The Thrustmaster T500RS Thread

• Thread starter TomN
  • 9,924 comments
Just realized I'm not on the latest firmware. I recall some discussion about V41 dampening the feedback in GT5, but not sure that applies to GT6 (and not sure it was true in the first place). Any reason to (or not to) upgrade from V40 to V41 if I don't have the Ferrari 458 wheel? Currently, only using the wheel with a PS3 and GT6 and Ferrari F1 wheel.

Just realized I'm not on the latest firmware. I recall some discussion about V41 dampening the feedback in GT5, but not sure that applies to GT6 (and not sure it was true in the first place). Any reason to (or not to) upgrade from V40 to V41 if I don't have the Ferrari 458 wheel? Currently, only using the wheel with a PS3 and GT6 and Ferrari F1 wheel.
not sure if there's any noticeable difference between firmwares...I always update mine since it only takes minutes to do and I have the gte add-on. If your wheel is running fine w/o issues I guess you're fine.
But I can say that the wheel feels great in gt6 with the latest firmware...I have turned down my ffb from 5 to 3-4 because it's too strong for my liking on most mr/fr/race cars.
Are you still able to change the degree of rotation on the fly? Do you feel the kerbs well?

not sure if there's any noticeable difference between firmwares...I always update mine since it only takes minutes to do and I have the gte add-on. If your wheel is running fine w/o issues I guess you're fine.
But I can say that the wheel feels great in gt6 with the latest firmware...I have turned down my ffb from 5 to 3-4 because it's too strong for my liking on most mr/fr/race cars.
Are you still able to change the degree of rotation on the fly? Do you feel the kerbs well?

Yah, the feedback and "feel" seem fine... but of course, you don't know what you are missing until you try it. I generally upgrade to the latest at the first opportunity, but in this case I read some comments about the update "deadening" the feedback in GT5 so I just stuck with V40 which seems to be fine. I'll probably just stick with V40 for now unless there is a compelling reason to switch.

PS> I've never tried to adjust the degrees of rotation.

http://ts.thrustmaster.com/download/accessories/Manuals/T500RS/T500RS_Pedal_calibration.pdf

[ENGLISH] Important notes regarding PEDAL CALIBRATION AND PRECISION:

1) Confirm that your racing wheel features the latest available firmware release.
2) Always connect the pedal set to the racing wheel before connecting the racing wheel to your PlayStation®3 system or PC.
3) Never depress the pedals during the racing wheel’s auto-calibration phase! You should only depress the pedals when the racing wheel’s calibration process is complete and the wheel has returned to the centre position (otherwise, please exit the game, then disconnect and reconnect the racing wheel from your PlayStation®3 system or PC’s USB connector)
4) Once the racing wheel’s auto-calibration phase is complete (and only then), pedal calibration will occur automatically after a few presses
5) Brake pedal with the "Realistic Brake" mod: if you have trouble reaching the maximum calibration values for the brake pedal: briefly stand on the pedal to reach the maximum values, then release the pedal.

[Edit] First time i installed RBM in 14kg, i had to press it very hard to calibrate correct, resently changed it to 16kg position and actually had to stand briefly on the pedal: it callibrated before i was standing on it with full body weight. This has only been needed for first time calibration after RBM install, afterwards it will do it normally.

Thank you for this, i have gone through and tried these things. but I am still only geting about 1/4 braking force again.
I have been trying to contact Thrustmaster, but no one answers the phones or returns emails.

Don't know where you are located...
...never had an issue getting a hold of them at their North American tech support number:
866-889-5036

emails can take a couple of days.

@kmag - I'd make sure I have the latest firmware first. Also try swapping usb connections to the ps3, goodluck.

nice avatar jogo :D

Im assuming I do the firmware upgrade through a computer, and im guessing its not Mac compatible?

Thanks for the advice, its appreciated

Don't know where you are located...
...never had an issue getting a hold of them at their North American tech support number:
866-889-5036

emails can take a couple of days.

Im in Canada, i tried the Canadian office, Ill give that Num a try

Thanks JogoAsobi

Decided to purchase a new T500 as my current V1 got hot recently and lost some feedback power. Once cooled it came back. As well I've had to replace multiple torsion springs in the gas and clutch.

