Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,763 comments
unless it's that Clio around MP it seems, about 5 laps got me there
Well you seem to have to work a bit less than me to get gold then šŸ˜… 5 laps barely got me into bronze.

But I am fine with that, I don't dedicate much time to GT7 and TTs (especially if there are 5 at the same time), I'll only push a bit more on a TT if I enjoy the combo AND can spare time for it.

And I am using AT as long as I'll be on a controller, there's a limit on how many fingers I can use simultaneaously šŸ˜ tried a wheel once and was really happy to delegate gas and brake to my feet, only having to turn the wheel, and 2 fingers who's only task was to click the speed paddles, was nice !

It generally takes me about an hour to set a safe silver time - something around the 4% range. Setting a safe gold time is likely a 3 hour affair for me minimum. UFOs tractor-beam me up, stamp "rejected" on my forehead and drop me back down into the corn field.

1.48.762 at Suzuka, the car feels easier to drive than the last year TT
IMG_20240827_163657.jpg

Also golded the Mercedes one the other day
IMG_20240827_163632.jpg

I did a sweep of Gold šŸ…šŸ˜‚
IMG_20240827_163716.jpg

IMG_20240827_163734.jpg

Hi folks!

The struggle continues to catch up on all the time trials we have been tasked with. Todayā€™s focus is the Merc at Laguna Seca, probably my favourite of all the trials on right now; perfect combination of speed and control for me! On Racing Softs too, am I in dreamland!? These cars handle so much better now, oversteer is more controllable, they donā€™t immediately spin into oblivion if not quite 100% on the track and tuck in nicely with a bit of braking. Nice!

Got my goal of a 1:19.xxx today but feel a little unsatisfied with the lap as a blistering start was let down with a slightly messy third sector (but we saved the oversteer at T11 weyhey!!). Probably another two tenths in the tank but I have to spread my time with the other trials over the next few days šŸ«£

Happy lapping everyone!!

IMG_8541.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi guys (and ....)

How is your day, afternoon, morning, evening?
Good? Good!

I'm considering to open an online shop to sell some remarquable optimals for Suzuka TT:

1724773531441.png

1724773559393.png

1724773583688.png

In one week, my optimals (not me) could reach the 1:49, so prices might higher.
I have plenty of these in stock, feel free to ask me for a quotation.
Best :)

PS: Ohh I'm still in 1:50.604, in case you're wondering...

Looks like Iā€™m now 2.91% off the top for the time trial featuring the Renault Clio @ Mt. Panorama - do you think itā€™ll stick, since that one expires this Thursday morning? Or should I panic and start trying to get a little deeper into gold range?

Last edited:
Looks like Iā€™m now 2.91% off the top for the time trial featuring the Renault Clio @ Mt. Panorama - do you think itā€™ll stick, since that one expires this Thursday morning? Or should I panic and start trying to get a little deeper into gold range?
I meant to ask the exact same question, just regarding Suzuka, so I guess it's only fair that I reply to your post first, but with the caveat that my estimate on what theoretically could be achieved won't amount to much so I'll leave that to better drivers here. But I would consider few things with the first being that there hasn't been that much competition for the number one spot, which I think is related to my second consideration. Currently there are 5 events to compete in and I would guesstimate that if you're one of the guys (or girls) who can fight for the top positions there are probably more interesting choices as some of the other events have bigger stakes involved than just bragging rights. So short answer is, my guess is as good as yours but the cutoff probably won't come down... by much. :)

But coming back to Suzuka I would also like to pose the question how much, if at all, do you guys reckon the gold time will come down? Seems many here have had a comfortable time on the combo, but personally I'm only 2 tenths into gold at the moment and pondering the same questions as MIE1992 here.

Another 5(+1) laps stint at MP. With a good improvement, but still 4 tenths from silver. I hope to enter the silver zone tomorrow šŸ¤ž

Tried 2 laps at Spa, and comfortably in bronze, not so far from silver but it'll need work and ends soon so... we'll see about that. I enjoy it more than the Clio at MP.

Hi guys (and ....)

How is your day, afternoon, morning, evening?
Good? Good!

I'm considering to open an online shop to sell some remarquable optimals for Suzuka TT:

View attachment 1384465

View attachment 1384466

View attachment 1384467

In one week, my optimals (not me) could reach the 1:49, so prices might higher.
I have plenty of these in stock, feel free to ask me for a quotation.
Best :)

PS: Ohh I'm still in 1:50.604, in case you're wondering...
For half price I sell non original @Pesselles branded optimals in 51s.
Excellent workmanship, indistinguishable from the real thing.

