Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 31,772 comments
There's something really depressing about fighting at my absolute limit to get within .3 of gold at Laguna Seca knowing the aliens are going 2.5 seconds faster without really trying.
I wouldn't say it's without really trying, they've usually spent a very long time learning the circuits, where the track limits are etc. as well as the general game physics. They've put the time in and they then put even more time in to get better with the specific car for that time trial. If you watch the replays they're often not doing anything special other than driving a smooth line and turning in the car with the throttle when required.

I find it frustrating when I can't improve past bronze not because other players are aliens, but because I don't have as much time to practice as they do. Seeing the silver and gold times get further out of reach because they've had time to keep trying is definitely pretty annoying. Part of me wishes they had a way of tracking how long you'd spent with a certain car & circuit combo to adjust the target times accordingly but that would be way too much work for very little return.

Last edited:
It's definitely not at all without trying. I think it's believed that some people are just naturally good at it and while there are a few who truly seem to be aliens, there are many who work very very hard to get in that upper echelon.

Edit to add: I'm not sure where it comes from but throughout my life I've heard it takes 10k hours to be a master of a thing. I'm a tradesman and have a skill that I've been working at for the better part of the last 20 years and I still have a long ways to go... I have tried to count the hours I've put in and I reached somewhere around 19k a few years back by all estimates. I still don't consider myself an expert. I learn things most every time I go to work. So, just keep that in mind when you feel frustrated.

Wow, Murcielago at Monza, I hope it will be at sunset, can't wait to drive that in VR :cool:

Not really, we just discussed several pages ago, top time at Spa took a week and 5 hours a day just grinding that to nail the perfect lap. Also, Kylian said that he drove something like 2000km to achieve that time at Laguna Seca. Yes, they can nail the gold lap in 3-5 minutes, no issue, most of (naturally) faster drivers can do that, but to achieve that extra tenth, hundreth, thousand... It takes hours, days, weeks and thousands of attempts.
I wouldn't say it's without really trying, they've usually spent a very long time learning the circuits, where the track limits are etc. as well as the general game physics. They've put the time in and they then put even more time in to get better with the specific car for that time trial. If you watch the replays they're often not doing anything special other than driving a smooth line and turning in the car with the throttle when required.

I find it frustrating when I can't improve past bronze not because other players are aliens, but because I don't have as much time to practice as they do. Seeing the silver and gold times get further out of reach because they've had time to keep trying is definitely pretty annoying. Part of me wishes they had a way of tracking how long you'd spent with a certain car & circuit combo to adjust the target times accordingly but that would be way too much work for very little return.

Alright then, aliens going 1.5 seconds a lap faster than me without trying.

Last edited:
320_d4f202ddc24226abf6b09945e265dfe1.png
Oh no, the first chicane will ruin everything as usually but this time there is no other than me to blame! 😯 It looks interesting and at the same time difficult.

Alright then, aliens going 1.5 seconds a lap faster than me without trying.
That just simply mean that they have certain skills you are missing and/or better at for the skills you have.

Compare to myself probably a year or so ago, I posses a lot more driving skill nowadays. I understand how to set up my corner. I can now more or less induce oversteer or understeer during entry/exit. I understand how to transfer weight and balance the car during different situation way better. Not to mention more precise on trail braking, using the entire track, keeping my eyes looking forward, etc.

All these had resulted in me getting to the top 100 once in a great while....when a year or 2 ago I barely able to gold (with a lot of effort).

And I don't gained all the aboved skills just from blindly driving laps. I actually semi actively search and find out what skills I could be missing, and how to do better with what I have. Then I practice those skills delibrately.

I don't know if that's the same for the others who are at around my pace (or faster), but that's how I did it.

Last edited:

I am surprised as I was a bronze gentleman about 18 months ago and I did improve over time without investing much more time. Of course there are TTs that I like more and suit me better (GR1 or 2 for example) and some where I still suck (almost every road car before 1990).

This section of GTPlanet will give you support and advice to help you to reach your goal. That's probably why I still compete regurarly in Time Trials despite being placed between 10.000 and 20.000 most of the time. I wish that you are less frustrated and would love to support you to regain fun (despite dozens of other members here are faster and better driver).

A few ways to decress the time spent on learning the track.

1. Use reference point. Be it a sign post, curbs, patch of grass, stain on a wall, tire marks. And use these reference points precisely....don't just use it like....oh I see this sign and I brake. Use it more like...when this sign cross the a-piler or when this patch of grass get behind the fender, then I brake.

