Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,738 comments
I'm getting annoyed at L.S.

I hate that stupid first U-turn right before the Coopers Tires banner thing. I feel like I'm in a nightmare. And don't even get me started about the Corkscrew and the very last sharp left turn, you know before the finish line.

Anyone on a G29, or maybe any other wheel, I have a question because this feels wierd to me.

On the first fast right of sector 2 at Laguna Seca, are you having to turn your wheel more than 90 degrees?

I have to, yet I get drastic understeer at T2 with less input, and don't need to turn it that much for the final corner, something doesn't feel right 🤷🏻‍♂️

It really does not feel realistic, if I did that in my own car I would be off into a hedge or a motorway barrier, I don't even have to turn the wheel in my van that much for a corner like that on the motorway 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I don't own a wheel but I am having lots of difficulty even using a controller, see I use the joystick to turn, not the directional buttons. I have to be careful how I turn during T2 and not hit that sausage curb, otherwise it will cause the car to do a wheelie and get off-balance. I usually get both there, oversteer and understeer. So annoying...

@P-Courty

Last edited:
How is that relevant? The stick will obviously allow for more precision than buttons...
Idk, all I know is Laguna is a bitch to get a good time on, the Corkscrew got me so many times in the previous TT's because I got too hasty and went too fast which I could not plan my line and braked too late which caused crashes in the sand traps. The joystick does work but I still have to turn hard and slow down which is costing me valuable time.

@P-Courty I'd stick with the controller, there are some sharp skilled controller users who have proven to get low times with AT as well. But MT is the way to go.

I'm getting quicker, Need to perfect the start twistys bits and brake less on turns 6,7,8! Ever so close but improving alot!

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240824134408.jpgGran Turismo™ 7_20240824134306.jpg
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240824133911.jpg

I didn't even want to try Suzuka until I got into the 19s at Laguna... And FINALLY!

1724533890668.jpg

The lap, chasing the WR ghost:

Lost a chunk of time in the left hander right before Corkscrew as you can tell by my reaction, but more or less happy with everything else. In a perfect world this would be a 19.800, but this will do.

NSX here I come :D

I've just gone back to the controller with motion steering and the truning ability instantly feels much better and more precise than the wheel, this seems strange.

I might give it a try on Assetto Corsa for comparison of wheel feel.
I haven't done any laps in the LS trial for a while now but I don't recall anything particularly weird about the steering with the G29. What are your torque and sensitivity settings? I found after the update that I could (really, needed to) bump the torque up a bit (I ended up at 6 - was 4 before the update) and I also found that the sensitivity needed adjusting too, all the way from where I had it before at 1 to the opposite end of the scale, 10!

Last edited:
How is that relevant? The stick will obviously allow for more precision than buttons...
Tbf, I can't remember who it is because I'm drunk after a day after a festival, but there is one weirdo (sarcasm, no offense) 90s throwback person that posts here who does set decent times using the D-Pad instead of the analogue stick

I appreciate that he's good but he's one sick individual who has a bigger set than I 😂😂

I improved my gold a little bit with the AMG, hopefully stays in gold until the end🤞

1000011460.jpg

1000011461.jpg
1000011462.jpg
1000011463.jpg
1000011464.jpg

Then went on to try the Clio with the G29.

The Clio is so much fun to drive on pad and wheel although I was still quicker on pad by 0.8xx but gave it a fair few laps on the wheel just because I was having fun.

Then over to the U17 Honda and really did not like that on the wheel, left it with silver.

Next was the senior Honda which felt better than the U17 (are there differences in BOP?), still only left with silver, it's fun until you overload the front tires a tiny bit and all force feedback just disappears completely even though you aren't understeering.

This is where I kind of have a problem.

I always used to use the G29 with all of those settings on 10 maxed out, so now I can't adjust it any higher, it doesn't feel too bad though FFB wise but just wierd steering issues
holy crap..I couldn't drive with the FFB at 10 before the update. Just seemed way too heavy and felt like it was clipping like crazy. Even at 4 I found a few cars still a little too heavy.

Last edited:
holy crap..I couldn't drive with the FFB at 10 before. Just seemed way too heavy and felt like it was clipping like crazy. Even at 4 I found a few cars still a little too heavy.
I turned it down for high downforce cars like the Tomahawk as that was undriveable with it maxed out.

