Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,884 comments
Hi guys,

After trying the Ferrari at RBR and the Rampage at TM I couldn't find the finesse on pad, cars felt like a ton and I seem to lack the ability to get them rotated, so I thought a good way to try should be the uber light Spa trial..... but even that thing feels different to me, it's like the steering sensitivity is on -2 while I always am on 10... I checked like 3 times 🤣🤣

So for now.... im not a fan of the physics on pad, it just seems way slower and less sensitive and is going to take some time to adapt I guess...... @Dolph Drago what are your thoughts.?

First run in the RA272 was kind of fun though

View attachment 1380885
I'm not @Dolph Drago ,🤣🤣 but I completely agree with you. This has changed !!!

The AMG time trial is now live. The newer AMG GT3 at Laguna on softs.

Turns out that's part of a bigger competition Mercedes are running across all of GT, iRacing and ACC. So I imagine someone at PD got a bit of a shouting at when the site leaked it...
Yarp:

I usually don't use aliens ghosts that are too fast for me, at least when I first try a TT. I try to find a ghost that's around one second faster than gold time. I can usually follow it pretty closely and that's enough to get gold.
I heard a rumour that you only get a ghost if you've been in the top 10. That may be a load of old 🤬, but what I have found is, generally speaking, there are no ghosts down at my level or a second or two above - which is why the ghosts I use for help usually go streaking off into the distance. 🤣

Early attempt.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240814161134.jpg

I heard a rumour that you only get a ghost if you've been in the top 10. That may be a load of old 🤬, but what I have found is, generally speaking, there are no ghosts down at my level or a second or two above - which is why the ghosts I use for help usually go streaking off into the distance. 🤣
Scroll back a few pages and a few more on the global leader board. You are guaranteed to find some slower ghosts that set a top 10 lap time very early on.

Most of the time I'm only using my own ghost, which anyone can do. But lately I've been turning it off to avoid the distraction.

If I'm struggling to see what others do I'll pull up a top ten replay and watch it once or twice to see what I'm missing.

In the RBR TT I was having a really hard time figuring it out, so I put a top ten ghost in (SuperGT) and had it reset in each sector which really helped me hone the right line. After a few laps of that I turned it off and went to work!

Yeah my strategy is basically just to do laps until I've gotten really familiar with the track and feel like I've hit a solid wall and then I'll watch a couple of the top guy's laps to figure out where I can gain time and I'll start trying to mimic what I see in their laps. I really find ghosts very distracting...

Last edited:
As everyone has the option to save and share the fastest lap of that session you can find a lot of ghosts to add to your collection. Usually I share the fastest lap of every session and that might be a good starting point for you as I leave a lot of space for improvement... 😁

Wasn't sure which post to put this under as it could go under both but I'll keep it here as I always do! As I've done 1,000,000,000 laps here at Laguna with car profiles I was upto speed very quickly today! The guide is below for those that need a little help or want some brake markers!

As mentionned by @Gorefast go in the showcase and search for replays using the filters to narrow to combo of car + track and "online time trial", you'll find plenty of replays with times displayed, you just have to pick one that suits you.

Last edited:
Wasn't sure which post to put this under as it could go under both but I'll keep it here as I always do! As I've done 1,000,000,000 laps here at Laguna with car profiles I was upto speed very quickly today! The guide is below for those that need a little help or want some brake markers!

Thank you as always. "I'm looking for this sausage" might be my favourite 'imagine my wife walks in now and I have to explain that to her' quote. :cheers:

Came back to put myself back into gold at trial mountain. It was pretty hard to get into grips with rampage again and to even improve. I'm not in the best form right now to even fight my own pbs;)
1000019636.jpg
1000019639.jpg

Still got some juice left in me to try amg on lagua. I LOVE THE SOUND of this car. I'm team ford and aston so I don't spend much time with amg gt.. but daaaaamn everytime I get to drive this thing it gives me shivers. Some installment laps. Gold gonna be hard as I struggle at laguna a lot
1000019637.jpg
1000019638.jpg

Last edited:
Woohoo sub 1.21! Barely, but it counts! It's hard to trust this car to stick during corner exit and I'm finding it way easier to overdrive than my beloved R8 LMS. Still, loving the challenge of a new GT3 and can see why people choose AMG for the GTWS.

