Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,673 comments
On another note @Famine - how come post links always show the wrong post text on them?
It fetches the text of the top post on the page that the linked post appears, as far as I know.

@Jordan's the man to ask; I just write stuff and occasionally spank people.

Edit: Oh great, now anyone linking to a post on this page will have "I just write stuff and occasionally spank people" showing in the link:

Last edited:
I am not very fast driver or anything like that. But I am(was) comfortable getting golds in online time trials. Currently, I have around 54 consecutive golds and it's usually doesn't take much time for me to get one with a safe margin(around 2-2.5%). But this AMG on Laguna Seca is something else. After 1 hour of trying I was almost 1 second off, I was doing much better with "Reb Bull + Road Atlanta" or "McLaren VGT + Suzuka". I am 0.6-0.7 away from gold now, and I am sure I'll be fine, but MY GOD what is going on?

Had another go with the Merc before dinner but man im still having a real hard time with it, I just don't feel it....yeah...I feel it's heavy 🤣
I just cant seem to find good rotation on T3 and T4, switching between ABS weak and default doesn't seem to be a real big difference?
Then there is the breakingpoint for the corckscrew....braking has become alot harder in general imo (on pad) and braking for the corckscrew is a good example..... hit or miss at the moment, this is realy going to take some miles for me to get used to this combo on these physics 🤔

Took me ages to get I to the 20's ......

View attachment 1382325
Oh,
Suger
Honey
Ice
Tea

I'm barely in the gold now....and I don't particularly feel like redoing it 🙈 Heck....I don't even feel like doing the Clio TT again...just don't feel like grinding lately 🫠

Hi,

@Vule...

"I still don't quite understand the understeer on the Laguna TT, but ok, slowly chipping away.".... Laps a 1:20:6xx!!!

I think this is probably due to the difference in gravitational forces applied to all things on your home planet, compared to the same forces applied to all of us residents here on earth.

Alien! 😳

My very best regards to all here.

Ian.

Forget Mount panorama, The Porsche is where its at and again I am improving tenfold or shud I say a couple of tenths!! Muwhahaah lol.

Gran Turismo™ 7_20240819201829.jpg

Laps a 1:20:6xx!!!
1724103634421.jpg

Small improvement, enough for tonight, my shoulders are killing me.

Following some top ghosts, I'm right there in the first sector, I'm right there until the fast left hander before Corkscrew, then they gain couple of tenths, and the Corkscrew I cannot comprehend, I lose so much time even if I get it right (or think I got it right), the ghosts fly away in those few hundred meters, and then again I'm right there in the last 3 corners, I lose maybe a tenth.

All in all, if I could go through the Corkscrew at least decently, compared to the top ghosts... I could maybe... Possibly... Go into the 19s, but that will probably not happen. And that would still be a full gigantic second behind the WR, on a relatively short lap, that's massive.

Seeing the gold time for Laguna Seca TT slowly keep dropping down and having to improve by about half a tenth every session is like a game of table tennis here - it’s becoming a tad fast to keep up so my previous 1:21.308 was suddenly a hundredth of a second outside of Gold…

…fortunately I managed a 1:21.255 although it easily could have been a 1:21.1xx (maybe even a 1:21.0xx) so let’s see what holds and what doesn’t.

This is what I call the “Kaizen” time trial (for those who don’t know what “Kaizen” means, it simply means continuous improvement - something Toyota are fond for applying in their manufacturing methods).

BWX
Thanks but you're not that far from gold. Load up my ghost and chase me down! Auto transmission on a controller is very doable.

View attachment 1382391
Well I'm sticking with what's best for me, thank you BWX. I'll use your ghost this weekend. This is where I have to learn from scratch instead for asking others. It's my responsibility so, I'll have to write notes, use ghosts and watch the best replays I can get. That is the key for gold. I'm gonna continue to have fun here as long as I'm able too, this is a wonderful site and community. Even though some got irritated with me about my posts, they still gave me advice even though they didn't have to. So, I need to acknowledge that more. Thank you for the replay.

Wow man that's great, you're under the top 60!! Congratz. Yeah, those last two turns at Bathhurst are lap killers. But I don't think it matters, you're four seconds below the gold time so you should be safe captain! I'm going for the gold this weekend, I mean I may as well while I have the opportunity. I'll use the advice and that map you gave me last night, thanks again for your help, :)

@Dolph Drago

Last edited:
Oh no! This Smurf on Mount Panorama is 3 tenth faster than the rest, puts me to 2,79% and is to me a clear indication that faster top times are out there.

Danger! You guys told me but i didn't want to hear and was hoping too much.

@Pesselles put down a faster time as well.
So i had to go back!
1000022050.jpg

Now i feel a bit better. :)
1000022051.jpg

A good deal better, you could even say. :D

Oh no! This Smurf on Mount Panorama is 3 tenth faster than the rest, puts me to 2,79% and is to me a clear indication that faster top times are out there.

