Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,190 comments
54012681225_5e97871148_o.jpg

Despite this car's annoying handling traits, I got back into the gold bracket. The torque curve is nasty at the top end and it can catch you out soo easily on corner exit. Combined with a relatively low downforce package, it's a deadly combination that can only be tamed by intense focus and fast decision making.

I'm shocked that I made it at almost into the 1'31.000's. My time atm is 1'32.086. So this would be a good ranking if I did not improve anymore. I guess it depends on how motivated I am to tackle it anymore.

Man this is hard to get into a top 100 at Suzuka, good beneath the 1% and not even slided in yet 🙈🤣
Love the balance between slide and squeeky tires, a sub 1:01 should be doable but then absolutely everything has to work 🤣

1000025984.jpg

T1 wss ok but definitely not my fastest, but last sector was epic 😁 ( for me ) 🤣

Sorry @AdxRE now you have to go again 😜

@Gomario JSP I'm killing Grand valley with that Red Bull monster. I've already got a time of 1'30.967. I'm losing steam though. It would be a miracle if I could get a gold medal on my birthday which is Monday. The Suzuka one. I'm at 1'02.862. I need to find those missing three hundredths or more. It's been a long journey in the Gran Turismo world.

In that case I don't think I will bother with that TT then bronze is even someway off, I just appear to be a squealing mess of missed apexes and slow exit speeds.
Came back today to Dragons Tail in the Corvette, a rental, put some assists on and did four laps best of which was a six seconds improvement from my previous best, very solid bronze time. Stability control and a bit of traction control make such a difference.

@Gomario JSP I'm killing Grand valley with that Red Bull monster. I've already got a time of 1'30.967. I'm losing steam though. It would be a miracle if I could get a gold medal on my birthday which is Monday. The Suzuka one. I'm at 1'02.862. I need to find those missing three hundredths or more. It's been a long journey in the Gran Turismo world.
If you want a gold plate on monday you should Hammer on Suzuka, just a few corners and a very short track, means easier gold but harder at the high top.
Uploaded my lap under SuzukaTT, you could take a look at the gearing, 3th is your friend
GV I haven't touched yet, and don't know if I am going to.... still a devil/angel shoulder....

Hi guys (and Greek)

Happy Birthday GIF by Sesame Street

Almost 2 tenths shaved with Miss Miata at Suzuka ;)

1727010989462.png

S1: 25.608 - 0.150 over my very best, it's far from perfect but I'll take it.
S2: 18.088 - I've finally managed to keep a decent speed in the Esses. I never had a 17.9xx here :nervous:
S3: 17.850 - My very best and very close to Tidgney's (+0.008). Love the S3 :dopey:

There's still some tenths (mostly on the 1st sector) but I've decided to be happy with this score.
Less than a second from the current WR, I couldn't imagine such final result here.

1727012794037.png

And as @Lomic would say, hope it will hold :D

12 sessions today, mostly 5 to 10 laps each.

Many red laps, many issues to stick 3 decent sectors, many restarts, very few optimals below my PB, but I didn't gave up and finally:

1727011657253.png

And for the record, here are the data for my previous PB:

1727012913605.png

Good luck everyone and happy lapping, friends :)

Last edited:
Wow, I didn't see that one coming at all: Suzuka was supposed to be a home run for me: a statistically easy TT in a car I love and know better than any other car on the planet. But I I'm struggling like hell. Not in the "I'm struggling to get into top 1,000" sense, but in the "I don't know how to reach gold" way.

Even my current PB of 1:02.740 felt like a stroke of luck, in most laps I can't go below 1:03. No, scratch that. In most laps I can't even survive turn 1 because I either overshoot or drift off the track. It is that or losing almost a second compared to the WR. It's basically the Honda event at Spa all over again, but here it is much more unexpected.

Looking at your posts and my friends board this is clearly a "me" problem. I seem to be missing something obvious, but I can't figure it out. Maybe you guys spot something in my lap, I would appreciate it.

