Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,570 comments
Paging @Gomario JSP! :D Back to Watkins Glen today after an evening in the Bugatti. Both cars may be French, but I forgot how differently they handled! It took a few laps to get used to the Alpine again. Anyway...I really should have been in the 1:20.4's considering my time at the end of sector 2 (the lowest split I've ever had that far into a lap), but I turned into the second to last corner way too late and completely missed the apex. By the way, in the 60+ miles I ran, it was my only clean lap. :crazy:

View attachment 1310004
View attachment 1310003

It just never ends here.... 🤣

🤣🤣 that's fire mate , placed 40, and you kicked me to 47 😡🤣 I already saw it, great job!, now I have to revisit again, well.... I don't like the VGT one so there is only one choise 🤣

I'm going o try my best!, Going to be hard!

S1: 0:22.104
S2: 0:25.874 (0:47.978)
S3: 0.23.388 (1:11.366)

You were 0.001 sec ahead of me at S2!
Haha, damn. Nice.

It just makes me wish even more for a function which would be incredibly great. To load several ghosts. I remember that fondly from TrackMania back around 2009-10 when I played that. Not only to race against but in a replay setting as well. Selecting four, five ghost replays close to each other and then start a replay to watch it where one could see them all together with different lines, speeds, angles, exits, etc. It was incredibly cool and interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Well ..this is frustrating. The throttle of my G923 is starting to act up. Once a while out of nowhere it will start fluttering and won't give 100%. I was in one of the better lap only to have it happen in the back straight and watch the ghost disappear to the distance 🫠

I took it appart and really don't see much dirt trapped in there. I probably will do a major surgery with it and swap out the clutch peddle with it. Will have to figure out how to change the spring, swap wires and such.

Still managed a minor improvement.

18c4c2f579d21-screenshotUrl.jpg

Well ..this is frustrating. The throttle of my G923 is starting to act up. Once a while out of nowhere it will start fluttering and won't give 100%. I was in one of the better lap only to have it happen in the back straight and watch the ghost disappear to the distance 🫠

I took it appart and really don't see much dirt trapped in there. I probably will do a major surgery with it and swap out the clutch peddle with it. Will have to figure out how to change the spring, swap wires and such.

Still managed a minor improvement.

View attachment 1310067
Have you gone to the in game pedal calibration settings. I had the same problem and it turns out that the calibration was all broken.

Setting the min threshold to 6% and the upper threshold to 97% solved the issue plus restarting everything.

Allright, I'm fixing to get back to work at WG. I have 12 days for the Kyoto one so I'm not rushing on that one, one step at a time! Impressive work with all the records guys, I saw most of them in the recent pages of the forum! Maybe one day I'll reach that milestone to where I'm in the top 100-200.

Long live the MC, master chris! That's my new nickname, let's get them golds!!

Last edited:
Have you gone to the in game pedal calibration settings. I had the same problem and it turns out that the calibration was all broken.

Setting the min threshold to 6% and the upper threshold to 97% solved the issue plus restarting everything.

Yep... already did. It was reading fine when I'm there. The problem was sporadic and when it happen, it was pretty obvious. I could also see it in replay. The throttle input would be bouncing between 80 to 100% randomly at place I knew I had the throttle planned such as the straight.

I will see if recalibrating the threshold will work or not.

Last edited:
Yep... already did. It was reading fine when I'm there. The problem was sporadic and when it happen, it was pretty obvious. I could also see it in replay. The throttle input would be bouncing between 80 to 100% randomly at place I knew I had the throttle planned such as the straight.

I will see if recalibrating the threshold will work or not.
I had the exact same problem with my old G29. I could usually fix it by opening the base and cleaning the throttle mechanism and spraying contact cleaner into the pot.

Eventually it reached a point where the only sensible option was a new wheel and pedals. (I also may have pinched the throttle wires while cleaning it, which didn’t help).

So what key things do I need to be looking out for at Kyoto? I know when I use the Bugatti, it can be a handful to turn properly and get everything down pat on the road.

I had my first shot at the Kyoto TT and was improving lap after lap.

After about 7 laps, I was properly happy with my time and much, much faster than when I started. Not knowing the lead time helped, as I just concentrated on the track and not on hitting a desired time.

After I set my time, I privately thought to myself 'solid silver, close to a gold?'... turned out to be 9.38%, just inside a bronze.

embarrassing parks and recreation GIF

Last edited:
I think I'll stick with Watkins Glen and might then return to Kyoto if the next one is a bore.
Then again, I might spend 365 miles on a Saturday afternoon trying to get a slightly more decent time. I got there, but truly hated this combination, despite the car probably being great.

18c500382f274-screenshotUrl.jpg

As my creative juices run thin and I wanted to express my feelings about this TT, I asked my friend William* to help out. Here is his effort.

Alas, the wretched Kyoto Driving Park, a bane,
In Bugatti VGT, a trial so cruel,
Its twists and turns, my spirit it did drain,
My lap time, a mockery, I played the fool.

The VGT, a beast I could not tame,
Its power and speed, a challenge too great,
In Gran Turismo 7, a cruel game,
At Kyoto's track, I met my woeful fate.

