The YLOD Thread! What is it and how to avoid it when playing GT5.

• Thread starter FlareKR
  • 236 comments
The sole fact that they are designed better makes them less prone to YLOD. You said it yourself, it's not always the hardware's fault. All types of PS3s, be them fat or slims can suffer from stupid owners, on the other hand slims are designed better. Fats have more chances due to worse hardware than the slim's and mishandling.

The sole fact that they are designed better makes them less prone to YLOD. You said it yourself, it's not always the hardware's fault. All types of PS3s, be them fat or slims can suffer from stupid owners, on the other hand slims are designed better. Fats have more chances due to worse hardware than the slim's and mishandling.

Cool story bro

+1! Misuse makes PS3s prone to anything. Slims are by design a lot more tolerant to bad users.

+1! Misuse makes PS3s prone to anything. Slims are by design a lot more tolerant to bad users.

*sigh* Not necessarily at all. Depending on how you look at it. The slim is just the fat shrunk down. So the same issues apply. Many people pull the slim out of the box and it already heats up like a regular older model does or even worse People have their different opinions and I for one haven't seen the proof the slim was crafted better then the older models were. Same problems still apply and just as much as the older models did at their age. Sony made the slim the way it is so they would stop taking a lose and finally make a profit on the ps3. Thats how I see it as that is what the slim was made for.

most important rule of thumb.. back up your stuff! my 60GB PS3 was just killed by this YLOD, but since i backed up my stuff i just uploaded my stuff onto the new Slim and went right back to work

I play with my PS3 for about 3 hrs playing different games. And I let it rest for 30-45 Mins. Then I go back to racing :D I have the 360GB Slim

Last edited:
My PS3 YLOD'd on my while playing Cod zombie mod, for about 6 hours straight. This was after the Sony external fan made for the PS3 quit working. We sent the Fatty in, and got it rebuilt so we could still play games like Kingsfield. We rigged the fan to fun at all times and haven't had a problem with the PS3 getting hot.

60gig FTW!

I just recently got it, but I bought a new 160GB to replace it, i think it was because it was on the carpet the last few months that did it in...

I got a YLOD on my PS3 yesterday :( . Then I left it off for 1 day and tried switching it back on AND IT WORKS!!!

start backing up your stuff now, because its hidding in the shaddows and will be back shortly

Last edited:
My cousin and I share a 40GB PS3.
Then one day the power strip where the TV & PS3 are plugged in short-circuited,causing the power strip plug to explode.
Then after a month or 2 we started getting the YLOD.
What do you think is the problem?
The PS3's power cable? Or the power supply inside the PS3?
If its the power cable,can I buy a new one?
Thanks to anyone who is kind enough to answer this.

Have my launch 60gb and ever since it started running hotter because of the updates I was running it less and less.
Until recently I ran it to swap the data with a new slim ps3. Also running it with a 120gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD drive.

But yea even after swapping out the 15 blade fan with an OEM 19 blade and ICQ7 thermal paste, placing it on top of 4 tins of .177 pellet ammo and a small fan in the back to blow the hot air away. AND it would still get extremely hot, too hot for my liking.

After some research a couple months ago, some owners started a thread on another forum about how the ps3 can run cooler (especially if its the launch or backwards compatible) and they found out the PSU in these systems is running extremely hot. So the best mod besides swapping in a 19-blade fan is to swap out the power hungry, less efficient PSU.

Last edited:
Have my launch 60gb and ever since it started running hotter because of the updates I was running it less and less.
Until recently I ran it to swap the data with a new slim ps3. Also running it with a 120gb OCZ Vertex 2 SSD drive.

But yea even after swapping out the 15 blade fan with an OEM 19 blade and ICQ7 thermal paste, placing it on top of 4 tins of .177 pellet ammo and a small fan in the back to blow the hot air away. AND it would still get extremely hot, too hot for my liking.

After some research a couple months ago, some owners started a thread on another forum about how the ps3 can run cooler (especially if its the launch or backwards compatible) and they found out the PSU in these systems is running extremely hot. So the best mod besides swapping in a 19-blade fan is to swap out the power hungry, less efficient PSU.

I live in the Philippines. Is there any way I can get a new PS3 PSU?

^ I don't know anything about voltages, but you can check ebay for PSUs that rate the same in your region. I think its the U.S. and only a handful of other countries that use 120v, everyone else for the most part uses 220-230v.

So yea I would check Filipino Ebay or another close by country that uses the same voltage. There is actually a guide (somewhere on the internet, sorry I'm being vague), that shows which PS3's you can get your PSU from.

Well, I got YLOD on my 40GB fat PS3... took it apart, reflowed the GPU and CPU with a Bosch hot air... put it back on AND... IT WORKED...

...kind of...

... HDMI has gone kaputt. Can only play through my original PS2 scart cable at low-res... :(

YLOD is caused by power cycling (if I'm correct) and not overheating.
At least that was the case with older ones, 2nd gen PS3's were the most vunreable.

After many power cycles chipset (or something else, I'm not sure) breaks off the motherboard resulting in ylod.

I bit the bullet and bought a new slim PS3 before I reached YLOD. My old original fat 60Gb was starting to shut down with overheating after just 10mins of play - I decided it was time to back up my game saves before all was lost!

Shame though, I have to say that the new slim ps3 is ugly and looks cheap in comparison - although that glossy piano finish was a real dust and fingerprint magnet.

Argh! I had just bought my DLC and was ready to try out the new cars, then all the sudden BAM! It's out in the open and breathes ok, I want to throw this thing out the window I'm so mad right now! Of all the times for this to happen it has to be right now! At least I have my game saved in multiple places.

I recently had YLOD with my 2 usb 80gb fat (upgraded to 320gb). I took the motherboard out, stuck it under the grill for a wee minute then re-assembled. Fortunatly it worked long enough for me to copy my gamesaves onto a flash stick. The only thing i lost was all the lap times but i could live with that! My brothers original 4 usb ps is still going strong!

sniper338
Well Youtube was my friend today, the hairdryer trick seems to have worked out well!

Yes it's only a temporary fix tho unfortunately. Serious design flaw in the old PS3 causing it to overheat. Sony should be sued for failing to acknowledge this and compensate every user with this problem. Here in the UK, a Watchdog agency forced Sony to replace the faulty systems after public outcry. This only happened for a short time as a PR stunt.

Yes it's only a temporary fix tho unfortunately. Serious design flaw in the old PS3 causing it to overheat. Sony should be sued for failing to acknowledge this and compensate every user with this problem. Here in the UK, a Watchdog agency forced Sony to replace the faulty systems after public outcry. This only happened for a short time as a PR stunt.

So you're saying my fix could only last for a short while? And yes I agree with you 100% that Sony should take better care of their customers, they should at least offer some sort of compensation for my new large paper weight.

Edit: Now I'm scared to death of it dying again!

Last edited:
Back