Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,838 comments
IMG_9186.JPG

Pace isn't amazing here... too much traffic...

intro-1565121726.jpg

Tried yesterday for 30min to get a clean lap on Fuji on my alt account. Failed at that because i always wanted too much instead of taking it slower. That bollard in Turn 3 has become my arch nemesis in this game 😅

On a side note.. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered myself a DD Pro 8NM and a CSL Cockpit. Gonna be interesting to see if I can adept and how long it will take me to reach my times with the pad (if I can do it at all) 🙈
Fun times ahead! As someone who recently (~2 months) moved from controller (after a bazillion years) to a logi pro wheel and pedals, you should adapt pretty quick. I actually golded my first TT on the wheel, I wasn't expecting that. But... I would guess that, at the moment, I am only about 95% as quick as I was (purely a subjective feeling, no data to support it). The margin for my golds are a bit narrower and I've missed a couple of the hard ones that I thought I shoudl have had. However, the fun factor has increased by quite a bit!

I actually started a second account just to go through the license tests on the wheel with a clean slate. Good practice there.

And now that reminds me - @half_sourly - I suppose you could change my icon to wheel whenever you are next in the configs. No worries however, thanks for everything you already do!

I actually started a second account just to go through the license tests on the wheel with a clean slate. Good practice there.
Best move in my opinion.

When anyone makes a major adjustment in peripherals - controller to wheel, flat screen to VR, etc. - re-doing things like licenses, circuit experience and missions is (IMHO) the best way to adjust before racing alongside other drivers. It gives you both a benchmark to measure yourself against as well as a safe environment to learn and adjust.

Didn't think about doing that all over but that's actually a great idea 👍

Got a email 1hour ago that it's already shipped and will be delivered tomorrow.. But I have to wait until wednesday to even start setting it up. Gonna be a nervous wreck at work on wednesday 😂

Got a email 1hour ago that it's already shipped and will be delivered tomorrow.. But I have to wait until wednesday to even start setting it up. Gonna be a nervous wreck at work on wednesday 😂
ha, my wheel was delivered on a friday and the rig didn't show up until a tuesday! Torture..,

Fun times ahead! As someone who recently (~2 months) moved from controller (after a bazillion years) to a logi pro wheel and pedals, you should adapt pretty quick. I actually golded my first TT on the wheel, I wasn't expecting that. But... I would guess that, at the moment, I am only about 95% as quick as I was (purely a subjective feeling, no data to support it). The margin for my golds are a bit narrower and I've missed a couple of the hard ones that I thought I shoudl have had. However, the fun factor has increased by quite a bit!

And now that reminds me - @half_sourly - I suppose you could change my icon to wheel whenever you are next in the configs. No worries however, thanks for everything you already do!

When I moved from controller to wheel (G923/pedals) I was shocked just how rubbish I was. It took me a few weeks to get back to controller level and then beyond. I found some car categories more difficult than others, high downforce and Gr1 took longest to adapt to because the steering input has to be perfect, steering too much causes massive understeer and huge losses in grip and pace; which is amplified by the lower powered feedback wheels as you can feel it so easily (I had to go mainly by tyre squeal and/or going straight on into the gravel before I upgraded to the G Pro)

It’s a huge step in immersion but is a shock just how hard it is at first.

When I moved from controller to wheel (G923/pedals) I was shocked just how rubbish I was. It took me a few weeks to get back to controller level and then beyond. I found some car categories more difficult than others, high downforce and Gr1 took longest to adapt to because the steering input has to be perfect, steering too much causes massive understeer and huge losses in grip and pace; which is amplified by the lower powered feedback wheels as you can feel it so easily (I had to go mainly by tyre squeal and/or going straight on into the gravel before I upgraded to the G Pro)

Im Scared GIF by HULU

No it's actually what I am expecting. Never used a wheel so it's gonna be though and probably shocking but I'm super exited and have all the time in the world to learn and get better 🙃

New test in Sardegna and improve my time to 1'46'973 at 1'46'945 🤣🤣🤣 very very little improvement !!!!
View attachment 1374583
Yeah! One time, just one time let one of the constant faster guys stay behind me! Don't you have something else to do for the next 3 days. ;) Haven't looked at the leaderboard though if someone who considers themselves fast, please don't see any respectlessness in this post. ;)

Yeah! One time, just one time let one of the constant faster guys stay behind me! Don't you have something else to do for the next 3 days. ;) Haven't looked at the leaderboard though if someone who considers themselves fast, please don't see any respectlessness in this post. ;)
1000001531.gif

Don't worry, I really don't take it badly !!! 🤣🤣 If it can reassure you I work until 4 p.m. and then I have 1.5 hours free to improve this time !!!! 🤣🤣🤣 so everything is possible....

190dba229de7-screenshotUrl.jpg

Another frustrating 10 laps. Sometimes I gain time in the beginning of the lap (T1) losing some in T4-T5, gain a bit in T6, but after that, T9, 12, 13, 14, I am bleeding time. T15 depends, I gain in general, but never enough to compensate for what I lost, mainly on 12-13-14.

