Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,570 comments
As this is the "discussion thread" I want to get your reactions to the Idea of a TT-league. Since the glorious GTP-leaderboard got published I was thinking about this idea and as the end of this years comes nearer it could become a project for 2024.

I am a fan of simple rules so I would suggest that over the years 2024 your result in every TT is how many (or better few) points you earned. Of the 50 results only your best 30 will count. This way there shouldn't be too much pressure to the Top-100-guys of our community. There can also new members join later this year, too. The participant with the fewest points becomes the champion.

As a silver driver I like the competition with similar drivers over one year. What do you think?

Last edited:
I don't know if it's a smart idea, plus everyone has different approaches on the TTs.

For instance, I only do the time trials to claim gold, then move on. Only once in a blue moon, like right now, I'm actually testing most Gr.3's on Willow Springs, and tried to improve my Daytona time as much as I could.

If I were to be in this TT league, my points tally would be quite low as I haven't always given it my all. :lol:

But for those that are into it, I say why not. Would just need some kind of separations for controller type/skill level etc. And after quick thinking, the points awarded could be as simple as follows: Total number of entrants substracted by your finishing position, and the result would be the amount of points earned.

Last edited:
Pretty fun TT.

I'm losing a silly amount of time at the bus stop and the following long right. Also, the final corner I'm not getting quite right for some reason.

18c2075ddc671-screenshotUrl.jpg

Love the Watkins Glen TT. What's real fun is that it's such a flowing layout & a lot of the kerbs can be used to maximise the speed. Just ran a few laps & managed 1:22:626 which is Gold but the ranking is 20,000+. I said woah!

Bettered my time at the Willow TT as well. This TT surely demands for confidence which I'm lacking a little but had fun by bettering my time to get into Silver category.

20231130_184142.jpg

Watkins Glen is such a good track. I hate to call any track a favorite because there are elements of many that I enjoy very much but if I had to, WG is probably the one I'd pick. Can't wait for a chance at it.

Maybe I like it so much because it's the closest actual track to where I live.

Firstly - love the anecdote. You can't hide from good data analysis!

Secondly, here is the graph but with number of drivers per increment added to the RHS y-axis. It really shows the spikes around reward changes; more than I thought it would. You could see the cumulative line's 'bumps' get smaller for silver and then even smaller for bronze. Here that effect is even more pronounced; people try very hard to move from silver to gold, hard-ish from bronze to silver, and only a little from none to bronze.

I'd welcome feedback on this graph from you and @crome and will then include it for all TTs.

View attachment 1306719
Late to the party but I'm playing catch up here but LOVE this new graph! Super informative and interesting in the data it presents, great addition!!

@half_sourly
In terms of unreadable charts for the TTs with longer list of players, would it be possible for you to enter the whole spreadsheet as seen in this thread? This also comes with added benefit of being able to use ctrl+f to find our names in the table.

I am sure you are quite busy already but if you still take graph ideas I have one - I am pretty sure a lot of people in this thread improved a lot thanks to expericences shared here. It would be cool to visualise this with a graph for certain user with X axis being consecutive TTs and Y axis being performance - either percentile or place. Please disregard this idea if that is too much work though!

One more thing, that might be too far fetched and again please ignore if it is - would you mind storing the data online somewhere with view access? We would be able to analyse whatever we want without bothering you every time.

The fact that i made this time with dualsense got me thinking...
I started a few laps and got gold on DS, then switched on T300 and lost it immidiatley in first corner, then on bus stop, and after few laps returned to DS improved amost second with DS.
It is far easier with controler as it is possible faster get it to back to control.

Attachments

• 20231130_181644.jpg
    20231130_181644.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 8
The fact that i made this time with dualsense got me thinking...
I started a few laps and got gold on DS, then switched on T300 and lost it immidiatley in first corner, then on bus stop, and after few laps returned to DS improved amost second with DS.
It is far easier with controler as it is possible faster get it to back to control.
Stating the obvious but work the wheel more.

Turn the FFB and use the wheel and pedals.

The controller has some assists you can't turn off, if you have a wheel then learn and maximise it mate. It's super easy to move the stick left to right, but it's much easier on pedals to modulate braking and when to accelerate and how much.

After a string of disappointing results lately, I was pleasantly surprised at being able to get a silver at Willow Springs (NOT a favourite track of mine...)

... and I just golded the new TT at Watkins Glen Short Course (very much a favourite of mine!)... by far and away the quickest gold I've ever managed, taking me only about 7 laps to get to 2.62%. I reckon that will probably need to be improved upon by a few tenths to hold on to a gold, but I really enjoy this car/track combo.

Stating the obvious but work the wheel more.

Turn the FFB and use the wheel and pedals.

The controller has some assists you can't turn off, if you have a wheel then learn and maximise it mate. It's super easy to move the stick left to right, but it's much easier on pedals to modulate braking and when to accelerate and how much.

Well, it is not that I'm rookie with wheel. For the past year I was driving exclusivly with wheel, but as I was forced to use controller last 2 weeks if I want to get game time I just wanted to share my experience. It is easier to be consistent on long run on wheel, but if someone wants easy try to improve time and get silver/gold after strugling with wheel it is worth a try, especialy on tracks with 3-5 braking corners like this TT.

Well, it is not that I'm rookie with wheel. For the past year I was driving exclusivly with wheel, but as I was forced to use controller last 2 weeks if I want to get game time I just wanted to share my experience. It is easier to be consistent on long run on wheel, but if someone wants easy try to improve time and get silver/gold after strugling with wheel it is worth a try, especialy on tracks with 3-5 braking corners like this TT.
Fair enough.

