Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,570 comments
After 317km (that's very very rare distance that I can do), I managed to go under 1:20, I posted 1:19.846

For me, after looking replay, this is looking on edge...!
How's then guys are doing 1:15?

Where can I improve?

It's pretty good lap honestly. What was mentioned today here is one word that sounded a bit more than others, momentum. I think you have good gears in many places, maybe to see if you can pass T2 in fifth while carrying a lot of speed. You are downshifting there to third.
Would ghost help you? I have one 1:16.8** and one 1:17.2**
(My gears are not the best ones, use my ghost just to try to keep same distance to it. I downshift sometimes just because I use motion sensor steering and in gr1 cars it don't turn enough so I try to trick the car, but then I am losing some time because of that.)
1000016637.jpg

Wait... Are you on motion sensor steering too?
Yes, it's much more fluent than using the sticks, nowhere near as fast as you though (except for the snow licences 😉)

I really need to get back on the wheel, but with the kitten chewing cables I'm avoiding it for now 😂
I saw a few replays of the fastest times in the leaderboard. I noticed those users/drivers are able to brake later & more efficiently enough to make the corner. I'm aware of engine braking but I do that as well.
I thought this until I switched off ABS and it made such a difference to braking points, you just have to ease off them much smoother.

But sometimes having ABS on weak can also make things easier.

Last edited:
I can do this, but given we have around 100 players I will do it only where someone directly asks me for it.

Is this the sort of thing you had in mind?

View attachment 1309416
Exactly what I meant, thanks for looking into that and I fully agree that this is more of a curiosity thing than something that needs to be there for all of us. Speaking of which - would you mind creating one for my results?

Wow well done, I would be more than happy to get such amazing score here (I'm still in silver)!
Watkins isn't an easy track and it's very easy to lose tens or more on the way.
BRAVO!
Thanks a lot mate!

I see in your signature that you're using automatic transmission. You have probably heard this before and probably have your reasons. Learning manual will do wonders for your pace.

Hum, it's not an easy one, not many corners and not a long lap, but still 2 corners are very hard to nail. Turn 2, I always brake a bit, can't make it when just letting the gas off.

View attachment 1309729
Preach! I found T2 to be quite horrible, probably aborted my lap on 9 out of 10 attempts, and when I did somehow make it, I would abort 9 out of 10 laps on the second chicane. They're both bastards, I tell you!

I have to create your personal results to create the graph, so here are both. Broad Bean is indeed a lighthouse!

Thanks a bunch! You can tell a couple things here. The TT9 Corvette at Watkins Glen was pure hell going up the esses using automatic. That was it for my 30 years with that method, and I made the switch to manual at that point. My results got a little bit better following that, but I was still adjusting to it. Then you can see I really caught the bug at TT20 and I started to put in a lot more effort. I stopped settling for gold and stopping. I wanted more. And what fun it's been (usually)! :dopey: Broad Bean was horrendous on controller as evidenced here.
Pffff first meters in the Bugatti..... I have one word......."dislike" 🤣🤣 And very hard on controller!...... this is indeed gold and run for me .... at 17.507 now, certainly not going to grind this one, everybody their own 🤣
I'm right there with you, my friend. My first attempt today resulted in a 1:17.686. I have to drop into 4th for turn 2 and dab the brakes ever so slightly before entering. Trying TheKie's method of only lifting and staying in 5th sent me right off track every time. It simply isn't doable with controller. The esses midway through the course are difficult to get through, as well. I accidentally dropped it into 3rd while entering on one lap, all while revving the crap out of the engine through the entire section, only to easily set my best time through there! I never could copy that sector. :confused: Also, how in the world do you know when to accelerate out of the final turn? Sometimes I nail it, other times I have to lift on exit as I realize I'm going to end up in the grass otherwise.
It's alright for the first day. Kinda hoping I can get into the 1.5%, but the chicanes said no 🤪

View attachment 1309746
Have fun up front! I think @Gomario JSP, myself, and the rest of us plebs on controller aren't going to be able to put up much of a fight. Well, except maybe @NAXEHT. :lol:
1650464937244-png.1140252

@half_sourly what is highest ever placement for someone on controller? I mean @NAXEHT on controller made lap out of this world placing P12 just behind all mighty @djolliea, on steering wheel, who ended on P11.
As far as I'm aware, multiple WRs have been done on a controller. Most recent one being from the time trial that just ended last night.

Thanks a bunch! You can tell a couple things here. The TT9 Corvette at Watkins Glen was pure hell going up the esses using automatic. That was it for my 30 years with that method, and I made the switch to manual at that point. My results got a little bit better following that, but I was still adjusting to it. Then you can see I really caught the bug at TT20 and I started to put in a lot more effort. I stopped settling for gold and stopping. I wanted more. And what fun it's been (usually)! :dopey: Broad Bean was horrendous on controller as evidenced here.