0.002 improvement in S2, great ! 🙄

At least only one red lap (touched the wall at T9)

Medium/10 laps a bit improved.

Last edited:
Im Scared GIF by HULU

No it's actually what I am expecting. Never used a wheel so it's gonna be though and probably shocking but I'm super exited and have all the time in the world to learn and get better 🙃
I don't want to put more disorder in your head 🤣🤣🤯🤯 , but compared to @Dan_Tes , as far as I'm concerned it's the opposite. I find it easier with the Gr4, Gr.3, Gr.2 (perhaps less the Gr.1) than with so-called normal cars. Maybe because I only drove Gr. on GT Sport. I have difficulty with these so-called normal cars with the steering wheel, especially when braking because they slip a lot more than with the joystick. But as said @Dan_Tes , it's really difficult at the beginning. But you'll see it really has nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
Tried yesterday for 30min to get a clean lap on Fuji on my alt account. Failed at that because i always wanted too much instead of taking it slower. That bollard in Turn 3 has become my arch nemesis in this game 😅

On a side note.. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered myself a DD Pro 8NM and a CSL Cockpit. Gonna be interesting to see if I can adept and how long it will take me to reach my times with the pad (if I can do it at all) 🙈
I have this setup. You are going to really enjoy it. If you bought the seat they sell you'll want an old man pillow (I got a nice memory foam one shaped like a rear end) but other than that it's awesome. Adjustability is really good considering it's so compact and it's very rigid. More rigid than any car I've ever driven in the real world, honestly. Can't wait to hear what you think of it. Also, get a slider on Amazon for the seat. You can thank me later.

Also I've only owned a wheel for a year and my progress has been pretty awesome as far as I'm concerned, so don't sweat the curve just enjoy the hell out of it. I certainly do.

Last edited:
I'm on wheel since ps4, "recently" had to upgrade to fanatec csl because my g29 died..again, and because I could buy one a lot cheaper from my friend. Even that switch made me lose some speed, not that I had many ;) after almost a year I'm still at learning process - load cell doesn't like full brake, I can steer some cars more forcefully - i think that I learned a lot more in last couple of months, since becoming active in this thread, about driving my rig than by myself.
Coming back to trialing.. tonight session, fat 200km of lfa. Was 0.007 into gold at some point and decided to push. This lap.. well, having some gap to my best time I totally effedup s2 hairpin and from that moment I went all in.. and nailed the rest of lap.. at least in comparison with whole session. Maybe I'll come back tomorrow, but I doubt that I will find that edge again.
Also noticed switch on super formula leaderboard.. still in gold but don't think it'll hold
1000017815.jpg
1000017816.jpg

Oh and my personal leaderboard.. again in front of mr. @Pesselles . Gonna brag while I can and while tt combos doesn't suit him :P because He is faster than me anyway

Last edited:
I'm on wheel since ps4, "recently" had to upgrade to fanatec csl because my g29 died..again, and because I could buy one a lot cheaper from my friend. Even that switch made me lose some speed, not that I had many ;) after almost a year I'm still at learning process - load cell doesn't like full brake, I can steer some cars more forcefully - i think that I learned a lot more in last couple of months, since becoming active in this thread, about driving my rig than by myself.
Coming back to trialing.. tonight session, fat 200km of lfa. Was 0.007 into gold at some point and decided to push. This lap.. well, having some gap to my best time I totally effedup s2 hairpin and from that moment I went all in.. and nailed the rest of lap.. at least in comparison with whole session. Maybe I'll come back tomorrow, but I doubt that I will find that edge again.
Also noticed switch on super formula leaderboard.. still in gold but don't think it'll hold
Yeah, that's impressive how fast you are!! Ans these gold rewards are totally deserved. Well done!!
Oh and my personal leaderboard.. again in front od mr. @Pesselles . Gonna brag while I can and while tt combos doesn't suit him :P because He is faster than me anyway
I Dont Think So No Way GIF

Day 1 at Sardegna

Reading posts here I didn't even turn one corner in AT with this TT.
It wasn't the case of "gold in first lap" obviously - it's an alien thing.
More like, gold in 41 laps (and just barely), then the next 40 laps I chipped off that time hundredth by hundredth and lastly some handsome tenth (or two) to arrive with this result...

TT-SardegnaLexus-almost.jpg

It should be perfectly safe gold.
Let's try to drop it even more as the exit from the "church" corner was pretty horrible here, so there's a margin to improve.

@tmtk Awesome time and funny ranking. It's full of 2's. Can you break records using a pad or automatic gears? I know you told me a while back the wheel did not work out for you.

Last edited:
Well, my friends, it was a looong weekend. First time being a groomsman in a friend's wedding, so that was fun. It also meant I was pretty tired when I got home yesterday evening, so today was the first time I hopped on GT since Wednesday. 4 days gone and already 12 pages behind in this thread. Goodness gracious! :lol: I'm jumping to the end of the thread and will eventually make my way back through the pages missed (maybe lol). I think a couple of people quoted one of my posts. I'll check those out first.