The clock, a relentless, unforgiving foe,
Each turn, a reminder of time misspent,
My hatred for this trial, it continues to grow,
A sonnet of woe, for hours I've lamented.

Oh, Kyoto Driving Park, a place of despair,
In Bugatti VGT, I found no solace there.

* Sonnet not by the real William Shakespeare, but an AI impersonator

I'm officially finished working on the WG TT.

As I thought, I did have a 1:20 second lap. I just wish it were a biiit deeper. Oh well. The stint today was horribly frustrating and tedious to finally get it in. Which tells me I'm making the right choice to move on.

18c4ffdeadc14-screenshotUrl.jpg
18c4ffdffb014-screenshotUrl.jpg

I hope it stays in the top 1000, but under 1.5% off the WR is not bad. I think the Alien Juice I found for Lake Louise has run out for now.

I had my first shot at the Kyoto TT and was improving lap after lap.

After about 7 laps, I was properly happy with my time and much, much faster than when I started. Not knowing the lead time helped, as I just concentrated on the track and not on hitting a desired time.

After I set my time, I privately thought to myself 'solid silver, close to a gold?'... turned out to be 9.38%, just inside a bronze.

embarrassing parks and recreation GIF
I did the exact same thing and had the same feeling when I stopped lapping to see if I had surely reached gold with my smokin time.
Not 😂

Tis brutal

Did a few more laps at WG and a good improvement, not gold yet but very comfy silver.
Gran Turismo™ 7_20231209211914.jpg

Previous record was 1:23.374 IIRC. 1 red lap every 2 laps...

Tipped my toes at Kyoto with the beast Bugatti.

Improved a lot my times after 5 laps but not enough to enter bronze zone yet, ooooh that chicane, I don't like it...
Gran Turismo™ 7_20231209212746.jpg

Then again, I might spend 365 miles on a Saturday afternoon trying to get a slightly more decent time. I got there, but truly hated this combination, despite the car probably being great.

View attachment 1310337

As my creative juices run thin and I wanted to express my feelings about this TT, I asked my friend William* to help out. Here is his effort.

Alas, the wretched Kyoto Driving Park, a bane,
In Bugatti VGT, a trial so cruel,
Its twists and turns, my spirit it did drain,
My lap time, a mockery, I played the fool.

The VGT, a beast I could not tame,
Its power and speed, a challenge too great,
In Gran Turismo 7, a cruel game,
At Kyoto's track, I met my woeful fate.

The clock, a relentless, unforgiving foe,
Each turn, a reminder of time misspent,
My hatred for this trial, it continues to grow,
A sonnet of woe, for hours I've lamented.

Oh, Kyoto Driving Park, a place of despair,
In Bugatti VGT, I found no solace there.

* Sonnet not by the real William Shakespeare, but an AI impersonator
This is the proof..... that combo makes you do things... 🤣
Very deep..... and very true 🤣🤣👍👍

I did a few evening laps on WG again cause the Bugatti stays in the garage for now, but could not get to my old PB, had several .7xx laps, and a few 6xx with an optimum of mid 5xx ....

So few corners....so much room for error 🤣

Hey, I know that feeling of running the first few laps, no reference, no ghost, thinking 'that was solid, lets see where I land on the board"....thud. Happens every time; work to do....

I did manage to improve after that. I'm 0.13 off gold (atm) in the bugatti. Dang. Gonna be difficult for me, not sure where I'm going to get those fractions. Pretty sure I closed my eyes through the second chicane. That, or I blacked out, because I can't remember it.

Hey, I know that feeling of running the first few laps, no reference, no ghost, thinking 'that was solid, lets see where I land on the board"....thud. Happens every time; work to do....

I did manage to improve after that. I'm 0.13 off gold (atm) in the bugatti. Dang. Gonna be difficult for me, not sure where I'm going to get those fractions. Pretty sure I closed my eyes through the second chicane. That, or I blacked out, because I can't remember it.
The car is stickier than you would think. Check out my lap time above. There are corners that I have never taken out flat out before this car.

You are still save @Dolph Drago , I tried for an hour his morning, turned all things of exept for car things and blasted for an hour following @Metalgear9493 not knowing what my time would be when my hour session would close...
Total fastest was .536 with an optimum of well.....536 so no PB for me and the 1:20.527 still stands, I'm seriously questioning if I'm able to get into the 4xx cause the miracle lap just doesn't come, still place 49, so I think I'll end below 72 😁🤣🎊🥳

I looked lap of @Hiropairippu and taking first chicane in fifth, which is not easy to handle.
He has 42.1 split time, while my best is 43.3

...maybe to see if you can pass T2 in fifth while carrying a lot of speed. You are downshifting there to third.
"As per my previous reply to you..." 😁

But hey, you are making improvement after improvement, you will have it soon, keep pushing!

There seems to be a lot of hate for Kyoto. I get that the chicanes can be frustrating, but that Bugatti is such a dream to drive. The sound, the grip, the drop-dead gorgeous look…

IMG_3703.jpeg

It helps that I have always been good with high downforce cars. Currently at 1:16.183 good for 54th place.

Still not good enough to match @djolliea of course.

Last edited:
Back