2. Follow a fast ghost and see the line they use. Reset the ghost at each sector so it doesn't run away from you too much. Most of time, you can find a second or more simply just by using the right line.

Last edited:
There's something really depressing about fighting at my absolute limit to get within .3 of gold at Laguna Seca knowing the aliens are going 2.5 seconds faster without really trying.

lol yeah I always get a kick out of the guys who stop into the thread here to comment that "I had a tough time with this one! Took me nearly ten laps!" and they post the pic of their time and it's like a 1.75% gold lap! :lol:

It's definitely not at all without trying. I think it's believed that some people are just naturally good at it and while there are a few who truly seem to be aliens, there are many who work very very hard to get in that upper echelon.

How much we talk about this topic we mix data that are in different realms.

If we are referring to an absolute value (103% of gold) then I think I agree with the idea that some people have natural, or (better) second nature skills that put them in a position to put in only 10 laps

If we are referring to a relative value (taking those last tenths off one's time) then I think that each of us can do it only through training, dedication and study.

I still think TTs are challenging myself, more than anything else

I may be mistaken, but I think the colors for any cars newer than 2000 are all available for purchase at any time in Brand Central are they not? I always try and limit my buys from the UCD to cars older than 2000 for that reason. I know I can save a few credits by buying used, but somehow the "luster" of acquiring the different colors is diminished for the newer cars by them being in Brand Central all the time anyway...
I think that is true indeed, but in my case...I'm just lazy....having all cars (exept for the recently added M3) ...with a lot of them double and around 90 million credits I just buy if the car or colour attracks me, and I never even look at milage on cars, I just drive them 🤣😁

So this recent purchased Murcielago is going to get some extra miles on it 😁😁

Last edited:
A little disappointed that after putting in 400km, I only produced one lap that was close to my PB... :indiff:

I might have to settle for the .7 I have at Bathurst...I really wanted to improve more, I know I have time in store, as the PB lap wasn't perfect to my skill.

I might have to throw in the towel, but in any case, this will beat my previous record of 92nd in a TT. :)

I see what you feel (except for me it is often 0.3 of bronze 😅)
lol yeah I always get a kick out of the guys who stop into the thread here to comment that "I had a tough time with this one! Took me nearly ten laps!" and they post the pic of their time and it's like a 1.75% gold lap! :lol:
🤣
top time at Spa took a week and 5 hours a day just grinding that to nail the perfect lap
except @stpatty is talking about aliens in general, not world record lap, and maybe he exagerating a bit to express his frustration

and the fact that players who get into gold zone "easily" may have worked hard to reach that level does not prevent slower players to get frustrated when they put a lot of effort for a result others seem to achieve with one hand on controller via PS Remote on their 13" laptop 😅

I am surprised as I was a bronze gentleman about 18 months ago and I did improve over time without investing much more time. Of course there are TTs that I like more and suit me better (GR1 or 2 for example) and some where I still suck (almost every road car before 1990).

This section of GTPlanet will give you support and advice to help you to reach your goal. That's probably why I still compete regurarly in Time Trials despite being placed between 10.000 and 20.000 most of the time. I wish that you are less frustrated and would love to support you to regain fun (despite dozens of other members here are faster and better driver).
The thing is I can usually get silver times fairly easily, and I'm happy with getting silver times, which just makes the ones I can only get bronze on even more frustrating! I'm not going to give up though, I'm sure eventually I'll have another '2 laps to get silver at Mt. Panorama' moment and all will be well.

A few ways to decress the time spent on learning the track.

1. Use reference point. Be it a sign post, curbs, patch of grass, stain on a wall, tire marks. And use these reference points precisely....don't just use it like....oh I see this sign and I brake. Use it more like...when this sign cross the a-piler or when this patch of grass get behind the fender, then I brake.

2. Follow a fast ghost and see the line they use. Reset the ghost at each sector so it doesn't run away from you too much. Most of time, you can find a second or more simply just by using the right line.
I've always used reference points like that in racing games, so no issues there! The ghost thing is something I only learned about recently but I don't find it all that useful as I find it distracting. My times often get worse with the ghost enabled. I tend to learn a lot more from reviewing replays carefully.

Last edited:
That just simply mean that they have certain skills you are missing and/or better at for the skills you have.

Compare to myself probably a year or so ago, I posses a lot more driving skill nowadays. I understand how to set up my corner. I can now more or less induce oversteer or understeer during entry/exit. I understand how to transfer weight and balance the car during different situation way better. Not to mention more precise on trail braking, using the entire track, keeping my eyes looking forward, etc.