But I mainly used the wheel for drifting so the most rotation return speed I could get the better.

53946055334_d7eaa7ffc5_o.jpg

A substantial improvement puts me well and truly above my brother and many other fellow peasants friends.
53946177260_8b1d8cff80_o.jpg

I don't get this one. Why is it soo hard? I know the track and the car is nothing too crazy so I'm baffled by the level of difficulty. I feel like I'm forcing the car to do things it's not supposed to do.

Last edited:
Man i am having a hard time nailing one solid lap at Suzuka, I did make progression after watching Mr stats run , thanks @half_sourly
2nd out seems fast indeed out of some corners, I know I can do this because I binned 2 sub 49 laps at the last chicane this morning, what a pain in the ass is that 🤣🤣
But couldn't get it 😡🤣

1000025038.jpg

We made progression! 😁😁

thanks @half_sourly
2nd out seems fast indeed out of some corners
You are welcome but I can't take credit - I used @Tidgney's advice. It took me many, many miles too before cracking 1:49; I'm sure you'll get there.

How the fast guys do 30 seconds flat in the first sector is beyond me. I've had one 30.26 and a few 30.33 and up, but mostly I'm at 30.4 and worse. Not sure I have more time to gain without massive effort, but at 1.35% off the top, I might leave it there. I'll be away much of this coming week anyway. Happy lapping!

Anyone on a G29, or maybe any other wheel, I have a question because this feels wierd to me.

On the first fast right of sector 2 at Laguna Seca, are you having to turn your wheel more than 90 degrees?

I have to, yet I get drastic understeer at T2 with less input, and don't need to turn it that much for the final corner, something doesn't feel right 🤷🏻‍♂️

It really does not feel realistic, if I did that in my own car I would be off into a hedge or a motorway barrier, I don't even have to turn the wheel in my van that much for a corner like that on the motorway 🤦🏻‍♂️
I'm on a G29 too and do experience some understeer there as well. Still on silver at Laguna, so take any following experience or advice carefully ;)

I suspect the high camber angle of the BoP suspension setup may cause understeer in wide corners at speeds too low for the aero to create enough downforce. Also, in said corner the weight is pushed to the back as you're accelerating while the rear wing creates more downforce than the front splitter and when the understeer starts, you can hear the front tyres start to screetch. Increasing steering input worsens this, especially with slicks.

To mitigate this I either lift off the throttle or tap the brakes slightly for more rotation on corner entry. Doing this lets you turn the wheel less, like you would in the same situation in a road car with less camber on road or sports tyres. Still practicing this.

I'm giving up on gold at Laguna Seca. I can't even get close to my best time, 1.21.3. This track requires an insane precision, something I'm not able to achieve with a controller. I used to be closer to aliens when I sim raced with a steering wheel, but I have to accept I won't reach that level on GT.

Last edited:
To mitigate this I either lift off the throttle or tap the brakes slightly for more rotation on corner entry.

This is was what I ended up doing, I was finding that this stablised it more than just lifting off.

I also found that shifting all the way down to 1st gear at the top of the corkscrew gave me more turn in, shifting to 2nd at the drop and 3rd when starting to accelerate at the bottom, I ended up with a faster exit each time 👍🏻

Last edited:

I had to put more input than common sense would allow you which is twisting my brain. Also felt the same about tires on lap1 and the following laps. That tt is just as counter-intuitive as it can be

I'm taking most of the corners and turns too slow at Weathertech. I'll show you one of my MT runs later on to be more specific. I'd like to get a sub 1'24.000 today, then each day gradually decrease my time, if possible. That's the plan.

I'm the man with the plan. And thinking through each section and watching Tidgney's guide is crucial too for a time under 1'23.500.

thinking genius GIF by Big Brother Canada

Last edited:

That's a pretty gnarly nail in the coffin for the GT1 car BoP's. A car only being able to get bronze by a World Tour driver in a single class event is dire!

Nobody's noticed yet because we haven't had a Gr.1 event post 1.49, but I suspect the same will be true of the Group C cars there.

They really should just take these cars out of their respective Gr.s if they don't want them competing.

Back