Amaze your lady with non-original optimals

Buy now

Limited time offer

Hi,

This game / simulator / form of enjoyment or entertainment / rabbit hole of time and money is beyond any doubt whatsoever, almost exquisite, in it's ability to drive one to the brink of despair!

I have been playing with traction control at Suzuka in the NSX. My throttle control requires some serious improvement ( as does my general car control and apexing to name but two! )

TC 0 for almost the whole lap. TC 1 for the hairpin and the last chicane before the start - finish line. It works for me. Tonights session was going oooohhhh so well. Chasing a well know contributor's ghost. Changing the TC level on the lap. I am over a second up on my best lap!

Having managed to get to the last chicane, so far ahead of my best lap, I forget to set TC 1 and spin out with only around 400 metres to go. Expletives are not allowed here so - Barbed wired! ****zu dogs and the Fukushima district of Japan!

If anyone is driving near Burnley in Lancashire and sees a pile of aluminium extrusion, some steering wheel kind of thing and some electronics by the side of the road... Take it home and have some fun!!!

Grrrrrrr!!!

Best regards to all here.

Ian.

Second session of the day and itā€™s back at Mount Panorama in the Clio. Not my favourite (Iā€™m with you here, @NAXEHT !) Sports Hard tyres and weight transfer raising their ugly heads again and I canā€™t buy the Clio anywhere it seems so no ugly colour scheme for such an ugly car (I owned a 182 Cup a few years ago, most overrated car of all time šŸ‘€šŸ¤£šŸ«£)

Anyways, itā€™s not without its charms but early throttle everywhere and some surprising amount of precision for something so soft and slow got the job done! I think itā€™s actually a fun car to drive as it slides surprisingly nicely (probably better than it does in real life!) but yeah not my favourite

I got very bored on the straights.

Anyways, happy with that although still not up there with the aliens on my friends list on this one!

RA272 at Spa tomorrow, honestly still traumatised from last time so Iā€™m sure itā€™ll give me nightmares tonight šŸ˜ˆšŸ˜ˆ

IMG_8551.jpeg
IMG_8552.jpeg

Last edited:
Welp. I'm glad I had this evening to do this. Hopefully it's enough to stick because I am a tenth better than my best ever optimals here with a miracle lap. It felt absolutely amazing to nail this whole track because it's been a real favorite and also nemesis of mine for as long as I've been at it. Such an amazing place but so very hateful as well. šŸ˜‚
191969c713144-screenshotUrl.jpg

Second session of the day and itā€™s back at Mount Panorama in the Clio. Not my favourite (Iā€™m with you here, @NAXEHT !) Sports Hard tyres and weight transfer raising their ugly heads again and I canā€™t buy the Clio anywhere it seems so no ugly colour scheme for such an ugly car (I owned a 182 Cup a few years ago, most overrated car of all time šŸ‘€šŸ¤£šŸ«£)

Anyways, itā€™s not without its charms but early throttle everywhere and some surprising amount of precision for something so soft and slow got the job done! I think itā€™s actually a fun car to drive as it slides surprisingly nicely (probably better than it does in real life!) but yeah not my favourite

I got very bored on the straights.

Anyways, happy with that although still not up there with the aliens on my friends list on this one!

RA272 at Spa tomorrow, honestly still traumatised from last time so Iā€™m sure itā€™ll give me nightmares tonight šŸ˜ˆšŸ˜ˆ

View attachment 1384517View attachment 1384518

Ah, so you're one of the six reasons my 57 fell to 63 overnight. Damn you :P

After a few days off I came back and had another go at the TTs. Starting with Mount Panorama in that lively little Renault. I was sitting on a low silver (3.26%) and the gold had moved significantly, so I wasn't sure if it would pan out for me. 5 laps later I managed a 2:33 flat, well into gold territory, and shockingly ahead of @Pesselles who's been well ahead of me on most recent events! I'm hoping that time stays put, as it'll also be my best finish (unless 300-odd people record better times and drop me further back in the rankings, which is entirely possible!!).

Then headed over to Laguna Seca to take the AMG GT3 '20 around that circuit for the first time. "Frustrating" is the word I'd use to describe that one! So many unintentional altercations with the sausages, finding it really tricky to find a rhythm here! Currently sitting with a silver time, but nothing to write home about...

Tonight I'll have another bash at Laguna Seca, then head over to Spa to record a time for the Honda TT. Not driven that car in a long time, and barely driven it at all in the past, so should be a steep learning curve! At least I know the circuit well...