I'm right there with you, my friend. My first attempt today resulted in a 1:17.686. I have to drop into 4th for turn 2 and dab the brakes ever so slightly before entering. Trying TheKie's method of only lifting and staying in 5th sent me right off track every time. It simply isn't doable with controller. The esses midway through the course are difficult to get through, as well. I accidentally dropped it into 3rd while entering on one lap, all while revving the crap out of the engine through the entire section, only to easily set my best time through there! I never could copy that sector. :confused: Also, how in the world do you know when to accelerate out of the final turn? Sometimes I nail it, other times I have to lift on exit as I realize I'm going to end up in the grass otherwise.

Have fun up front! I think @Gomario JSP, myself, and the rest of us plebs on controller aren't going to be able to put up much of a fight. Well, except maybe @NAXEHT. :lol:

The mudway esses are a mighty pain to get through. It almost feel like I'm playing curbs bouncing lottery every time. I've only been able to get it sorta right like 1 in 5 or 6 tries.

I haven't done the Time Trials much lately. Since the last update added weekly races and I don't have a lot of time to play the TTs have been left by the wayside. Now that school is over for a bit, I have more time to play, and decided to head back in there and get that sweet sweet TT money.

The Alpine at Watkins Glen was a fun one, and only took about 5 laps to get a 121.816, which should hold up for Gold.

The Bugatti VGT at Miyabi however was not fun at all. I'm not the biggest fan of the VGT group (and at least we can see out of the Bugatti in VR), but this combo highlights some of the things that can make a TT a chore. It's mainly just the track abuse aspect of it, because while I realize that track limits are always going to be exploited, when it becomes "jump this high downforce car over the grass and curbs just right for the quickest time" it kinda stops feeling like a driving challenge and more like just a video game. I also thought I needed a 1:17.3 something for gold when I only needed a 1:17.883, so I was in gold range long before it stopped being fun. I put probably 40 laps in to get a 1:17.376, and likely only completed half of them or less.

It's pretty rare that I don't fully enjoy my time with GT7, but this one was frustrating and I'm glad it's done!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot mate!

I see in your signature that you're using automatic transmission.
Yes Sir :)
You have probably heard this before and probably have your reasons.
Learning manual will do wonders for your pace.
You are definitely right but that's not the point for me. I play for fun, to relax, not to torture myself with a manual gear box :D I'm probably a bit lazy too because my real cars also have automatic transmission ^^.
So I know I'm less faster but it's ok, I'm very comfortable with my pace.

Oooh.....here is someone we haven't seen for a while!
Hello Mr @Evilmuffin ;) It's good to take time to come back for the funny side of the game and to see again these friendly faces --> 👽....

Last edited:

Great progression, inspiring! I have no illusions to ever join your club of Controller Aliens but it is good to see what is possible.

You are definitely right but that's not the point for me. I play for fun, to relax, not to torture myself with a manual gear box :D I'm probably a bit lazy too because my real cars also have automatic transmission ^^.
So I'm know I'm less faster but it's ok, I'm very comfortable with my pace.
That's fine and the most important anyways. Enjoy your game your way.

I definitely found the new TT more difficult to hit gold than Watkins. I tried a lot of things on the final turn but even tho it felt slower, staying on 6th was the only way I could hit 1:17s

@Tidgney ghost was the my key to success tonight set at +.5 and restart each sector 👍
Couldn’t find a good line for the final turn until I followed 😁
Thanks 🙏

IMG_6266.jpeg

Yes it's horrible this one, i wanted to have a solid gold so i can leave it at that, that worked so i am officialy done with it now.
It just doesn't flow, T2 is nuts and indeed a roulette, i kan stay in 5th and exit now at around 210/211 km/h but it's just nasty and NOT realy durable for the Dualsense.

Then the sweepchicane...... yeah, what to say about it... i hate it, doesn't flow and a lottery 1/10...

Then the final turn...., 6 is faster, just lift and coast along the curb , eyes closed and full send pray that you won't mow lawn on the exit... :lol: :lol:

So i did one stint this morning of an hour with a thousand restarts but finaly sub 17 it,

Gold... check.... run.....

Have fun with this one guys.... i'm out :lol::lol:

18c4851b22945-screenshotUrl.jpg

@Pesselles , Welcome back mate!, :) :)

Last edited:
@half_sourly what is highest ever placement for someone on controller? I mean @NAXEHT on controller made lap out of this world placing P12 just behind all mighty @djolliea, on steering wheel, who ended on P11.
As far as I'm aware, multiple WRs have been done on a controller. Most recent one being from the time trial that just ended last night.
I didn't spend too much time on this, but removing people who use wheel only and keeping those who said they alternate wheel and controller, here is the list. If D.Chafe (PRiMA_Damian) is on a controller, then as @Doodle said, the answer would be #1. You choose your weapon and you hone your skill.
GTP Name#Top100Best ever place
Blayney
5​
NAXEHT
18​
Barareklam
4​
Grimm6Jack
3​
Exosum
2​
Nebuc72