It's too bad the LFA TT is only going to be a week long. It's a more difficult car to drive, which means more fun in my book. First attempt before watching any guides. I think I can get into the low 1:46's, but my tries will be limited thanks to the shortened event.
IMG_3386.jpg

One trial that I cannot stand and 1 that I wish went for more than 1 week. :ouch:

Put a final time down at Fuji over the weekend of 1:20.649 which places me 247th currently. I really hate driving Fuji, and I'm not a huge fan of the Super Formula either so this was a nightmare of a trial. The amount of time I lose to the #1 time in the final sector is downright embarrassing, probably 8 tenths lost just in that 1 sector. The session was really inconsistent, I was struggling to put down any 2 laps within 4 tenths of each other, and the track limits was a nightmare on top of that. The Super Formula is extremely torquey, but using 4th gear on corner exit is only viable if you're able to carry enough speed through the corner, so its either use 3rd and get wheel spin and snap oversteer or use 4th and get a sluggish exit. Not putting in another session at this nightmare.

Put in 2 sessions with the LFA at Sardegna, first was a banker just to get gold in case I wasn't able to set an actual time and the second a full on session. Currently 311th with a 1:46.337, although there is plenty of time left in that lap. This car sounds absolutely incredible and is a joy to drive, only wish it was slightly more stable under heavy braking. Unfortunately from now until the end of October I'm not gonna have a whole lot of time to do time trials anymore, so not sure how many more top 100s I'll achieve for a few months. Hopefully I'm able to put in at least 1 more session this week and see how high up the leaderboard I can get.

190dcf74b6834-5860CCEE9BB8289971F.63A216EF17404752_message_440744949203826_1721659957827.jpg

True, lots of fast players still use X/[] I believe, take @Dolph Drago for example, he only recently switched, he threw some real punches at the leaderboard where I couldn't even get near him.
I tended to be ahead of you when I was using that configuration. Yet now, despite my switch, you usually beat me fairly easily. I've improved seeing my global results week to week, but you've made a crazy fast transformation into essentially an alien. 👽
I filtered Digit's fancy new stats site by B-rated drivers (yes, I know they are meaningless for those of us who don't do dailies and just did some races to get the medals, but still) and lookie here. Local heroes @Gomario JSP @Dolph Drago and @Evilmuffin all top 15 globally.

View attachment 1373905
Wow! :eek: Funny that the three of us that have been fighting it out pretty hard and give each other a friendly ribbing from time to time would be together amongst the fastest B drivers out there. Or at least those that time trial. Well done, @Gomario JSP and @Evilmuffin!

I think I ran about 3 online races in GT Sport but haven't run once since. I don't know how good my race craft would be considering how long it's been. Racing around others as opposed to just trying to put down perfect laps solo are two completely different animals.

Welp, I'm back from vacation and feel like I lost all my muscle memory for this game... athough there was much seat time on some pretty amazing roads in a wonderful little 6-MT GTI!

pamelo gti.jpeg

I only had a couple hours to get into the Willow Springs TT on the night it ended and it took a looong time for me to even get into silver range. I managed gold after taking a look at one of the top replays to see what gears others were using (don't use second!) and found myself into a gold not long after... but wow! The GTP leader board was on FIRE in this one! I would have never expected a slidey, car control heavy event to be the one that everyone would excel at but here we are. It also looks like over the course of the week @330_D decided to become one of the resident aliens... so much for a "time buddy", you're long gone now!

im-out-goodbye.gif

There were a LOT of PBs Willow Springs too! Congrats to everyone on their stellar performances!

Today I was able quickly knock out all of the weeklies and spend a lot of time at Fuji and a little at Sardegna.

Fuji has been a challenge for me, made all the worse by @Tidgney labeling it as "easy", haha. I usually don't have an issue with ones he labels as hard, but the SF23 had me sweating to get into gold range. I'm currently sitting at an ok 1:21.410 but that's with a huge moment coming out of the turn 6 hairpin and after 30 or so laps I just haven't been able to clean it up. Don't know if I'll have time to fly to Japan again any time soon...

Also put in a few laps in the LFA, which I love. I don't think this layout of Sardegna particularly suits it, but it's a good TT. Too bad it will only get half the life of the others. I'm not even in gold here yet, 1:48.014, but I haven't scratched the surface yet.

I still won't have much time for GT in the next couple of weeks, so my skills will keep withering on the vine for now, but you all keep dong what you do! I think the leader board here is as fast as it's ever been!

Last edited:
Morning Folks,

No time here to congratulate you all on your times on those nerveracking trials!
And for me bo more time to put in 😭🤣
I'm off to the Land of baguette, boeuf bourguignon and fruit du mer !

I wish you all lots of fun with that upcomming update, and ill check the thread regularely from my beachbed 🤪🤪

Have fun guys, I'm out! 🤣

Back