Wow, I didn't see that one coming at all: Suzuka was supposed to be a home run for me: a statistically easy TT in a car I love and know better than any other car on the planet. But I I'm struggling like hell. Not in the "I'm struggling to get into top 1,000" sense, but in the "I don't know how to reach gold" way.

Even my current PB of 1:02.740 felt like a stroke of luck, in most laps I can't go below 1:03. No, scratch that. In most laps I can't even survive turn 1 because I either overshoot or drift off the track. It is that or losing almost a second compared to the WR. It's basically the Honda event at Spa all over again, but here it is much more unexpected.

Looking at your posts and my friends board this is clearly a "me" problem. I seem to be missing something obvious, but I can't figure it out. Maybe you guys spot something in my lap, I would appreciate it.

Hey Crome :)

Good to see you (slower than me for once :P).

S1: it's the nightmare for many of us, not just you. There's a light error at the entrance of the 1st turn.
I brake at the 50 board (on the left) and let the car slow down in the first curve. Then I downshift into 3rd with another short brake (only when the wheels are straight) to take the 2nd turn around 100km/h. Your 26.1xx is too slow. You could gain 0.5 sec here.

S2: yours seems correct to me but I don't see exactly where you lose these 0.3/0.5.

S3: I'm not sure but you're losing too much speed here. A good S3 is 18.0xx max. No brake here, just let the car flow and try to keep the speed over 90km/h or higher.

Based on my calculations, your spits are:
S1 - 26.1
S2 - 18.3
S3 - 18.3

and still based on my calculations, you only need 0.3 to enter the gold mine :)

Last edited:
Hi guys (and Greek)

Happy Birthday GIF by Sesame Street

Almost 2 tenths shaved with Miss Miata at Suzuka ;)

View attachment 1391319

S1: 25.608 - 0.150 over my very best, it's far from perfect but I'll take it.
S2: 18.088 - I've finally managed to keep a decent speed in the Esses. I never had a 17.9xx here :nervous:
S3: 17.850 - My very best and very close to Tidgney's (+0.008). Love the S3 :dopey:

There's still some tenths (mostly on the 1st sector) but I've decided to be happy with this score.
Less than a second from the current WR, I couldn't imagine such final result here.

View attachment 1391323

And as @Lomic would say, hope it will hold :D

12 sessions today, mostly 5 to 10 laps each.

Many red laps, many issues to stick 3 decent sectors, many restarts, very few optimals below my PB, but I didn't gave up and finally:

View attachment 1391321

And for the record, here are the data for my previous PB:

View attachment 1391324

Good luck everyone and happy lapping, friends :)
1000001947.gif

Bravo mon ami !!!!! 👏 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Thank you cher Jérôme, I really appreciate your message ;)
Hard work always pay off. Just a matter of patience, and dedication.
And it's "a bit" easier when the combo is really joyful!!
I'm really happy for you and you know I'm sincere. As you say it's just a matter of patience and perseverance and when the combo is magnificent we can have fun.
Bravo encore mon cher ami Daniel !!!!

It's time to report my latest achievements :D
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240919111955.jpg
At last, after doing some further exploration in the woods (and dealing with some mysterious tunnels and sharp corners...) I finally found that elusive gold mine everyone was talking about.
The most annoying thing: I've had at least a couple of 1:34s laps in my hands but, as usual, I blew it at that sharp left hander after the last tunnel... could have done much better than this but still, its another gold medal which doesn't happen very often so no complains there.

Now it's time to take the Dragon to the Vette (... or is it the other way around?)
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240919115453.jpg
First of all, I have to come clean about this: I did use CSA combined with TCS 1.
I'm not a huge fan of using either CSA or ASM when doing TTs, but this time I had to... and it helped me quite a lot, now that everything feels more "manageable" and I don't have to worry about the car sliding as much, I can start focusing on my racing line and braking points. Watching Tidgneys video also helped immensely.
I did improve some of the sectors after this PB, but pulling off a "perfect lap" is always easier said than done... I guess I'll leave it as it is, fun combo though.