New Suzuka session yesterday.
In the first corner I gained 3 tenths by braking better. The beginning of the braking now is half the distance from the beginning of the curb than before. The exit has also improved, about 10 kmh more and especially well at the apex.
At the first intermediate I improved by 3 tenths, although I left a couple on the road.
I found a lot of benefit in putting second before the last left turn of the snake (thanks @Gomario JSP, I saw it in your replay), both because it gains a little rotation and because it makes it easier for me to go full left on the next uphill
At Degner1 I positioned myself better. Here I get to within 7 tenths of my previous PB.
The spoon I did as poorly as last time, and the whole last part I can do much better.
All in all I improved by 5 tenths.

Too bad about the second part of the track, had I done it right I would have finished under 1.51

Here are my splits (the percentages are against Tidgney, not agaist WBest)
1724850762661.png

Yesterday I made a comical post about ideal times.
Now, seriously, often these ideal values mislead because they do not represent the theoretical limit, when rather a mathematical contrivance that is likely to come out of chance.
Already we sometimes talk about the golden lap, that near-perfect lap that we can never repeat again, if instead we give credit to ideal spits we risk ending up in the frankenstein territory of golden sectors.

Unfortunately, I have an hard time processing in real time when I see a good split while driving and associating it with something specific I've done that may justify it, unless I'm trying something on porpuse. I have a much better skill figuring out what went wrong with a not-so-good split. And this inability is all the greater the more I am driving fast cars.

All this is to say that I think a slower but repeatable time is worth more than a great time that is the result of chance or hardly repeatable.

That's going to be a hard one!, but I must say..... I think I am going to like that! ,
Funny thing is dat I had a look in the UCD this morning searching for the M3 ( which I forgot to buy apparently) .....and I saw that weird green/goldish one and couldn't resist buying it.... (probably the 4 murcielago or something ) šŸ¤£šŸ¤£..... going to be tough on the ears with the headphones šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

That's going to be a hard one!, but I must say..... I think I am going to like that! ,
Funny thing is dat I had a look in the UCD this morning searching for the M3 ( which I forgot to buy apparently) .....and I saw that weird green/goldish one and couldn't resist buying it.... (probably the 4 murcielago or something ) šŸ¤£šŸ¤£..... going to be tough on the ears with the headphones šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I may be mistaken, but I think the colors for any cars newer than 2000 are all available for purchase at any time in Brand Central are they not? I always try and limit my buys from the UCD to cars older than 2000 for that reason. I know I can save a few credits by buying used, but somehow the "luster" of acquiring the different colors is diminished for the newer cars by them being in Brand Central all the time anyway...

Last edited:
There's something really depressing about fighting at my absolute limit to get within .3 of gold at Laguna Seca knowing the aliens are going 2.5 seconds faster without really trying.
lol yeah I always get a kick out of the guys who stop into the thread here to comment that "I had a tough time with this one! Took me nearly ten laps!" and they post the pic of their time and it's like a 1.75% gold lap! :lol:

I may be mistaken, but I think the colors for any cars newer than 2000 are all available for purchase at any time in Brand Central are they not? I always try and limit my buys from the UCD to cars older than 2000 for that reason. I know I can save a few credits by buying used, but somehow the "luster" of acquiring the different colors is diminished for the newer cars by them being in Brand Central all the time anyway...
Correct. And, same. :cheers:

There's something really depressing about fighting at my absolute limit to get within .3 of gold at Laguna Seca knowing the aliens are going 2.5 seconds faster without really trying.
It's definitely not at all without trying. I think it's believed that some people are just naturally good at it and while there are a few who truly seem to be aliens, there are many who work very very hard to get in that upper echelon.

Edit to add: I'm not sure where it comes from but throughout my life I've heard it takes 10k hours to be a master of a thing. I'm a tradesman and have a skill that I've been working at for the better part of the last 20 years and I still have a long ways to go... I have tried to count the hours I've put in and I reached somewhere around 19k a few years back by all estimates. I still don't consider myself an expert. I learn things most every time I go to work. So, just keep that in mind when you feel frustrated.

Last edited:
Wow, Murcielago at Monza, I hope it will be at sunset, can't wait to drive that in VR :cool:
aliens are going 2.5 seconds faster without really trying.
Not really, we just discussed several pages ago, top time at Spa took a week and 5 hours a day just grinding that to nail the perfect lap. Also, Kylian said that he drove something like 2000km to achieve that time at Laguna Seca. Yes, they can nail the gold lap in 3-5 minutes, no issue, most of (naturally) faster drivers can do that, but to achieve that extra tenth, hundreth, thousand... It takes hours, days, weeks and thousands of attempts.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back