They fixed the clutch/throttle lockout issue. (Update 2.10) Yes!!

• Thread starter research
  • 46 comments
During testing I was able to nearly flat-shift, just barely letting off the throttle at all...I was able to observe the minimal throttle lift in the replays. I got to a point where I could consistently shift while still at 95% throttle! The replay will clearly show the throttle indicator only dropping about 1 or 2 pixels from full. This was NOT possible before 2.10.

Can you upload some video to You Tube of said replays?

^ I contemplated doing that but then realized- there's no way of showing the clutch input or even proving that I'm using the clutch. Maybe get a friend to record me driving on a phone-cam? By the time I accomplish that we may find we've entered the ridiculous zone.

VBR, do some more testing and see if you can get her to shift successfully with more throttle. It's possible that your Nixim short-throw clutch is making things a bit difficult. Hard to tell.

I am not making it up when I say I've had complete success with 95% throttle**. You just gotta make sure to fully depress the clutch which is a bit unusual for the leg muscles to get used to while still holding so much throttle. I also would like to state that I have had some problems doing all of this at 'cruising' speeds. It is only consistent and accepting of my inputs in spirited/racing-style driving.

I would much rather see all of us have success in this endeavor, as opposed to just me. Lets have some more input from more members so we can get this totally straightened out.

EDIT: ** See post #39

Last edited:
I noticed that the bite point varies from car to car. If you notice the R32 GT-R let's say, you don't have to depress the clutch pedal as low as like the Acura RSX-S. The R32 bites quite high when you take your foot off the clutch compared to the RSX. I've driven both cars in real life and it is quite similar to the game in that department. Other car that I've driven was the '97 Prelude, but I haven't had enough real-life driving time with that one to notice the similarities.

A little off-topic, but yeah. If you drive 2 actual different cars and compare them to the game, you'll probably spot it too. I never tried GT5 Prologue, but I presume the clutch physics were better in that game? I think Polyphony tried to make it fair for the controller users, but actually, G27 users are at a disadvantage because of the clutch issue.

This isn't anything new, it's been like this for a while! That's what everyone is saying. I've been using the clutch for 3 years now, since Prologue and I (and most people) have been through all the bugs and all the updates. This is the same as before, you cold be experiencing some sort of "placebo" effect.

Also, if you show us your data logger, it will give all the info we need, throttle/brake, it's easy to tell clutch use by the throttle inputs, it'll drop during shift change when clutch is uses.

@Max911, Prologue was much worse, it was literally an on/off switch with no room for overlay.

^ I contemplated doing that but then realized- there's no way of showing the clutch input or even proving that I'm using the clutch. Maybe get a friend to record me driving on a phone-cam? By the time I accomplish that we may find we've entered the ridiculous zone.

VBR, do some more testing and see if you can get her to shift successfully with more throttle. It's possible that your Nixim short-throw clutch is making things a bit difficult. Hard to tell.

I am not making it up when I say I've had complete success with 95% throttle. You just gotta make sure to fully depress the clutch which is a bit unusual for the leg muscles to get used to while still holding so much throttle. I also would like to state that I have had some problems doing all of this at 'cruising' speeds. It is only consistent and accepting of my inputs in spirited/racing-style driving.

I would much rather see all of us have success in this endeavor, as opposed to just me. Lets have some more input from more members so we can get this totally straightened out.

My Nixim mod isn't making it any harder to use the clutch, had it installled for ages now makes no difference, & I really like the feel of it. Tested again tonight, & couldn't shift with anymore than 20% throttle, maybe it's cos we're using different cars. I'm in a stock Mazda Roadster '07, you?

If you got someone to record you whilst driving with the HUD on, you'd see the gear number change from white to grey when the clutch was being activated.

I think Polyphony tried to make it fair for the controller users, but actually, G27 users are at a disadvantage because of the clutch issue.

