Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,235 comments
So the good news is: thanks in no small part to this amazing community I have finally found the entrance to the gold mine in Suzuka. Does that mean the combo finally clicked for me? The answer is a resounding:

No Way Hot Ones GIF by First We Feast

I‘ve tried millions of different ways to tackle T1 (ok, slight exaggeration), played around with assists and different controller sensitivity settings, but it still was like a dance on a razor‘s edge. Every once in a blue moon I felt like I perfectly nailed all the inputs and followed the ghost‘s line to a tee, I would do a virtual dance of joy, then look at the sector split … and it‘s still only a 25.9. It‘s as if everyone is on racing tires except me.

Don‘t get me wrong, getting gold at all is nothing to scoff at, but given the relative simplicity of this one and, again, my history with the car, it‘s just mindblowing that I suck so bad here.

Anyway, I think I‘m done here. Next chance I get I‘ll give the Red Bull a try (so far only had a few exploration laps that landed me in silver). Maybe this restores some of the confidence in my abilities that I lost at Suzuka ;)

Happy lapping!

Last edited:
@crome Happy lapping to you too. I totally give up at Seaside. That streetcar slides too much and the chicane of death grates my nerves everytime I go through it. I know Grand Valley is out of the question for gold and silver. I managed a 1'30.967 the other day which is shocking to me.

Last edited:
So the good news is: thanks in no small part to this amazing community I have finally found the entrance to the gold mine in Suzuka. Does that mean the combo finally clicked for me? The answer is a resounding:

No Way Hot Ones GIF by First We Feast

I‘ve tried millions of different ways to tackle T1 (ok, slight exaggeration), played around with assists and different controller sensitivity settings, but it still was like a dance on a razor‘s edge. Every once in a blue moon I felt like I perfectly nailed all the inputs and followed the ghost‘s line to a tee, I would do a virtual dance of joy, then look at the sector split … and it‘s still only a 25.9. It‘s as if everyone is on racing tires except me.

Don‘t get me wrong, getting gold at all is nothing to scoff at, but given the relative simplicity of this one and, again, my history with the car, it‘s just mindblowing that I suck so bad here.

Anyway, I think I‘m done here. Next chance I get I‘ll give the Red Bull a try (so far only had a few exploration laps that landed me in silver). Maybe this restores some of the confidence in my abilities that I lost at Suzuka ;)

Happy lapping!
Bravo @crome !!!
Hard work always pays off.

This TT is a real trap. We think that with this simple track and this not too powerful car, it should be a formality to get gold.
In fact, not at all. Getting gold is far from easy, and as previoulsy said by someone here (@Gomario JSP maybe), scoring a fast gold (Top 1000 or Top 100) is really hard.

Once again, bravo :)

Finally had some seat time to start the Dragon Trail TT last night. At first the Vette was a a handful, but once I realised that the trick for stability is delayed downshifts into the corners, I really started enjoying this one.

If time permits, I will return before it ends. My optimals are in the 54s. I just need to be smooth through S1 and braver through the chicane.

@Dan_Tes @Chris30 Happy belated birthday wishes to you 🥳

Happy Hunting guys!

1922277cf8f47-screenshotUrl.jpg

Well I think it's time for the aliens to take a small break and get distracted with something else besides time trialing and stealing the gold, xD. Would be good for us mortals out there.

Tried remote play on my PC, easier than going down in the living-room while I am supposed to work 😅 .

Screen resolution is not very good (720P) but it feels playable.

Went to DT and oh my... my laps were shirt... far from my current record, but a good improvement during that session, I've not ran this TT since long ago so... need to learn everything again.

This is a big reason why I often struggle at TTs. I don't play a lot every day (DW and rarely more) and I don't only do TTs, so sometimes, especially if I am not fan of the combo or if it is hard (for me) I tend to play one or 2 times in the beginning, then let it aside, and play one or two times just before the end. With bad results of course.

In that particular case, I did one lap when the TT became available, then 10 laps the next day and nothing since then. So in this 10 laps stint, I had nearly everything to learn again.

WhatsApp Image 2024-09-24 à 09.21.02_5eb97561.jpg

Optimal not even close to my record (1:58.653) but funnily my record from today is exactly 1s slower 😅

Maybe remote play is slowing me a bit too, not sure how bad is the input lag.

I got quite worried when I saw the aliens improved, but managed to string together what is pretty much a perfect lap by my standards and I'm down to a 1:27.055, which should hopefully be enough to keep gold, because I really don't feel like I can go any faster in the X2019. Lots of experimentation with the settings, I ended up settling on CSA Weak and TCS 1. It requires some careful throttle control, but I felt like more TCS was holding me back.

So this is where I'm at currently...

SHARE_20240924_0844410.jpeg

Don't know why but I just don't have the desire to chase anything more here, I actually set this time with the Corvette on the first try, and thought to myself, nice, I'm gonna go into the 53s at some point, but ever since that first attempt I wasn't able to get close to my time, I don't even know if I finished 2 or 3 laps without restarts, the curbs are just diabolical, which is a shame because the Vette is quite nice to drive in VR.

As for the Mazda, such a dissapointing little car, the first turn beautifully highlights everything that's wrong with the new GT physics, the rest of the lap is more or less easy, apart from the last corner which can be a bit of a lottery. I mean, yes, I got a nice time on both, not bad at all, but I just don't have the motivation to put myself through a thousand-restart-misery because of the external factors that I have to work around (physics and curbs).

Waiting for the next one :D

Well I think it's time for the aliens to take a small break and get distracted with something else besides time trialing and stealing the gold, xD. Would be good for us mortals out there.
I suppose we should be safe on Thursday : most of the aliens go to tokyo for round 3 of the World series, and the races take place Saturday if I'm not mistaken. And after that, they don't have any incentive to improve their times after the race (I guess).

Update : that must be the reason why we don't have any replay, maybe they don't want to show each other how they do it ?

Last edited:
Gave a go at GV + Red Bull car 😅

Man that's fast and tense... first laps were full garbage, but I began to manage in the end.

GV-RB-10laps-1.jpg

With a bit of training, silver might be achievable. There are still a lot of improvement to be made on some parts of the track. And on remote play I barely see inside the tunnels.

Once you've realized that you can maintain full throttle on lot of parts, you gain a good chunk of time, but trajectory must not be hesitant.

500k in the pocket and maybe 1M

I like the combo, but it is intense, my hands were shaking after 10 laps, and don't know about the heart rate but I am happy there are more relaxed combos too 😅

Back