel or cut anything, so I'd need to keep my mods as stock as possible. And the box itself is GT5 branded, but the part where it shows the pedals doesn't have a GT5 logo, is that what you meant? I am almost 100% sure it is not the latest revision, but I'm hoping for V4 or V5 at least.. On monday I'll call an internet distributor to ask what is their version, and I'll decide then.

Thanks!

I just meant the little GT logo on the center of the wheel. All versions, even V1, have that.

If the box is branded GT5, you don't see any version numbers on the wheel or pedal stickers, and the fan is blowing sideways, you can assume it's the latest version.

will do maybe tomorrow if i get time. thx

Thanks for the help that fixed it! Since you fixed that for me my wheel has one other weird thing it does that maybe you can help with. When I go to the in game keyboard (on any game)to type it flickers back and forth quickly between caps and small letters like a stuck key on a pc keyboard. Any ideas?

Back