Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 32,577 comments
Took me about a dozen laps, but nailed gold, at 2.04% and a little under 8k placing. Fun little TT actually!

20970255820739814.jpg

Livery based on a concept by Livery Magic on Instagram, with a few adjustments to better reflect me.

Did some trialing yesterday. Got into gold at watkins, wanted to go below 1:15 but my brake pedal felt like it wasn't working like it supposed to. Same thing when I tried red bull spaceship at GV. Checked, and everything is fine so maybe it is just a matter of not playing gt for couple of days.
1924bc7ff4413-screenshotUrl.jpg
1924bc7ff453-screenshotUrl.jpg

I won’t go in to how many miles I did just to improve by one tenth, this one blows. That’s probably it for me, and the Mx5 and its bizarre handling can do one too 👎🏼

Ah good I was that fed up I didn’t screenshot my time. Well, it was slightly faster than my previous fastest lap, by around one tenth…

IMG_9048.jpeg

This wasn’t during a lap, this is staged, this was necessary. The cones are my proverbial punching bag. Good riddance 👊🏽

Last edited:
Another 2/10s in a quick unexpected session yesterday

1727872209158.png

There are another 3 tenths just by putting a lap togheter. Improving from there is all another story.

Allow me to occupy some more space here. I don't usually put in lap pictures, but cannot avoid this tribute to Gabriele "Cinghio" Tarquini, one of my favorite drivers back in the days, driving amd winning with this Italian beauty around Europe

1727872597859.png

Why do you put competitive in quotation marks? Are you saying it's artificial and therefore meaningless?
I think he meant that it's relative to wider margins on a longer lap with faster or trickier cars to drive.

Gr4 cars are stable/predictable and in relative terms slow. This means lots of people are able to drive them pretty quick so the times converge quickly and it becomes about 1/100s or 1/1000s

If this was upscaled to a faster car and more challenging circuit the spread in times naturally would be a lot more separating the good from the great by bigger margins.

At least that's how I interpreted it 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, newmedia_dev already answered with what I mean.

Anyway, did the Mazda Roadster the other evening. Not quite my idea of fun or pleasure, this TT. The kinda TT you do in about an hour and then leave. More power to you if you like it, but surely wasn’t my thing.

1924d17da3d63-screenshotUrl.png

... and yeah, just like @Dan_Tes above, struggling a lot at Grand Valley in the X2019. I think it was okay at Road Atlanta (even if the repeat was absolute ass) but I don’t see how it belongs at Grand Valley. Don’t think it works very well at all. À propos the earlier conversation, this is an example of a very competitive TT though. The absolute masters (aliens in the true sense of the word) of the game going all in with a very difficult car, at this track. High skill ceiling here.

I’ll admit I’m already just north of 1,000 kms in on this TT, sitting at a 1’26.675 currently. Got best S1 and S2 splits of 0'27.297 / 0'55.940 which I really should’ve carried home to a much better time, but unfortunately I drove like an absolute gorilla through the final sector and botched that lap (with botched, I mean, that was the one that ended up being 1’26.675).

That was Monday night, yesterday I struggled to even match mentioned S1&2 splits. But it’s weird, it feels like I’m off somehow, you know like there’s something that’s clicking for everyone else but somehow not for you. Maybe that doesn’t make sense or maybe some people here have felt that way in some TT’s. I know the Mercedes-Benz 190E at Dragon Trail Gardens was like that for me as well, never really clicked. With that said, I can’t really grasp what I’m doing wrong though and there are people at somewhat equal times and even quicker times that I normally should be able to beat (no disrespect, just keeping history and statistics in mind). Hmm, bit mind-boggling. Final attempt later today...

Anyway, did the Mazda Roadster the other evening. Not quite my idea of fun or pleasure, this TT. The kinda TT you do in about an hour and then leave. More power to you if you like it, but surely wasn’t my thing.