If you have a wheel, use it. It is the better tool for the job ultimately but it's easy to use a controller I get that. But the why have a wheel and not practice? We have had console wheels for maybe 10 years now but controllers forever. So it's a jump but it's worth doing if you have the kit

Sometimes the wheel (mostly pedals) has the advantage and some times the pad.
If the track has 3,..5 or 15 corners....don't thinks that's much of a difference.
Trailbraking for example is far more easy on a wheel, caching snappyness is more easy on a controller.
I don't know if someone who has trouble golding it on wheel suddenly has an easy time on a controller, we can only await half_sourly stats when the TT has ended in 2 weeks to see who has got the advantage this time, but my guess is still the wheel 😁
I'm on for this weekend to set my first time on this one (on dualsens )😁

Happy lapping

@half_sourly
In terms of unreadable charts for the TTs with longer list of players, would it be possible for you to enter the whole spreadsheet as seen in this thread? This also comes with added benefit of being able to use ctrl+f to find our names in the table.

I am sure you are quite busy already but if you still take graph ideas I have one - I am pretty sure a lot of people in this thread improved a lot thanks to expericences shared here. It would be cool to visualise this with a graph for certain user with X axis being consecutive TTs and Y axis being performance - either percentile or place. Please disregard this idea if that is too much work though!

One more thing, that might be too far fetched and again please ignore if it is - would you mind storing the data online somewhere with view access? We would be able to analyse whatever we want without bothering you every time.
Thanks for the link to the thread - I have contacted the author to ask for help.

You are right, getting all the old results up has kept me very busy the past few days - played this evening for the first time since Sunday, other than a very short stint on Monday - but I like your idea. I'll save it and work on it once I'm back up and running. I might though do it by asking people to let me know if they wish to have such data, because with more than 100 drivers currently 'on the books', doing them all would be quite the task.

I'm happy to share the data, but the files are quite big (around 30 - 50 MB each). However, I am genuinely more than happy to analyse things on your behalf, so feel free to ask if you have something in mind.

Sometimes the wheel (mostly pedals) has the advantage and some times the pad.
If the track has 3,..5 or 15 corners....don't thinks that's much of a difference.
Trailbraking for example is far more easy on a wheel, caching snappyness is more easy on a controller.
I don't know if someone who has trouble golding it on wheel suddenly has an easy time on a controller, we can only await half_sourly stats when the TT has ended in 2 weeks to see who has got the advantage this time, but my guess is still the wheel 😁
I'm on for this weekend to set my first time on this one (on dualsens )😁

Happy lapping
I agree with this a lot.

I fall on the wheel (pedals!!!!) are the real differentiator but I can only speak for me so it's not ideal. I can almost promise if I don't set a sub 100 time I'm gonna be disappointed.

But everyone's mileage varies on these so just drive the best you can that's all I'm doing in all transparency

Fair enough.

If you have a wheel, use it. It is the better tool for the job ultimately but it's easy to use a controller I get that. But the why have a wheel and not practice? We have had console wheels for maybe 10 years now but controllers forever. So it's a jump but it's worth doing if you have the kit

I got it now with the wheel and I hope to get some more time to improve :)

Attachments

• 20231130_195806.jpg
    20231130_195806.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 6
@half_sourly

I'm happy to share the data, but the files are quite big (around 30 - 50 MB each). However, I am genuinely more than happy to analyse things on your behalf, so feel free to ask if you have something in mind.
@peniu If it's indeed the raw data you're after, and you don't mind interacting with the command line a little, you can scrape events for yourself. Takes ~10 minutes per event. See here: https://github.com/chromey/gt7-scraper

First stint at Willow Springs. Not driving the meta right now.

So, trying the the Mustang. The car handles ok, but my optimal time today is still about 1 second out of the Gold requirement. I'll study some fast laps tomorrow and try one more stint with this car to see if I can get it there.

18c21bca5f949-screenshotUrl.jpg
18c21bc654216-screenshotUrl.jpg

I'm not sure at what point I may abandon trying the non-meta car. I really want to hop over to Watkins Glen. Also, 3 TT in the Americas in a row? Interesting.

Leaderboard

1:12.349 - GR Supra
1:12.448 - RCZ
1:12.584 - Alfa 8C
1:12.721 - RX Vision
1:12.853 - Ford GT '17
1:12.902 - Suzuki VGT
1:12.925 - Supra GT500
1:12.948 - SLS AMG
1:13.040 - Atenza
1:13.043 - Beetle
1:13.076 - 911 RSR
1:13.113 - Viper
1:13.2XX - Gold cut-off
1:13.322 - Lancer
1:13.624 - Golf VGT
1:13.671 - Silhouette
Welp...that was a trip. I actually spent 400km on the WRX, just to get the best lap possible. I was obsessed. I was initially matched with the Lancer (multiple 1:13.3 runs), and struggled to improve at all.

Then I got an amazing S2 and knew it was gonna be a 1:13.1...buut I screwed up the last turn.

Thankfully not long after I got another lap going, this time going through the last turn with no problems, and completed the lap.

As @Carlos Fandango pointed out, he knew the car wasn't special and told me to avoid it, but I ran it anyway. And hey, if the car is good enough for gold and easily beat the Lancer, it's not the worst possible car... :lol::lol:

The car may be slow, but I seriously enjoyed the process of trying to nail the lap...the car was quite okay to drive. It felt fast...

Latest Posts

Back