Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,570 comments
I have updated all the previous TT results files up to Lake Louise and will post them on the results thread. In the process I have also updated the community scoreboard. Even the shorter version is barely readable because of the number of drivers now on the list.

I searched a bit for BB code advice and tried a couple of things that didn't work; this may be because the site limits what you can do with BB code (as suggested here).

Anyone here have suggestions for how I can make those scoreboard images legible? Something like an actual size table/image that is then scrollable left, right and up and down?

Nice dolph!, i took a look at your lap from my mini vacation location 😁, you are prob. going to be faster then me AGAIN.....but..
First thing I notice is you go to 4th early before T5, I do stay in 3th, rev the heck out of it and wait with 4th till you hit the apex, it makes it a little difficult but when you hit it you make big time! and you'll be for sure sub12 , it's were I made my time 100%

Good luck!
I would have said that he put the 4th too late! I'm just saying that in relation to the WR replay!

Last edited:
I would have said that he put the 4th too late! I'm just saying that in relation to the WR replay!
Yeah maby you can go early indeed, I would say exit in 4th is a must instead of 3th 😁 on my last session I did hit 4th on apex but I'll try to early that up when I get back, going to be the weekend 😁🤣, I'll upload my pb lap then btw 😁

Happy lapping guys

Nice dolph!, i took a look at your lap from my mini vacation location 😁, you are prob. going to be faster then me AGAIN.....but..
First thing I notice is you go to 4th early before T5, I do stay in 3th, rev the heck out of it and wait with 4th till you hit the apex, it makes it a little difficult but when you hit it you make big time! and you'll be for sure sub12 , it's were I made my time 100%

Good luck!
It's always a toss up for me there. One time I'll shift early and gain time and the next I'll lose. That corner is the crux of the whole track for me. A good time really hinges on that corner.

That's clearly it, if you have a good trajectory and speed out of the corner 4th is better !
That whole mid section is tough. The uphill cresting right where throttle is so super important to get a good run on that stupid left and getting the car slowed is really the thing. I also have realized that the last corner wants a very shallow exit. You need to be as lined up with the final straight as is possible. Lots of time there as well. I know I should get into the 11s. Whether I actually can or not... 😂😂😂

I have updated all the previous TT results files up to Lake Louise and will post them on the results thread. In the process I have also updated the community scoreboard. Even the shorter version is barely readable because of the number of drivers now on the list.

I searched a bit for BB code advice and tried a couple of things that didn't work; this may be because the site limits what you can do with BB code (as suggested here).

Anyone here have suggestions for how I can make those scoreboard images legible? Something like an actual size table/image that is then scrollable left, right and up and down?
I have tried to upload high res image (4000x12000) to see if that might help but that does not work. GT planet has limitations, wonder if admin could help and answer what is possible.

Suggestion 2, Not really what you were looking for but maybe splitting images, per medal, or similar might help in readability, I guess user experience will not be so ruined?

1701257645972.png

I have tried to upload high res image (4000x12000) to see if that might help but that does not work. GT planet has limitations, wonder if admin could help and answer what is possible.

Suggestion 2, Not really what you were looking for but maybe splitting images, per medal, or similar might help in readability, I guess user experience will not be so ruined?

View attachment 1307254
Thanks for trying. I think your suggestion of cutting the table might be best - will have a go.

Trying hard at Daytona the last couple of days to get my first Gold. I'm still half a second off or so, but struggling.
Found a ghost with a time of over 1:45, thinking I might actually be able to see it cross the finish line, but nope! 🤣
Still have a lunch-hour tomorrow to give it a final push, so fingers crossed!

That whole mid section is tough. The uphill cresting right where throttle is so super important to get a good run on that stupid left and getting the car slowed is really the thing. I also have realized that the last corner wants a very shallow exit. You need to be as lined up with the final straight as is possible. Lots of time there as well. I know I should get into the 11s. Whether I actually can or not... 😂😂😂
My problem after this crest is....I put the wheels in the sand or not..🤔🤔🤔😅

Firstly - love the anecdote. You can't hide from good data analysis!

Secondly, here is the graph but with number of drivers per increment added to the RHS y-axis. It really shows the spikes around reward changes; more than I thought it would. You could see the cumulative line's 'bumps' get smaller for silver and then even smaller for bronze. Here that effect is even more pronounced; people try very hard to move from silver to gold, hard-ish from bronze to silver, and only a little from none to bronze.

I'd welcome feedback on this graph from you and @crome and will then include it for all TTs.

View attachment 1306719
Fantastic! Since we group the drivers per increment the visualization is essentially a histogram. Since I'm not sure that is possible to generate a combined histogram with a line chart in Excel it might make sense to display them as vertical bars. I'm not sure this would look good though. Maybe if the color is very bland like a very light blue. Just an idea, this is perfectly fine as is.
Great work @half_sourly ! Very clear evidence of the MTAGABM effect!

I tend to spend most of my time around the silver line, but on the odd occasion that I get close to the gold (or silver) line, then I will push to get over that line. My rule is generally 'If I get to within 0.5s, I'll keep going'. Conversely, I also find it a no-brainer when I'm midway between those lines to think 'yeh, this is where I belong on this one...'
What is MTAGABM? Search here and in Google didn't yield anything.
This is great. We even have micro dips at L-Shooter's new thresholds due to some people improving last minute once they saw what he did. There is also more volume in between the new and old thresholds than usual. I suspect that this might be due to those that tried making the new cutoff but only improved by a bit before time ran out.

No improvement at Daytona on the final day.

It was a better session today than yesterday but my best was still about 0.05 seconds slower than my PB. Optimals were ok and I set a few very good sectors. Ultimately, unable to connect it all.