View attachment 1393742

... and yeah, just like @Dan_Tes above, struggling a lot at Grand Valley in the X2019. I think it was okay at Road Atlanta (even if the repeat was absolute ass) but I don’t see how it belongs at Grand Valley. Don’t think it works very well at all. À propos the earlier conversation, this is an example of a very competitive TT though. The absolute masters (aliens in the true sense of the word) of the game going all in with a very difficult car, at this track. High skill ceiling here.

I’ll admit I’m already just north of 1,000 kms in on this TT, sitting at a 1’26.675 currently. Got best S1 and S2 splits of 0'27.297 / 0'55.940 which I really should’ve carried home to a much better time, but unfortunately I drove like an absolute gorilla through the final sector and botched that lap (with botched, I mean, that was the one that ended up being 1’26.675).

That was Monday night, yesterday I struggled to even match mentioned S1&2 splits. But it’s weird, it feels like I’m off somehow, you know like there’s something that’s clicking for everyone else but somehow not for you. Maybe that doesn’t make sense or maybe some people here have felt that way in some TT’s. I know the Mercedes-Benz 190E at Dragon Trail Gardens was like that for me as well, never really clicked. With that said, I can’t really grasp what I’m doing wrong though and there are people at somewhat equal times and even quicker times that I normally should be able to beat (no disrespect, just keeping history and statistics in mind). Hmm, bit mind-boggling. Final attempt later today...

Agreed. Watching the top visible replays is a work of art, the car control these guys have is insane. It’s one of the only trials where I feel like I’m losing time EVERYWHERE, literally not one corner where I feel I’m matching the pace of the top drivers except maybe the first corner.

This car is very sensitive to exact steering inputs so on a personal level that’s probably where I’m going wrong, the window for correct steering angle is tiny and without any force feedback to tell me where that is I’m just guessing each corner, compare that to Road Atlanta using the pre-update physics and the steering had tons of feedback so I knew exactly where I was under steering. I found that trial an absolute dream, high downforce seems to be my strongest area so even more frustrating that I’m struggling so much. I suspect messing around with wheel settings could solve some of that but I’m not really up for messing with what works for 95% of trials.

Also agreed on this track being completely unsuitable for this car.

And yet it kinda makes me want to do it again. Am I getting Stockholm syndrome, am I going to be imprisoned by this evil and then fall in love with it!??? SEND HELP

EDIT: this was my final time at Road Atlanta I think and I felt I could go faster… amazing how a small update can completely change a car.

IMG_7701.jpeg

Last edited:

Anyway, did the Mazda Roadster the other evening. Not quite my idea of fun or pleasure, this TT. The kinda TT you do in about an hour and then leave.
More like three minutes, aka three laps, once safely in gold it's bye Felicia!

...sitting at a 1’26.675 currently...

With that said, I can’t really grasp what I’m doing wrong though and there are people at somewhat equal times and even quicker times that I normally should be able to beat (no disrespect, just keeping history and statistics in mind). Hmm, bit mind-boggling. Final attempt later today...
No offense taken. :D

1727875411946.png

You'll get that magic lap in.

Last edited:
But it’s weird, it feels like I’m off somehow, you know like there’s something that’s clicking for everyone else but somehow not for you. Maybe that doesn’t make sense or maybe some people here have felt that way in some TT’s. I know the Mercedes-Benz 190E at Dragon Trail Gardens was like that for me as well, never really clicked.
Yup, I know the feeling all too well. In theory, you are doing everything right, but the time just isn't there, other guys are finding tenths and you are struggling to even match your previous best.

I can use the Vette at the DT as an example, I did a 1:54.2 on the first night of the TT, just driving around and testing some lines and gears, not really pushing too hard, and I thought to myself, nice, 53s are easily doable, I'll do it tomorrow and be done with it. 13 days later, I found myself still on 1:54.2, couldn't get near my time for the life of me, and I literally didn't finish 5 proper laps in the meantime, just errors everywhere, to the point that I start to hate the track, the physics, the car... Following some top ghosts, you do everything as you should, and the ghost just drives away on every single corner exit. Frustrating. But then on the last night, I just said to myself, OK, you can do this, gave it another ~200km and nailed it.