So with the cooling and spring issue resolved, my current wheel getting some age. Venture to guess 200k miles or more of use. I decided it was time for new. Put the old on the shelf as a back up. This way I sure to not miss any big events. ;)

Come from amazon and is indeed the latest GT6 version.

image.jpg

OwensRacing (Edited)

Can you post photos of the physical changes, on the new wheel & pedal set, as I am likely looking to upgrade my worn out V1?? A small review comparing old versus new, would be appreciated too.

Thanks 👍

Last edited:
Rotated. :D

Thanks for posting this. :)

Please post if you find any changes.

View attachment 114559

Strange you say that. Another had mentioned my pics being clocked on another thread. However their taken clocked right and the post on my end is correct. As well yours is too.

Posting from iPhone 5 has to part of this phenomenon. ;)

Screen shot attached for deterity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 14
Nice Owens!
Do they still double box it like before?
Edit: your pic looks fine on my ipad but upside down on my android phone lol

On a side note, I'm happy to report that my v4 still has zero issues after 2+ years now. I don't think I have more than 200k miles on it though.

Jogo- yup, the Bathurst one :)

Last edited:
More trouble,
after trying to do a firmware upgrade on the t500rs it will no longer show up as a USB device on the computer, and the red light that used to be on "mode" on the wheel is no longer on.
has anyone else experienced this? any suggestions?
Thanks

More trouble,
after trying to do a firmware upgrade on the t500rs it will no longer show up as a USB device on the computer, and the red light that used to be on "mode" on the wheel is no longer on.
has anyone else experienced this? any suggestions?
Thanks
Did you first install the driver? If so, was the wheel correctly recognized?

Did you first install the driver? If so, was the wheel correctly recognized?
I was in the process of trying to instal the driver, The wheel was recognized by the computer, then after i restarted the computer, there was nothing, and that is when i noticed that their wasn't a red light on the wheel anymore.

Hasn't John repeatedly stated firmware updates need to be done with USB 2.0? Or this happens?

I never attempted to update with USB 3.0, because my motherboard 3.0 slots are incredibly flaky and I just keep them disabled so I don't accidentally use them for anything.

Hasn't John repeatedly stated firmware updates need to be done with USB 2.0? Or this happens?

I never attempted to update with USB 3.0, because my motherboard 3.0 slots are incredibly flaky and I just keep them disabled so I don't accidentally use them for anything.

Do you have a haswell setup? For my I have to disable legacy USB support or I get really nasty bluescreens and what not with some usb devices. And I had to rma a previous mainboard because it would loose usb connection for a second or two. Incredibly frustrating to race in rFactor 2 as I was and just warp 300 metre behind the car you was ahead lol.

Do you have a haswell setup? For my I have to disable legacy USB support or I get really nasty bluescreens and what not with some usb devices. And I had to rma a previous mainboard because it would loose usb connection for a second or two. Incredibly frustrating to race in rFactor 2 as I was and just warp 300 metre behind the car you was ahead lol.

Ivy Bridge. Not sure if I have legacy disabled (and just support 2.0). I have two separate 3.0 slots on my mobo. They can use third party drivers. I think I've used two different types of drivers on them, and ditched both methods. Just disabled them in the BIOS.

Should be noted this mobo originally had a Sandy Bridge processor. So it's a pretty early model of the mobo. 3.0 was in its infancy at the time I bought it.

Thanks @Dean the Bootloader was the issue and I got the wheel working again with updated firmware,
but the problem is still there with the brake force only going up 2 bars. I called thrustmaster and they told me that they were going to email me a procedure to pull apart the pedal set and check to see if the brake is in the right position.
I'm hoping this might be the issue. but i guess i shouldn't hold my breath.

Got delivery of my Momo Classic 370 mm rim today. Much higher standard then my previous 350 made in china leather rim that´s for sure. It´s in better condition used then that was new :)

I am happy to report I still reach the paddles fine though it´s surely getting borderline. 380 mm I would surely have to shift grip some to reach them with my hand size. About 20 cm from long fingers to where I bend the wrist.

Back