The Ugly Stock Wheels Thread

• Thread starter Turbo
  • 110 comments

In your opinion, which era had the most unattractive wheel designs?

• 1970s

• 1980s

• 1990s

• 2000s

• 2010s

• An earlier time period

Results are only viewable after voting.
Speaking of alloys imitating hubcaps... Volvo has to be one of the worst offenders.

volvo-760-9.jpg

Personally I think that 740 looks gorgeous.

Personally I think that 740 looks gorgeous.
It does. As does a 940 wearing the Pholus wheels as portrayed - indeed I have one of those myself. Yet they still look like hubcaps to Joe Average who knows jack about alloy wheels.

1988-1994 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 rims (Z24 was the "sporty" package)

Absolutely hideous. Was the designer drunk when he created those wheels?
Just looked the car up on google:

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh god no.

these wheels on the 458, nothing wrong with them, they just don't compliment the rest of the car
2012_ferrari_458_italia_road_test_review_03-1106-900x480.jpg
I don't like how the 5 spoke rims in the 458 looks way too thin.

I've never liked the wheels on the pre-facelift R230 SL 600

It doesn't look that bad tbh.

-----------------------
Subaru XT Wheels.

Subaru-XT-4.jpg

subaru-xt_key_3.jpg

subaru-xt-nz-32-yl.jpg

ALCYONE-12.jpg

1988-1994 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 rims (Z24 was the "sporty" package)

Absolutely hideous. Was the designer drunk when he created those wheels?

Which is odd considering the previous '80s generation had some respectable 5-spoke wheels on the Z24.
330225.jpg

-----------------------
Subaru XT Wheels.

Subaru-XT-4.jpg

subaru-xt_key_3.jpg

subaru-xt-nz-32-yl.jpg

ALCYONE-12.jpg

Those wheels on the XT from the 1st pic, remind me in their design, of the Citroen BX GTi's wheels which were sort of similar:

Citroen BX GTI...jpg

Citroen BX GTI,.jpg

Only they work much better on the Citroen, partly due to their slightly different design, but also because of the BX's shape. I've always thought they were a really nice wheel for the BX, particularly when they were in their classic gunmetal with polished lip form, just looked really cool to me.

I find the current Lexus ES wheels to be a mess.
2016-Lexus-ES-350-Sports-Luxury-17in-wheels-1280x835.jpg

The factory Nismo Juke wheels look like those cheap chrome/black wheels you find at a local tire shop.
2014-Nissan-Juke-Nismo-RS-wheel-from-2013-LA-Auto-Show.jpg

I must be the only one here who likes plain steel wheels - That Lancer RS looked great to me!

As for Volvo, I've rather liked a lot of their alloy wheel designs. There was one exception to that rule, however, which were their Peugeot-engined hyper-miling ford focus Frankensteining 'DRIVe' models...

volvo-c30-drive-wheels.jpg

And yet the C30 T5 and R-Design models are some of my favourite looking cars. This is function completely overruling form with no compromise. If it weren't for the wheels in that picture (and maybe the colour now I think about it) that C30 would look very smart!

Just looked the car up on google:

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh god no.

I don't like how the 5 spoke rims in the 458 looks way too thin.

It doesn't look that bad tbh.

-----------------------
Subaru XT Wheels.

Subaru-XT-4.jpg

subaru-xt_key_3.jpg

subaru-xt-nz-32-yl.jpg

ALCYONE-12.jpg

👍
... truly hideous sets of wheels.

I don't get the hate on the Ferrari 5-spoke. They don't look fragile to me, they look awesome and light.

I must be the only one here who likes plain steel wheels - That Lancer RS looked great to me!

As for Volvo, I've rather liked a lot of their alloy wheel designs. There was one exception to that rule, however, which were their Peugeot-engined hyper-miling ford focus Frankensteining 'DRIVe' models...

View attachment 664707

And yet the C30 T5 and R-Design models are some of my favourite looking cars. This is function completely overruling form with no compromise. If it weren't for the wheels in that picture (and maybe the colour now I think about it) that C30 would look very smart!

I quite like the steel wheels on the RS as well. I mean, they're better than some of the other options performance cars have today.

It always seems to be the electric/hybrid versions of cars that get the worst wheels.
2017-Volkswagen-e-Golf-wheels.jpg

2015-Kia-Soul-EV-wheels.jpg

I love the Tacoma. But the wheels on the current Tacoma Limited are ugly. Especially with my disliking towards the two tone paint jobs that seems to be the trend.
2016-Toyota-TACOMA-Limited-4x4-DoubleCab-8.jpg

Somehow doesn't fit the truck.... Same with the older Tacoma Limited.
toyota-tacoma-10.jpg

You know, if the centers of those first wheels were painted silver, they'd look amazing. As they are though, they aren't bad compared to, say, the Rav4 posted above it. The ones on the second picture aren't bad either, they would just look better not chromed.

If anything though, these wheels are uglier because they are the typical black-wheel-with-machined-face look.
1.png

It's funny too because they are technically (functional) wheel covers that hide a nice set of alloys.
attachment.php

One of the optional wheels on the 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor remind me too much of those ugly aftermarket wheels you see on "bro-dozers..."
2017-Ford-F-150-Raptor-SuperCrew-wheel.jpg

ford-contour-2.jpg

90s American sedan wheels like this Ford Contour are awful. And to seal the deal the car next to it seems to have ugly looking wheels too :lol:

Latest Posts

Back