After that, it was time for some open top fun at Suzuka:
Gran Turismo™ 7_20240921190638.jpg
What a joy this is :) I love this kind of TT, technical track with a not-so-powerful street car, it's perfection!
It took me only 20 laps (if that many...) to get here, without watching ANY videos... and if I recall correctly, that PB was made with TCS off, which is even more remarkable (or I just got lucky).
However, having TCS 1 does help a bit.
I will definitely come back as I'm just 0.07 away from gold, its so close I can almost smell it!
Haven't tried the Grand Valley TT yet, I'm still building up the courage to even touch it...

Last edited:
I got further improvement but still outside of gold. I’ll come back to it today.
IMG_8610.jpeg

Looking at the global leader board what is up with the top 10? There’s over a second gap between 1 And 10 and almost no one has a replay.
IMG_8609.jpeg

My inner conspiracy guy tells me that there’s unnatural elements at play here. We’re going beyond regular 👽 and selling your soul to the devil 👺

:D

Last edited:

For turn 1, stay a bit on throttle all the time to keep the car stable under breaking...
Or (what i prefer) shift into 6th gear give a short breaking input and let the car slide through the first halft of the turn without doing anything. 😂
For S2, take a wider line into the corners to carry more speed through there.

There is A LOT to gain in T1, my way to be consistent for this is to brake at the 50 into the slide and hit the first apex while sliding and try to get to the left side asap while coasting and gently feed throttle and little brake inputs to stabilize the slide, but if you take a look at my lap you'll notice I have very minimal input during the whole corner,
But my S1 25.300 so that's quite a difference.
There is a but....... it's the most difficult corner of the whole TT 🤣🤣

Did maybe 10 laps on Suzuka yesterday and hit 1:01.8xx. Turn 1 and 2 are weird with the MX-5 and i think gold should be safe so I won't do anymore laps there... Also tried the RB (on a alt though) and yeah... nope.. not a fan. Got into silver but that's enough for me. Won't even bother on my main 😂

Wanted to head back upstairs to get behind the wheel but my little female Gandalf won't let me pass

xD.jpg

hey that's me in front on the left ! (no for long though) 😅 tried to use my right indicator so everyone pass in front before the dreaded T1, hard to switch it of after, I then walked among the deads to a final and not so bad place for once 🤣

but on race 2, adrenaline levels where settled and much less carnage happened, too bad for me 😁

Looking at the global leader board what is up with the top 10? There’s over a second gap between 1 And 10 and almost no one has a replay.
View attachment 1391331

My inner conspiracy guy tells me that there’s unnatural elements at play here. We’re going beyond regular 👽 and selling your soul to the devil 👺

:D
I'd be willing to bet, with the names showing up on that leaderboard, this very event is expected to be a race at the Tokyo event next weekend. Those folks don't want to give anything away. And, there it is. The Grand Final.

Last edited:
The Corvette C4 @ Dragon Trail Seaside is definitely challenging, but I did just get a time that’s around 1:57.5xx, putting me into silver range. My OPT was even 1:56.9xx, but even if I could get a time like that, I have no idea how I’d potentially shave off a further second to get into gold range.

Hi,

A frustrating and annoying and entertaining day on Time Trials here today...

Deep into the 2% club at Suzuka. This kind of thing "floats my boat". 1:01:7xx. Nailing that last right hander is going to be a challenge! That challenge is accepted - Plenty of time to to play with here.

Dragon Trail... This is becoming my Nemesis now. I have re-named it Dragon Trial!!! I am right on the money until the Chicane Of Death, Despair, Doom, Defeat - NOPE!, Despondency, Desperation, Darnation... I have tried every trick and every tack. I simply cannot get this thing right. Almost every lap is invalidated by the smallest touch of the wall or is a complete wreck fest. I have been over a full second up on my best time, then blown it by "kissing" the barrier or just slamming the walls. If I can get this section just right, this would be my highest ever finish in a Time Trial. Soooooo close, yet sooooooo far. Grrrrrrr!!!

I had a quick look at Grand Valley and then thought that the shed needs a coat of paint and the weeds need to be pulled in the dog's kennel. 😳

Very best regards to all here.

Ian.

Back