Tomorrow will start my first session at Willow Springs. I'm thinking of doing what a few others have done with American Gr.3 cars. But I'm only going to shoot for a safe Gold here. I need some time playing were I'm not just trying to push 100% of the time.

What is MTAGABM
He was referring to my earlier "must try and get a better medal" remark.

Is this what you mean by using a histogram? I think the line (instead of the light blue bars) pronounces the shifts more. Also, if I used bars, I'd have to find another way to show gold, silver and bronze cut-offs. At the moment I do them by finding the 0.1 increment each sits in, then having a range with 0 throughout, except for these 3 points (G,S,B) where the value is 100k (or similar, depending on the specific graph), with a bar.

1701270015938.png

It was a better session today than yesterday but my best was still about 0.05 seconds slower than my PB. Optimals were ok and I set a few very good sectors. Ultimately, unable to connect it all.

Tomorrow will start my first session at Willow Springs. I'm thinking of doing what a few others have done with American Gr.3 cars. But I'm only going to shoot for a safe Gold here. I need some time playing were I'm not just trying to push 100% of the time.
I say this all the time..... but then there are some people who keep "mentioned you" in a post were they have beaten your time.... then the brain starts to give errors when not giving in 🤣
But I must agree, sometimes it goes quite far trying and hour wise...sometimes a little break is necessary 😁👍

I did the same last night... had an hour and just avoided the TT and went and ran the 30 minute Le Mans race. I'm doing better in these two TT than I have done in a while (maybe ever - last night I was top 800 in both when I checked), so the urge to keep pushing is definitely there, but as @Gomario JSP and @Evilmuffin have noted, it can get a little exhausting, so a change of scenery (literally) is helpful.

Last edited:
I say this all the time..... but then there are some people who keep "mentioned you" in a post were they have beaten your time.... then the brain starts to give errors when not giving in 🤣
But I must agree, sometimes it goes quite far trying and hour wise...sometimes a little break is necessary 😁👍
Yeah, it's understandable. Since Tokyo, I've been doing a lot better on the TT. I think the best explanation for my recent movement up the leader boards can be attributed to spending a consistent amount of time each day doing them.

I like to spread out my time on GT7 between the TT and some single player stuff during a session. I recently finished Golding all the Master License tests (don't bother checking your MS-10 time ;)). But once I finish all the new activities, I'm going to push harder on the TT.

He was referring to my earlier "must try and get a better medal" remark.
Oh I see. That should totally become a thing here.

Is this what you mean by using a histogram? I think the line (instead of the light blue bars) pronounces the shifts more. Also, if I used bars, I'd have to find another way to show gold, silver and bronze cut-offs. At the moment I do them by finding the 0.1 increment each sits in, then having a range with 0 throughout, except for these 3 points (G,S,B) where the value is 100k (or similar, depending on the specific graph), with a bar.

View attachment 1307310
Totally agree that the original version with the blue line is better. Thanks for checking it out. Was exactly what I was thinking about. Nice idea with G, S, B bars.

Was unable to improve any further, but overall pleased that I made it into top 200 at least.

I started the session with 1:45.8 being my PB, and in my final attempts I was constantly trailing under a tenth behind the splits, so an improvement would've been a small miracle.

I was hoping for a 1:45.0 but eh. Back to Gr.3 testing tomorrow.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20231129183920.jpg

I'm finished with Daytona. Love the car. Love the track. Even so, an aggravating TT at times to say the least. Hitting all the sectors in one lap was a near impossible feat.

I actually felt like I hit the chicane fairly well on what would become my new best time. Of course that meant I had mistakes in other areas I usually nail. Turn 1 was okay, maybe could've gotten on the gas a tad sooner. I then missed the apex in the International Horseshoe, not badly but enough to cost me a couple hundredths. Got way too hot into turn 5. It led to a better exit, but I lost time being so wide sliding through the corner itself. I know I got onto the gas late coming out of turn 6 (I tried multiple times accelerating before the apex as suggested here, but I would understeer like mad coming out of the turn). I was at a frustrating 1:18.0 at the end of sector 3 when I had laps in the 1:17's through there on other attempts. Then I mentioned above about the bus stop, which was decent for once. But the real kick in the balls was missing my upshift at the end of sector 4. I was taken aback looking at my split that I completely lost focus and forgot to shift. I don't even want to know how much time that cost me. Oh well. It is what it is.

IMG_2665.jpg

I'm finished with Daytona. Love the car. Love the track. Even so, an aggravating TT at times to say the least. Hitting all the sectors in one lap was a near impossible feat.

I actually felt like I hit the chicane fairly well on what would become my new best time. Of course that meant I had mistakes in other areas I usually nail. Turn 1 was okay, maybe could've gotten on the gas a tad sooner. I then missed the apex in the International Horseshoe, not badly but enough to cost me a couple hundredths. Got way too hot into turn 5. It led to a better exit, but I lost time being so wide sliding through the corner itself. I know I got onto the gas late coming out of turn 6 (I tried multiple times accelerating before the apex as suggested here, but I would understeer like mad coming out of the turn). I was at a frustrating 1:18.0 at the end of sector 3 when I had laps in the 1:17's through there on other attempts. Then I mentioned above about the bus stop, which was decent for once. But the real kick in the balls was missing my upshift at the end of sector 4. I was taken aback looking at my split that I completely lost focus and forgot to shift. I don't even want to know how much time that cost me. Oh well. It is what it is.

View attachment 1307496

Oefff that busstop was on the edge mate! 🤣👍, you def lost a lot of time indeed at the horse that def cost you soms tenths!,
Great lap, 1.06% 😁🥳

Back