191522f993d85-screenshotUrl.jpg

Had a brief look at all the top guys profile cards and they're already GT finalists of some sort, real life racers, and young! Maybe at 32 I can start using age as an excuse card 😅.

@Gomario JSP

As you may know I alternate between Dualsense and wheel.

Prior to the physics change, I was very comfortable on the controller. Post update, I absolutely hate it!!

With the wheel on the other hand, the physics are sublime. It feels way more sim like to me. It is slightly more difficult and takes some getting use to, but I feel that it is definitely a step in the right direction.

This is just my opinion and I do believe you guys will still kill it using the controller. Also bear in mind that I have not given the controller more than 1.5 hours since the updated physics.
It has changed drasticly and I don't know what the hell I can do to get my finesse back, practice I guess...., glad you like it on wheel mate!
@Dolph Drago seems to adopt to the new physics quite well judging fron his time. I....on the other hand....not so much 🙈

Don't get me wrong tho....I love the new physics and think the chamge is great. I just can't seem to get it right. Now the brakes and throttle is even more sensitive than befor...maybe I juat don't have the finesse to get the most out of it 🫠
That's why I was so surprised that I can't work with it, smooth trailbraking has become a real pain...I just tried the Merc ..... and its as bad as I expected and NOwhere near the previous update, Im glad to hear that most the wheel users are happy and feel a lot more... I feel way less now (except for puddles 😕) and as for now I can't see my self top 100 ever again with these lack of input feeling.....it's like steering a jumbo jet around a gokart track....., the fast input translation is completely gone..

Ill try to figure it out ofcourse, but for now im kind of devastated with the outcome....
I'm not @Dolph Drago ,🤣🤣 but I completely agree with you. This has changed !!!
You struggle too with pad mate?, it seems that we have lots of work to do 😭
PD kicked us down..... 🤣

that just reinforced that I have no idea how some of you use ghosts. Although it helps with line, once you know, you know. Chasing it is just weird, because by definition they brake a little earlier, accelerate a bit earlier, leaving a concertina effect.
I'd definitely put myself in the category of good ghost chasers, to the point where sometimes when a car/track just clicks I can get under 2% of the top times after just a few laps and before I even know what the braking points are.

The key for me is putting the offset at a point where I have time to see what they are doing and consciously react to it, but I also have to remain close enough to see things like brake lights or weight transfer that shows me if they are loading one side of the car ahead of a turn, or seeing the front pop up when they hit the gas hard, etc. For me that number is a .300 offset since I have pretty solid reaction times.

I'd definitely put myself in the category of good ghost chasers, to the point where sometimes when a car/track just clicks I can get under 2% of the top times after just a few laps and before I even know what the braking points are.

The key for me is putting the offset at a point where I have time to see what they are doing and consciously react to it, but I also have to remain close enough to see things like brake lights or weight transfer that shows me if they are loading one side of the car ahead of a turn, or seeing the front pop up when they hit the gas hard, etc. For me that number is a .300 offset since I have pretty solid reaction times.
This. I like em close so I can see the track in front and the brake lights. I need the push a ghost brings. If I'm really finding myself high on the leaderboard I sometimes have to bump the offset to a .5. Mostly I'm a .3 all the time though 😂

After hating this car for couple of days, I decided to go back to HSR and give it a second go after all, and it went quite well.

1723667479037.jpg

Not a bad place to be, I guess the Rings suit me, both Red Bull and High Speed

1723667479018.jpg

I'm definitely done with these, reached my limit, on the RBR my best time could possibly be 1:36.700 because on the best lap I lost over a tenth just in the first sector, compared to what I've done previously, but then there is the rest of the lap which I would have to match, so no, this is good enough. And on the High Speed Ring, my optimal was 1:00.450, so I think I can call it a day as well, very close to the real skill limit.

