Time Trial Discussion

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 33,257 comments
Quick go at DTG in the M3

Hated it at first due to completely unrealistic handling, SH tyres better than they used to be but still a bit ridiculous oversteering at speed. Started to enjoy it by the end

Not the best week at work so I get the feeling I’ll be overdriving this car pretty soon! Really seems to benefit a smooth driving style and ABS weak seems to work nicely

IMG_9483.jpeg

Optimum well into 1:48s with just those inconsistent kerbs in S3 holding me back there

Hoping a good lap in the TTs this week will cheer me up 😁

I just wanted to check it out real quick on Fri. and was on the controller/ flat screen, ended up running quite a few laps and this was my first and only gold lap.
Another one I was surprised to gold with auto-trans and controller. 🤷‍♂️

Probably 3 thousand or something now. Might have to try it with wheel / VR.
DT TT M3 97 - IMG_6475.jpg

Quite a long journey my week and at Dragons Trail.
I started with few laps with no reference on Fri and slowly but steady progressed.

Yesterday I achieved a very very thin gold, happy to be there, but at the same time knowing that I had something more in the first and last corner.

An hour of practice followed in which I was steadily gaining 2 tenths out of the first corner, but by the time I got to the last one I was blowing it.

I was almost ready to give it up when on the last available lap, as I heard my wife getting up from her afternoon nap, I finally made it.

1729516930931.png

The other TT, on the other hand, really takes me very little. I already feel that Group B are arcade cars, plus Gt7's snow driving feels fake to me, I'll let you imagine the combination of the two.

This said from the height of my world championships won in real life in this kind of competition....😝

1729516986721.png

How do you guys see this TT? half arcade half sim or in line with the average TT of GT7?

Hi guys (and Greek)

Stop Motion Yes GIF by Mouse

Finally, I'm in the 1:50 with my M3 Alpina at Dragon Trail:

1729517452768.png

S1: 39.320 - Pfff, 3 tenths slower than my best S1. I struggle to be consistent on the exit of the second right turn.
S2: 36.181 - Thanks to @feral and bad I've improved my hairpin (thanks Buddy) and my speed in the long straight.
S3: 35.411 - The biggest mystery of this TT, where I'm totally unable to go faster no matter what I do...

It's still very unconsistent, and far from what I should score here. There are so many rooms for improvement, that I will probably come back soon:

1729517842341.png

1729517861618.png

@Credits: The creator of the livery of my M3 Alpina is Tijm10

Happy lapping friends ;)

Monsieur @Pesselles, you're not too much off the mark with sector 1. In my PB I got a 39.2 in it. Here and there I was hitting 39.1 or 39.0 but in the end 39.2 did the job for me.

About S3, the sausage chicane is all about opening up the corners.

Brake when the tip of the car hit this triangle shaped piece of curb. Brake and shift down to 3rd a little bit faster than you're probably doing in turn 1 or before the quadruple apexes in S2.
Screenshot_20241021-105521~2.png

Entering the chicane. See how Tidgney cut the curb way better than me. Now I realize I should've had aimed for the sausage, during my laps I aimed between the racing line and the sausage as an entering point.
Screenshot_20241021-113148.png

Inside the chicane, brake and change direction right after the red curb on your right. Not when the car hits it, but a tiny bit after.
Screenshot_20241021-105603~2.png

Aim for the sausage (I know.... It doesn't sound nice....😅) as if you want it to be in the middle of the car. Cutting this curb is key to open up the final turn.
Screenshot_20241021-105625.png

Do a throttle control work and keep judging when you can go 100% on gas in the final chicane turn.
Screenshot_20241021-105644.png

Hope I can help, those were the things I learned about the damn S3. Most of my lap time came from this sector.

Edit: corrected some typos.

Edit (2): lap has been shared, feel free to use it as a ghost.

Last edited:
@crome did you do something to better align newest post? Mine used to be off because of the plug-in showing latest TT standings under most users' names, but no longer.

Monsieur @Pesselles, you're not too much off the mark with sector 1. In my PB I got a 39.2 in it. Here and there I was hitting 39.1 or 39.0 but in the end 39.2 did the job for me.