OFF-Topic

Joypads should be banned :banghead. Even if I use a modest forcepro I can't quite accept the idea of people pressing buttons going faster than someone with a good wheel. And that's not because I want to deny her or his skills but because it's a proof that something is not quite right in the game's physics.

I'm a G27 user and I hated that when you try and shift it goes to N so I basically call this mis-shift. Haven't tried the new update yet but I'am keen, I have always wanted to powershift here in gt5 because it is faster than normal shifting. Finally they have fixed this problem. I'll get back to you guys what I will discover tomorrow :D once PSN is fully functional :D NO MORE DELAYS PLZ!! :dopey:

UPDATE: Ok after more testing I must change my earlier wording- the 95% throttle shifting is only displayed with the throttle indicator in the replays. I am actually lifting my foot to about 60-70% throttle and having success. Any less lift than that and I am getting mis-shifts. For some reason the replay indicates much less virtual lift than actual- probably due to how fast I'm lifting and re-pressing the throttle. Before this update I would miss every shift if I moved anywhere near this fast with the throttle. I will edit the previous post to reflect this more accurate assessment, and I apologize for any confusion caused.

My original thread title still stands- as 60-70% actual throttle shifting is way better than the 5-10% of pre-2.10.

@VBR I have been using multiple cars from the 2nd-gen MR2 to the old Mustang Mach-1 to the premium Lotus Elise RM.. The results are pretty consistent as far as throttle-lockout goes. The actual clutch catch-point does seem to vary a little bit from car to car.

Last edited:
Yeah, annoyingly the control data is filtered for the replays, perhaps to save on file size. In-game the control is updated at physics rate, in replays my guess is it's only 30 Hz, and then probably filtered to half that to remove aliasing.

Argh So fustrating, that i got the looping problem, hopefully its gets fixed so i can enjoy this fix!!!! I have a g27 thats being wasted on arcade games.!!

Hehe I got to test my G27 and like I said before I would re-post to see what has changed and Yes!! it has changed. Before what I do is Let go of the throttle>Clutch>Next Gear>Let Go of Clutch>Gas but not I have change my ways! While driving = Full Clutch>Let go of the throttle (Slightly so still has a lil gas)>Next Gear>Let go of Clutch>Full gas :) So it does work but I still can't power shift... You gotta do it fast though if you don't do it correctly and fast enough you will end up in neutral.

My final onclusions are that you can power shift with a little more gas than before the update, but I'm still missing gears here & there. It hasn't made much difference to my driving experience.

Last edited:
Does it affect the clutch bite/throttle issue in any way if you install drivetrain upgrades? It should be mentioned if you used those or stock drivetrain (clutch), because if you compare the Elise RM (including all drivetrain upgrades) to a stock MX-5 it's pretty certain you'll have different experiences (in case the game is anywhere near reality about the clutch).

Yeah, annoyingly the control data is filtered for the replays, perhaps to save on file size. In-game the control is updated at physics rate, in replays my guess is it's only 30 Hz, and then probably filtered to half that to remove aliasing.

Good call, Griff. This issue has definitely led me to post some misinformation earlier in this thread. I hope I've cleared it up a bit. Thanks for your input.

@KiroKai - that is a good question. I always use the stock clutch when I'm in gated-shifter mode on my G25. The catch-point gets ridiculously sharp when you upgrade the clutch- which is fine if you want to go sequential, paddle, or automatic.

I will have to check if the Elise RM I've used will even allow me to put the stock clutch back on. :nervous:

EDIT: As suspected, once you RM a vehicle you are stuck with the Racing (dual plate) clutch. Some interesting stuff seems to be happening. In order to successfully get into gear, you must press the clutch way down, almost to the floor. But as you start letting that clutch pedal back up, the catch-point is fairly high up in the stroke- finally grabbing and transferring power to the wheels. This is certainly not accurate to real life- we should only have to press the pedal just beyond the catch-point to get into gear. Maybe a future update will further improve this perplexing clutch model, lol. I'm quite enjoying the recent improvement, regardless.

Last edited:
Back