On to the Laguna now :D

Think I'll be going for the AMG this weekend now 😅 as well as repairing the wheel (which will hopefully feel better than the controller currently does).

I find it a bit wierd that if you get accepted to race in the AMG VC and want to use your own livery that you have to share it as public and editable with your real first name and surname as the title, yet on ACC and IRacing you just send a copy 🤔

Awesome guide as always mate! There is 12M at stake for those who are professionals on all 6 of these tracks. Who will take home the bacon? Just keep rolling PD, it just means more money for working hard in each TT. Even me earning silver in all of them, that's a huge chunk of cash, 6 million credits. Good luck y'all.

I have reviewed and tried to copy the usual aliens- Tidgney and some top times. Yesterday I even resorted to using @Metalgear9493's ghost, but that just reinforced that I have no idea how some of you use ghosts. Although it helps with line, once you know, you know. Chasing it is just weird, because by definition they brake a little earlier, accelerate a bit earlier, leaving a concertina effect.
I'm not really at your level, so my comment will probably not apply, however...

I'm not really a cheaser, there is already to much to do and my cpu cannot also handle the evaluation of what ghost is doing, unless there is a realy major difference.

I use it mostly as positional reference in turn by turn to get a quick feedback about how i performed in each turn and/or to assess how a change I applied, or tried to apply, worked out. Therefore I don't use very fast ghost, but prefer ghost closer to my time. They are usually more "normal" people, other reason why I don't try to copy them (I'd be scared to discover anyone trying to chase and copy my full-of-imprecision ghost).

Thanks for the compliments, guys, but there are plenty of guys who remain WAAAAY faster than me on controller. cough @jontikis cough @NAXEHT cough :lol: I still have decent speed, but it feels like a mixed bag regarding the physics change with my DS4. Sometimes I nail a good lap early and can't touch it again. Others I put down an average or somewhat quick lap, then slowly move up the leaderboard as the TT goes on.

I struggled like mad getting the Subi to turn at Eiger at first. Once I learned how to get through the hairpins (albeit with some help from the handbrake), it got a lot easier. My first go at Trial Mountain was pretty fast, and I haven't had any trouble setting faster times each session. Same went for Tokyo, as much as I dislike all its variations.

Meanwhile, I set my best lap on my second? attempt at RBR and haven't been able to get close no matter what I try. And while I haven't tried it since getting under 1:01, I have a bad feeling I won't be able to improve my HSR ring time should I attempt it again.

I've only given Spa one crack so far, but the car felt so nice with the controller. We'll see how it feels next time I make the trip there.

Well during the practice attempts I’ve managed to completely mess up on every corner at least once (the corner before the corkscrew is actually the worst) but after much deliberation I’ve managed a 1:21.489 - yet I know I can go faster than that as some practice laps I’ve been a couple of tenths ahead and then messed up as per usual.

Grip is great but I don’t seem to trust myself with 2nd gear for whatever reason - might be the wheel spin and being a controller player I’m not the greatest in throttle control as I would typically mash it and pray!

I reckon a 1:20 is definitely possible but that means not saying things like “nailed it” or “that was good” on corners before inevitably going off the next one.

Last edited:
Crap, do I feel slow. Is this the first TT with a Gr.3 car with the new physics (not counting the wet RBR, of course)? I already have a harder time with these machines compared to the oversteery vehicles. 'Cause if this is any indication, I'm screwed. My biggest annoyance is that I'm getting gobs of understeer in the left hander after the corkscrew. And I don't know how I did it, but I had a great slide through turn 5 on my "fast" lap which gained me a ton of time but could not replicate. Also, naturally, I had a horrendous first sector a good two tenths off what I had been running on that lap. :indiff:
IMG_3496.jpg

Back