Danger! You guys told me but i didn't want to hear and was hoping too much.

@Pesselles put down a faster time as well.
So i had to go back!
View attachment 1382418
Now i feel a bit better. :)
View attachment 1382419
A good deal better, you could even say. :D
Holy cow Alex, what a smart and very nice move. BRAVO my friend !!
You're absolutly right, I must protect my reward and my ranking now... :mischievous:

I still think you can gain 2 tenths looking at that leaderboard 😉
I'm not sure how I must understand this.... "advice" :odd::irked::lol:

Last edited:
Oh,
Suger
Honey
Ice
Tea

I'm barely in the gold now....and I don't particularly feel like redoing it 🙈 Heck....I don't even feel like doing the Clio TT again...just don't feel like grinding lately 🫠
I can relate, especially for the Clio....I think it just takes to long of a lap to only screw the last corner , I know I can get into the 30's but it's the Merc that irritates me and no friends with yet.... 🤣.
Into the 2:30's at Bathurst! :dopey: But I lost some time in the final chicane.

I played chicken with the right hander before The Dipper. :scared:

Nice job mate!, very decsent lap!
Congrats, that should hold a top 100 😁🎊🥳

... but it's the Merc that irritates me and no friends with yet.... 🤣.
I would guess it is physics update that makes it for some of us, and we need to get used to it, because pattern I see on some of "usually around P100 drivers" is that some can get alien times on one TT and then be P1000 on other one. But your first reaction after vacation was "what was that, how you guys got used to physics so quickly" and then 2 days after that, Alien time. Now it is AMG but you will figure it out in a day or two and drop your time with half a second, we all know that. As Vule said, most of the track is not so difficult at all, corkscrew on the other hand is mystery :embarrassed:

I would guess it is physics update that makes it for some of us, and we need to get used to it, because pattern I see on some of "usually around P100 drivers" is that some can get alien times on one TT and then be P1000 on other one. But your first reaction after vacation was "what was that, how you guys got used to physics so quickly" and then 2 days after that, Alien time. Now it is AMG but you will figure it out in a day or two and drop your time with half a second, we all know that. As Vule said, most of the track is not so difficult at all, corkscrew on the other hand is mystery :embarrassed:
It's definitely the physics, and it just irritates me that I went from golding rather easy to need to fight for gold, but with the Clio you are right, and I got used to it pretty quickly.
The AMG is just a different story and I think it's all in the braking....
Until now it's taking me way more efford for not that much time profit 🤣
I tried for an hour this morning and went from 20.966 to 20.964 🙈🙈
I had a lot more laps around the 21 flat mark so I did make some progression though

Sometimes I just don't get it near the apex

My struggle lap 😁

I'm not with you on finding that half a second, but thanks for the motivation words mate 😁

Last edited:
The AMG is just a different story and I think it's all in the braking....
I think it might be in acceleration out of corners too, at least what I see in my lap video comparios Vs Kylian19, he is pulling away here and there, some corners 1 tenth, corcksrew 4 tenth... but when I start to accelerate that early I lose the grip and then more valuable time is lost...

Latest progress update.... Delighted with this improvement.

1916f17efaf68-screenshotUrl.jpg

Dropped my PB by 0.37s to move up from 190 to 104 on the leaderboard. Still using a controller. My previous overall TT best was 758 so I have a real chance of beating that I think.

My new top target is to try and break the top 100 and get my leaderboard alien badge, and secondary target is to get into the 1.30s. Will defo need to do the latter to achieve the former by next Thurs.

Entirely possible time wise as my sector 1 on this lap was at least 1/10th down, as was sector 2. Just stringing it all together is the issue, amazing how when on a mega lap sector wise I absolutely fart the chicane at the end of the straight when that is so utterly straightforward normally 😂😂

I use to clip a map of the track to the rig to recall me any important info that my red fish memory will not recall from session to session (i.e. the apex speed of a certain turn, the turning point, whatever....)

I found this site with all the maps of the tracks (https://gt-engine.com/gt7/tracks/track-maps.html).
Starting from there I downloaded all the images and punt in a doc file. It take 5 mins with a browser addon (I used downloadthemall!!! with firefox).

Since the web page is quite nice I hope it may be useful for any of you too

Had my sites set in a sub 31. Managed to put together a decent lap with a slowish sector 1 but PR sector 4.
IMG_2991.jpeg

I stuck with it and had my fastest times in sector 2 and 3 for a time that I won't approach again. Heart was a pounding for last sector! Very happy
IMG_2993.jpeg
IMG_2992.jpeg

Last edited:
Whoop whoop 🥳

View attachment 1382554

Finally got that 29. 😁
Already lost 0.1s at the first split and the rest of the lap wasn't perfect.
But with that 29,4 on top the dream of winning this is over i guess. 😂😂
Yeah....thats one fast smurf mate... 🤣🤣

But congrats on that 3th place mate, I'll hope it sticks!

#wheelusershavegotnothingonuscontrollerusers 🤣

Back