On the other hand - the Mazda TT, I hate the way the car handles and feels from the bottom of my heart, I didn't drive this car in real life, but I can bet my left arm that it doesn't handle this way, not even close. I'm currently at 1:01.185 I think, P333 in the world or something, which is quite far from my usual top 50, top 100, whatever, and I just don't have the desire to even try it, it doesn't click, it's a struggle as soon as I sit in it, and I will not try again for sure, just don't want to torture myself, I'm not improving my driving skills, I'm trying to work around the game flaws. Nope.

But the Alfa TT is a completely different story - I belive quite realistic handling for such a car, predictable, you know what you have to do and it's just a matter of doing all the right things properly in one lap - and you can show your skill, be that achieving silver, gold, top 500, top 100, top 10, whatever.

I won’t go in to how many miles I did just to improve by one tenth, this one blows. That’s probably it for me, and the Mx5 and its bizarre handling can do one too 👎🏼

Ah good I was that fed up I didn’t screenshot my time. Well, it was slightly faster than my previous fastest lap, by around one tenth…

View attachment 1393744

This wasn’t during a lap, this is staged, this was necessary. The cones are my proverbial punching bag. Good riddance 👊🏽
Jaaadiijaaa, Mazda...physics.....blah blah
You were fast mate.....but ......
just not fast enough moehaha
(Sorry had to do this) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Probably the one and only time this is happening 🙈🤣🤣

Jeez, I may have to run this combo again to protect my gtplanet no.1 time😁
Yeah you should have done this. 🤭

IMG_20241002_152834.jpg

S1 was great and a new personal best.
Unfortunately turned in a moment to late at the beginning of S2 and had the wrong line. 🥲
S3 was very good again, not far away from my optimals.
So looks like my first GT7 podium still has to wait. 🥺

Yup, I know the feeling all too well. In theory, you are doing everything right, but the time just isn't there, other guys are finding tenths and you are struggling to even match your previous best.
I thought I was the only one !!! 🤣🤣
Because as you say, many improve their time in the last few days. But frankly I can't get close to my best time 1 or 2 days before !!!! 🤔🤔

Getting back into these TTs again after a break.. Alfa at Watkins was super easy, didn't spend much time on it. MX5 at Suzuka was super easy (edit- easy to gold, not easy to climb up leader board!), golded it with a controller and auto transmission in a few laps the other day, then went back yesterday and improved a little bit with wheel/ VR. Didn't spend much time on it, could improve on both of those quite a bit.

But dang that Grand Valley X2019 TT! That one is tough. My optimal is only about 3 tenths off gold, but only have 15 hours left now.
Might try to gold it later today but don't have very high hopes! Maybe if I started before the last day I could get there eventually. 🤷‍♂️
Need to develop more feel for that car/ track combo to improve much. Was using TC 2 there. I think I need a stronger spring in my gas pedal actually.. CSL Elite V2 gas pedal spring is pretty wimpy, I'm always giving it a little too much throttle out of some corners using TC off or TC1 and then spinning, either that or not enough throttle and losing time that way.

GT7 TTs 10-1-24 IMG_6286.jpg

GT7 TT Alfa Watkins IMG_6287.jpg

gt7 grand valley x2019 tt IMG_6289.jpg

gt7 grand valley x2019 tt chart  IMG_6289.jpg

Last edited:

I can use the Vette at the DT as an example, I did a 1:54.2 on the first night of the TT, just driving around and testing some lines and gears, not really pushing too hard, and I thought to myself, nice, 53s are easily doable, I'll do it tomorrow and be done with it. 13 days later, I found myself still on 1:54.2, couldn't get near my time for the life of me, and I literally didn't finish 5 proper laps in the meantime, just errors everywhere, to the point that I start to hate the track, the physics, the car... Following some top ghosts, you do everything as you should, and the ghost just drives away on every single corner exit. Frustrating. But then on the last night, I just said to myself, OK, you can do this, gave it another ~200km and nailed it.