All these had resulted in me getting to the top 100 once in a great while....when a year or 2 ago I barely able to gold (with a lot of effort).

And I don't gained all the aboved skills just from blindly driving laps. I actually semi actively search and find out what skills I could be missing, and how to do better with what I have. Then I practice those skills delibrately.

I don't know if that's the same for the others who are at around my pace (or faster), but that's how I did it.
Same. Last year this time I was starting to understand the things I didn't before. I had a simple goal of just golding every TT from that point. Once that became manageable without having to put my life on hold, I started to work on the nuance more. The real subtle stuff... I still have to work hard occasionally for gold and if I find a connection with a car and track combo I'll really put some time in to see just how far I can go. I've been lucky enough to find a few top 100 placements in the last few months.

Diligent persistence pays off. At the end of the day it is just a game and the whole point is to enjoy it so I really try and just do that to the fullest.

I really do like the Clio @ Mt. Panorama one, if only because it feels so different than the usual Gr.3 or Gr.4 cars that I'm used to driving at this venue. I'll check to see if I'm still in gold range later today, and if I'm too close to being booted out of gold range, I'll see if I can improve my current best.

EDIT: No doubt that the Murcielago @ Monza one that's coming tomorrow has something to do with the fact that the Italian GP is this Sunday, just like how the GTWS Nations Cup Exhibition Series 1 round that's this Saturday is at the same venue, albeit with the two SF23 variants. (Which I'd still say is a reasonable substitute for a contemporary F1 racer like the Mercedes-AMG W08 we had in GT Sport, or the Ferrari F2007 and F10 that were both only in GT5.)

Last edited:
I'm glad there is another one tomorrow

I did a lot of miles past week on Suzuka to get me a descent time, problem then is that I immediately lose interest in it, so returning is not gonna happen..

Same goes for the AMG.... it was a real struggle to get to know the car and physics a bit and did enough miles on it....

Then Mount Panaroma.... nice combo and I'm very capable of top 100 on it , should be around 160/170 right now but just had enough of it......

Then Spa is left......God I despice that handling 🤣, slide without squeeking as @Dan_Tes mentioned already, it understeers if you even think about it.... Eau Rouge is a real murder wapon.....and don't even try braking .... for me this was a gold and run,

So im very happy once I'm in that Lambo 😁🤣🤣

Quick session with nsx at suzuka to get me back into gold. Optimals at high 1:49. I may try if I get some more time.
1000019843-jpg.1384761
1000019842.jpg

EDIT: spa time.
Had to come back to adult spa. Pretty fast found my flow and improved back to gold, and again, didn't save my ghost...
1000019845.jpg
1000019844.jpg

Attachments

• 1000019843.jpg
    1000019843.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
These TTs are the absolute best way to challenge yourself to use all the skills you have. There are no other cars around to distract you...just you, the car (your partner), and the track (the dance floor)....so let's dance :)
This , I started this game couple months ago for I went straight for the TT so i can get some quick cash , I improved my skills and switched to manual for the very first time in my GT History so i can gold those TT

Licenses and missions feel easy asf now compared to them

Licenses and missions feel easy asf now compared to them
Licenses are easy-peasy (with a few exception) if you can gold most of the online TT 🤣 I was able to gold all the tests with some difficulty without knowing any of the driving techniques 🙈

It will be fun (and very mean) if license tests gold, silver, bronze is similar to how online TT works 🤪 Most of us...me included...wouldn't gold any of them :lol::lol:

Licenses are easy-peasy (with a few exception) if you can gold most of the online TT 🤣 I was able to gold all the tests with some difficulty without knowing any of the driving techniques 🙈

It will be fun (and very mean) if license tests gold, silver, bronze is similar to how online TT works 🤪 Most of us...me included...wouldn't gold any of them :lol::lol:
Come on muffin. We know better than that.

In your face Renault Laguna Sausage Seca!! 1:21.226 Gold baby :gtpflag:

As some of you know I've spent A LOT of time on this one, I don't know why but something told me if I could finally nail 2 of the 3 sectors I'd get it, It's a shame it took about 6 hours of trying. I still don't fully know how 2 laps around here can feel like they are the same time but are actually 5 tenths apart and in truth, as my lap shows, I messed up Turn 3, the Corkscrew and the final left-hander and somehow chopped nearly a tenth off my previous time.

Now if the servers can go down until Friday so the gold can't change that'd be great :cool:

I'm off for a beer, you can all laugh at my lap

EDIT: the lap is also now up on YT now

Last edited:
Back