Break when the tip of the car hit this triangle shaped piece of curb. Break and shift down to 3rd a little bit faster than you're probably doing in turn 1 or before the quadruple apexes in S2.
View attachment 1399326

Entering the chicane. See how Tidgney cut the curb way better than me. Now I realize I should've had aimed for the sausage, during my laps I aimed between the racing line and the sausage as an entering point.
View attachment 1399335

Inside the chicane, break and change direction right after the red curb on your right. Not when the cars hits it, but a tiny bit after.
View attachment 1399332

Aim for the sausage (I know.... It doesn't sound nice....😅) as if you want it to be in the middle of the car. Cutting this curb is key to open up the final turn.
View attachment 1399328

Do a throttle control work and keep judging when you can go 100% on gas on the final chicane turn.
View attachment 1399330

Hope I can help, those were the things I learned about the damn S3. Most of my lap time came from this sector.

Thank you very much and merci beaucoup for your advice! At the moment you are my go-to ghost and helped already a lot. I won't pass you for sure but cannot guarantee anything for @Pesselles as he doesn't eat enough croissants...

@crome did you do something to better align newest post? Mine used to be off because of the plug-in showing latest TT standings under most users' names, but no longer.
Umm no, not knowingly, and am also not aware of any alignment issues. I mean the plugin is currently displaying three TTs rather than the usual two, maybe this plays into it? Whatever the case, if you observe the behaviour again (perhaps after the Lake Louise TT is over), please share a screenshot and I'll see what I can do about it.

Brake when the tip of the car hit this triangle shaped piece of curb. Brake and shift down to 3rd a little bit faster than you're probably doing in turn 1 or before the quadruple apexes in S2.
View attachment 1399326

View attachment 1399335

Inside the chicane, brake and change direction right after the red curb on your right. Not when the cars hits it, but a tiny bit after.
View attachment 1399332

View attachment 1399328

Do a throttle control work and keep judging when you can go 100% on gas in the final chicane turn.
View attachment 1399330

Obrigado x 1,000 Mister @skydragon49 that's really awesome and I'll try to apply your advices for that damned S3.

Final word: your score here is just fantastic, really impressive and really deserved!!!

Obrigado x 1,000 Mister @skydragon49 that's really awesome and I'll try to apply your advices for that damned S3.

Final word: your score here is just fantastic, really impressive and really deserved!!!
Don't mention it my friend. I'm happy to share the things I've learned.

There are occasions when the TT really clicks with me, that's one of those cases.

I'm sure you'll find your way up the leaderboards. 😎

Hi guys (and Greek)

Happy Sesame Street GIF by Muppet Wiki

Yes, it's me again :lol:

Lapping with my M3 Alpina is finally addictive and I'm starting to get much more confident on apexes, braking points, and gear management. It's not yet perfect but it's getting better.

1729529470542.png

S1: 39.205 - still few tenths to gain here (my best S1 is 39.0xx)
S2: 36.347 - same as S1 because my hairpin was really medium
S3: 35.282 - first time below 35.4xx and I must credit Monsieur @skydragon49 !!!

I've followed your smart and kind advices and tried to reproduce them as much as possible.
When I'm in the middle of the final chicane (your 3rd pic), I downshift to 2nd gear to get a better motricity and upshift in 3rd when i can apply the throttle for the exit. I don't know if it's help or not (maybe it's just a placebo effect) but the car is more "driveable" this way. And I've gained +/- 2 tenths thanks to you!!! OBRIGADO 🙏

This score is far from perfect but now, my gold is safe.
And apparently, there are still many rooms for improvement:

1729530000795.png

You Know What Thinking GIF by Harlem

ATTACK!!!

and ABS weak seems to work nicely
Not in my best interest to give you advice on how to go faster, but try ABS default for one session, it's just a little bit more stable under braking, you don't lose the rear end so easily, especially on the entry to the quadruple left hander horror section.

I know you will go well into the 48s and I belive we would have a good battle to the end if I didn't hate this layout so much :D

Back