On the other hand - the Mazda TT, I hate the way the car handles and feels from the bottom of my heart, I didn't drive this car in real life, but I can bet my left arm that it doesn't handle this way, not even close. I'm currently at 1:01.185 I think, P333 in the world or something, which is quite far from my usual top 50, top 100, whatever, and I just don't have the desire to even try it, it doesn't click, it's a struggle as soon as I sit in it, and I will not try again for sure, just don't want to torture myself, I'm not improving my driving skills, I'm trying to work around the game flaws. Nope.

But the Alfa TT is a completely different story - I belive quite realistic handling for such a car, predictable, you know what you have to do and it's just a matter of doing all the right things properly in one lap - and you can show your skill, be that achieving silver, gold, top 500, top 100, top 10, whatever.
We are the same, @Vule

Jet Jaguar Friendship GIF

Jaaadiijaaa, Mazda...physics.....blah blah
You were fast mate.....but ......
just not fast enough moehaha
(Sorry had to do this) 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Probably the one and only time this is happening 🙈🤣🤣
We are not the same, @Gomario JSP

Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

(You are faster, :eek:)

The X2019 is weird. Even at A+ level back in GT Sport I was always competitive with it. I don't know if it's because I actually used TC, because I was too slow to overheat the tyres, whatever, I could always get a good lap and at least make up some places in the race.

I haven't done many laps of the new Grand Valley (the left hander before the bridge is a complete mystery) but I really don't think I can drive the car now. It moves too quickly through corners and I can feel my brain not being able to keep up and react properly and by the time I know what I think I want to do it's either past the corner and I'm an eternity too late to get on the power, or I've got on it too soon and I'm suddenly perpendicular to the racing line.

I did a 1:28.2 with a 27.9 on the optimum. I don't think I'd get near a 27.2 if I ran that exclusively from now until the end of the year.

The X2019 is weird. Even at A+ level back in GT Sport I was always competitive with it. I don't know if it's because I actually used TC, because I was too slow to overheat the tyres, whatever, I could always get a good lap and at least make up some places in the race.

I haven't done many laps of the new Grand Valley (the left hander before the bridge is a complete mystery) but I really don't think I can drive the car now. It moves too quickly through corners and I can feel my brain not being able to keep up and react properly and by the time I know what I think I want to do it's either past the corner and I'm an eternity too late to get on the power, or I've got on it too soon and I'm suddenly perpendicular to the racing line.

I did a 1:28.2 with a 27.9 on the optimum. I don't think I'd get near a 27.2 if I ran that exclusively from now until the end of the year.
Tried throwing on CSA?

Driving aids????
Canadian Judging You GIF
Don't judge till you try them. Most of the time you/we can brute force without them.

Buttttt if needs must needs must there is zero judgement nor trophies handed out for what makes your fastest lap.

At the very very very sharp end their is a minimal amount of bragging kudos but for us lot....just go fast, get gold and banter however you get there!

I feel like that too sometimes. It's like the rhythm you're used to is a little too slow. Seems like I need to overclock my brain temporarily to get my fastest laps, but I can't do that for many laps in a row. 😅

BWX
I feel like that too sometimes. It's like the rhythm you're used to is a little too slow. Seems like I need to overclock my brain temporarily to get my fastest laps, but I can't do that for many laps in a row. 😅
I did a run of ten laps and I think two of them were under 1:29.

135km's tonight and about 0.2s of improvement at watkins. Failed to get into 14's but I hit the ceiling here, after 130km's my optimals were where my time is now and my time around my last best. Did two restarts and hit my optimals. But I can't find any more time anywhere, during that longish stint I was doing sectors around 0.05s better or worse or closer.
1000020445.jpg
1000020444.jpg

Back